Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2016, 04:54   #1

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Point me to answers about visiting vessel registration in FL?

Not having much luck with the search tool here, and the FL website here https://www.flhsmv.gov/safety-center...ration-titles/ hasn't easily answered my question.

We're in early stages of planning a trip back down to FL, over winter 2017. The slightly easiest version would have the boat in FL longer than 90 days.

Does FL want to collect sales tax -- again (I've paid that in MD) -- or are visitors who have already paid similar-to-FL sales tax somewhere only liable for the registration fee of approx. $130?

-Chris
Old 18-09-2016, 05:37   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Point me to answers about visiting vessel registration in FL?

I researched this issue very carefully when I bought a boat in NY but had dual residence in FL and RI.

At that time the rules were

- If you bought a boat in another state and paid sales tax in that state then that would be credited against FL sales tax IF you were required to pay FL sales tax.

- If you purchased a boat in another state and legitimately used that boat in another state (not just park it at a marina just across a state line from FL waiting out the deadline) for a minimum of six months before bringing the boat to FL then you would not be liable for FL sales tax. NOTE. The burden of proof for this will be on the boat owner. It will be much easier if you were a resident of another state when purchasing the boat.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 05:39   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

By the way, you would technically be required to get a FL registration sticker if you're here more than 90 days but it isn't easy to track down someone moving around on a boat. Even if you do that's only a $100 or so at most.

If your boat is documented you cannot be made to put FL numbers on the boat but you are supposed to post the sticker in a visible location.
Old 18-09-2016, 05:59   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
- If you bought a boat in another state and paid sales tax in that state then that would be credited against FL sales tax IF you were required to pay FL sales tax.

- If you purchased a boat in another state and legitimately used that boat in another state (not just park it at a marina just across a state line from FL waiting out the deadline) for a minimum of six months before bringing the boat to FL then you would not be liable for FL sales tax. NOTE. The burden of proof for this will be on the boat owner. It will be much easier if you were a resident of another state when purchasing the boat.

Probably not so difficult to prove, I guess. Bought the boat 11 years ago, titled/registered in MD (and USCG documented), haven't been in FL with it during that time.

-Chris
Old 18-09-2016, 06:01   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
By the way, you would technically be required to get a FL registration sticker if you're here more than 90 days but it isn't easy to track down someone moving around on a boat. Even if you do that's only a $100 or so at most.

If your boat is documented you cannot be made to put FL numbers on the boat but you are supposed to post the sticker in a visible location.

I don't mind paying FL the reasonable amount... just want to be sure there wouldn't be any surprises.

-Chris
Old 18-09-2016, 06:12   #6

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

I went in 2013-14 winter and one thing you need to have is a state registration in addition to being documented. If you don't have a state other than Florida BEFORE ENTERING, I was told they could ticket you upon entry. I am documented and my home state is TN so I bought a TN registration before going to Fl. Also don't forget to register your dinghy in your home state too. At the time I was there the information below was current.

Once in Florida, you can stay 90 days on your home state registration. If over 90, then you are supposed to buy a Sojourners sticker. I was in and out of Florida and never stayed in any given time frame more than 90 days. Keep an electronic log (easy with Navionics or INavX apps) and you can prove you left and when you arrive. I heard nothing from cruisers about being ticketed or hassled over the 90 day rule. We were in the panhandle and West coast both coming and going.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 09:18   #7

I live in FL. & as I understand it if taxes were paid in any state then you have 90 days here before you need to get a FL registration.. that goes for the dink as well if it has an engine.no engine then no registration needed..like a kayak or row boat...if no taxes were paid like from another country then you will pay an estimated value tax & title transfer fee & reg..the biggest hit would be the estimated value tax. So you would want to be prepared to show them how little your boat is worth and usually they estimate on the low side anyway kind of like property tax. The assessed value of my property tax was like 100k it actually sold for double that and the boats are very similar I do believe. But to be sure and get it straight from the horse's mouth you could call any DMV office in Florida and they can tell you exactly the number that you will be paying. So there will be no guesswork which is what I highly recommend you do to avoid any surprises...
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 09:28   #8
cruiser

Boat: beneteau catameran blue 2

I have a gemini that sits at slip in Florida, I live in Louisiana and it is regestered in La. Guess I am wrong in what I am doing but will wait till they tell me so
doug45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 09:34   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug45 View Post
I have a gemini that sits at slip in Florida, I live in Louisiana and it is regestered in La. Guess I am wrong in what I am doing but will wait till they tell me so
Hey,I am looking to buy one of those! A 105mc, like a 2004 or later... you need to sell? They really don't mess with you very much unless you do something then they like to pile on the charges once they got you
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 09:50   #10
cruiser

no mine is a oldie goldie 1988 her name is Gemi-nice!! its a Gemini 3000 you can check out my profile pic of her. But would sell her but you looking for something newer
Old 18-09-2016, 10:06   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I don't mind paying FL the reasonable amount... just want to be sure there wouldn't be any surprises.

-Chris
I think you are covered. 11 years in MD even FL bureaucrats would have trouble arguing with.

By the way, when I researched FL taxes and registration I followed up with phone calls to the appropriate state offices in Tallahassee and spoke with the highest person up the food chain I could reach to confirm my interpretation of the published regulations so I feel pretty confident in the information.
Old 18-09-2016, 11:35   #12

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Keep in mind, that if you are in Florida for more than 90 days registration is required. A quick trip outside the 3 mile limit will reset the 90 day clock.
Mojadito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 12:51   #13

Boat: Krogen 42

According to FWC in marathon going outside for a day does not reset the clock.

You will find that every county tax agency has their own interpretation of the tax rules, even some people in the same building.

I would call and get the info and name of the person and let them know you will ask for them when you show up.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 18-09-2016, 13:03   #14

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

if you are moving around the chances of anyone saying anything are slim and none. Particularly if you are a non descript boat under 65' or so. Different story if you are a mega yacht sitting at Pier 66
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 13:24   #15
cruiser

well if that 3 mile rule is real I found my answer!!!!!!!!

Tags
registration