Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2008, 02:28   #1
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
NZ Cat 1 Experience

Wheels asked me to post my recent experience of this so here goes. First, a bit of info. A NZ registered vessel must be inspected and comply with cat 1 before clearing out of the country (afaik the only country that requires this)
We breezed through the inspection for a number of reasons. One, because we were prepared, two, because we had spent a huge amount of money getting prepared and three (most importantly) because we had an enourmous amount of advice through this and a NZ based forum (thanks squid, knotme, timbo and a few others) The advice extended to choosing the right inspector and in this respect we were very lucky. Our guy was one of NZ's icons (in his 70s), a boat builder and bluewater racer who reads the crew and the boat more than he reads the rule book so we had the benefit of a bit of discretion from him on a few points where we didn't exactly adhere to the "text".
A couple of points about the whole process here. The rules were orientated for racers and have never really been adapted for cruisers so a lot is total BS. If you are a NZ boat and don't want to go through the cat 1 thing then register offshore in another country. If you get cat 1 and believe you are safe then you are a fool.
Lifeline height must be 600mm (24") just the perfect height to topple you over the side, better to have no lifelines and learn to hold on. The requirements for lifebuoys mean you have so much crap hanging off them that you will never get them away in a hurry. I could go on but I won't, except for the liferaft. A liferaft is a bit like a pitbull as a guard dog. Comforting to have but never trust it.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 05:37   #2

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
As someone who is considering (eventually) moving to NZ and buying a boat, I am interested in this issue. Might want to scoot up to Tonga sometime, who knows?

In Canada, there's a list of safety equipment you must have aboard (penalty is a fine) at all times. The list varies depending on the length of the boat. But there are no extra rules if you intend to go bluewater sailing.

Indeed, I don't think coast guard officials would even know.

Which raises this question: How do NZ inspectors know? I mean, suppose you set off to round Cape Reinga (as those unfortunate folks did a few weeks ago), changed your mind when you were 100 nm offshore, and headed northeast instead of southwest? (I think I have my directions roughly right, but you get the idea.)

From what I read on this forum, the NZ air force is not constantly flying spotter planes and there's not a huge navy presence out there.

So what's to stop you?

(Aside from that well-known Kiwi respect for the law of the land, I mean?)

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 13:59   #3
cruiser

Clearing into another country will be next to impossible without exit papers from NZ.
Old 07-04-2008, 15:29   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post
As someone who is considering (eventually) moving to NZ and buying a boat, I am interested in this issue. Might want to scoot up to Tonga sometime, who knows?
The CAT I requirement only affects boats on the NZ Register of Ships. If you are a Canadian citizen you should be eligible to put your boat on the Canadian Register of Ships even though you and the boat are domiciled in NZ (vessels have to be on a country's register somewhere if roaming internationally) then you will be immune. Normally, to do that you need an address in the country on whose register the boat is on but that can be an agent's address.

That being said though, any country can make a Port State Inspection of a foreign flagged vessel in its waters and detain it if believed to be unsafe, but that is rarely done for pleasure boats even in NZ.
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 18:06   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
Clearing into another country will be next to impossible without exit papers from NZ.

????

Surely that would be the same for any country? Yet I don't think I need exit papers from here. Or do other countries look specifically for a Kiwi clearance and let the rest of us heathens go?

We recently sailed from Gaudeloupe to Dominica. Didn't clear out of G, but had no trouble clearing into D (although I grant you we were meant to clear out of G and then clear back when we returned.)

Still puzzled, I fear.

Connemara
Old 07-04-2008, 19:02   #6

Boat: Lidgard 38 "now sold"
Quote:
Our guy was one of NZ's icons (in his 70s), a boat builder and bluewater racer
And the old fellas name is?
maxlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 22:48   #7

Boat: Trismus 37
Pete which NZ forum are you talking about? I havn't come accross any.
Connemarra, you are expected to clear out of any and every country when planning to leave their waters. You could sail off after rounding Cape Rienga but the only valid reason you could give to your next point of entry for not clearing would be being blown off course or major breakdown that would stop you returning to NZ, and with OZ or the islands so far away you would be hard pressed to convince the authorities that you ended up there rather than back in NZ.
That being said I once left Italy and landed in Malta without clearing out of Italy, reason being I was delivering of an Italian flagged yacht from Rimini to Tunisia, not having an Italian skippers ticket the Italian authorities said I had to coastal sail the whole of the Italian coast line, French coast line, Spanish coast line to Gibralta, cross to North Africa and continue coastal sailing to Tunisia. Would have been great for me but not the owner who was waiting at Sidi Bou Said near Tunis.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 00:31   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
You have to clear "Customs" (what ever that may be in each country) before leaving and entering any country on Earth. Not doing so for both coming and going can be rather serious in some Countries. For instance, we habve a very serious issue of Native species smuggling out of NZ. So exit matters are taken very seriously by NZ officials. Some Asian, South American and African countries, oh and I suppose some Arab Nations may go to the extent of Prison or huge fines for breaking the laws.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 00:44   #9

Boat: Lotus 10.6
I am sure if you were careful you could sail from NZ without clearing and visit a few quiet pacific spots but it would not be worth the risk.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:58   #10
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
.....Lifeline height must be 600mm (24") just the perfect height to topple you over the side, ......
I am curious, is that a minimumof 600mm or must be 600mm, i.e not higher or lower?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:43   #11
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
You have to clear "Customs" (what ever that may be in each country) before leaving and entering any country on Earth. ...
I suppose we just like to be different, Wheels. The U.S. does not require it's citizens to clear out. I've never been challenged when clearing into another country after departing from the continental U.S. or the U.S.V.I with no outbound clearance.

It's an admittedly short list, however--Bermuda, BVI, Bahamas, and St Kitts & Nevis.
Old 08-04-2008, 17:54   #12
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxlev View Post
And the old fellas name is?
Possibly the man who built your boat. First name John
Old 08-04-2008, 17:56   #13
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I am curious, is that a minimumof 600mm or must be 600mm, i.e not higher or lower?
It is a minimum of 600mm. Rules for commercial vessels here changed from 900 to 1000mm a few years back. A much safer height.
Old 08-04-2008, 18:43   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
I suppose we just like to be different, Wheels. The U.S. does not require it's citizens to clear out. I've never been challenged when clearing into another country after departing from the continental U.S. or the U.S.V.I with no outbound clearance.

It's an admittedly short list, however--Bermuda, BVI, Bahamas, and St Kitts & Nevis.

OTOH, the US is very serious about people clearing in. If I go across lake Ontario, I'd better be at the video terminal with my passport pronto.

On yet another hand, I don't have to -- to my knowledge -- tell Canada I'm leaving.

In principle, I guess I'm supposed to tell Canada Customs (and declare all that wonderful cheap US booze) when I come back.

Connemara
Old 08-04-2008, 20:48   #15

Boat: Trismus 37
The 6oomm would be minimum, there is no maximum. I agree though, it is just at the right height to tip you over the side. The height for survey is/was 3 feet probably 1 metre now.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote