Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2011, 22:30   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau First 36.7
Papers, Visas and Such

I am Canadian and trucking my Beneteau First 36.7 from British Columbia to San Diego. After some rigging and upgrades, will be sailing her to Mexico where my wife and I plan to stay for an indefinite time.

What papers do I need? San Diego? Mexico?

Will I be OK with passport, registration and proof of ownership (bill of sale)?

Thanks a lot.
Pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 23:15   #2

Boat: looking
Re: Papers, Visa's and such

You'll need to get liability insurance for your boat before heading to Mexico, if I understand correctly, and if you have so much as a fishing rod on the boat you'll need a fishing license for each person on board. You'll also want to have about 10 copies of all official documents, as well, I've been told. I'm not sure if not having your VHF Rest. Op. with you is a problem or no Stn. Lic. . You can get a stn. license, if necessary, but at the rate our gov is doing things these days, it could be a long wait.
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 00:48   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Papers, Visa's and such

When you get to the border(san diego) get the service of a customs agent..look under customs agent in the yellow pages..they will take care of everything for a few ( more than two) dollars..if you know spanish try it on your own...if not get agent
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 07:12   #4

Boat: CS36 Traditional
Re: Papers, Visas and Such

As a Canadian in US waters you may need an I68 form http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/pl...boats/cbbl.xml for every member of your crew. The form basically permits you to phone in when you make land fall in the US and thus would only apply on your return.

However as you are entering the country via a border crossing that may not be required. It also may not apply for the Pacific SW.

Now I have a question for anyone who knows:

As a Canadian, does one need an I68/Passport when entering US waters if no landfall or anchoring takes place? Specifically, I was thinking of going to Sault Ste. Marie, Canada from Lake Huron but to do so I need to pass through US territorial waters (as far as I can tell from the charts). What are the requirements when entering these waters and what documentation would be required, assuming no landfall was planned?
ADMPRTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2011, 18:01   #5

Boat: CS36 Traditional
Re: Papers, Visas and Such

I found the answer to my own question about documentation requirements for Canadian boats in the Great Lakes.

I will share my findings if any are interested:

Documentation, or the need to check in, is not required until the vessel "comes to rest" (i.e. is anchored or at a dock) in US territorial waters. Also, they can't have contact with any other boats in those waters. That means they can safely traverse over the border as long as they keep moving. However, they also have to expect to be boarded by Home Land Security while in those waters (in which case proper documentation would be useful I am sure).

Now the obvious answer is that it is probably better to have the documentation than not as an emergency may require coming to rest in the US.

Source: http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/...reat_lakes.pdf
ADMPRTR is offline   Reply With Quote