Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2019, 08:33   #1

Boat: Bounty 257 Offshore Pilot
NVDC Exchange of COD - 3 Months Out - Not in time for trip!

Hey all,

I am heading out of Colorado at the end of May for a few weeks cruising in SE AK. We will be dragging New Moon up to Prince Rupert, BC for launch and crossing back into US Waters directly.

According to the NVDC website, they received my Exchange of COD Application on March 29th, 2019. Also according to their website they are sitting at about a 3-month-wait for COD Exchanges.
So it looks like we will not actually have a valid COD until the trip is almost over.
It seems that the only "practical" way to handle this is to register the boat here in CO before the trip.
In CO I am covered by the COD and don't need the additional CO Registration as long as I ACTUALLY HAVE a COD.

Since the COD Application will still be in the works, I don't see a way around spending the extra $ on the CO registration as a Stop-Gap until my COD is actually delivered.
There seems to be an allowance for a Renewal of COD Application due to the long processing times here: https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/D...SIB_003_19.pdf
but since I am doing an Exchange rather than a Renewal I don't think this would apply to me.
Any thoughts or direction that could keep me legal while saving me the additional CO registration fees?
Thanx,
Mark-
MRArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2019, 17:24   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: NVDC Exchange of COD - 3 Months Out - Not in time for trip!

Sorry to hear that the government shutdown is impacting you. Colorado law calls for boats that are there for more than 60 days to be registered, even if they are registered in a different state. It looks like Documented vessels would also need to be registered after 60 days too. The fee is not huge ($45.25 for under 30') It would probably be better to get the CO registration and not have to worry about it. There's also a new thing about aquatic nuisance species for boats launching in CO. It went into effect in January and costs $25 for CO boats and $50 for out-of-staters.
https://cpw.state.co.us/buyapply/Pag...strations.aspx
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2019, 20:15   #3

Boat: Bounty 257 Offshore Pilot
Re: NVDC Exchange of COD - 3 Months Out - Not in time for trip!

psk,
Yes I am VERY familiar with the regs in Colorado as I have had multiple boats at a time registered here for the past 20 years.
I have it in writing from the Director of the Boat Registration Division of the CO Parks & Wildlife that a boat that is Federally Registered does NOT need a CO Registration to launch in CO. It does however need the new ANS $25 sticker. (just a receipt actually, for a Fed. Reg. Boat, cuz the sticker is part of the regular registration sticker)

As I will not be putting the boat in the water before the AK trip, I wouldn't need anything for Colorado, till I get back, then the Fed Reg will be here.

But.....to be "legal" launching in Canadian Waters and boating in Alaska Waters, I will need SOMETHING, right? The Fed Registration will not be in my possession yet, so I'm trying to determine if the CO Reg. is necessary and/or adequate for the Canada & Alaska folks.

Mark-
MRArnold is offline   Reply With Quote