Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2007, 12:43   #31
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"This entire forum is considered a no wake zone!"
No doubt that's a fine business decision, as my local pub would prefer any waking to be done on THEIR premises, not yours.

Oh, and the publican suggest sending the wee people out to dress the offending boat's deck with fresh bait while it is not being used, leaving the many blessings of the local seabirds upon it to greet the owers on their return. They'll soon take their wake elsewhere.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 19:29   #32

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
I think that this thread is going to be locked, To bad without a good solution.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 19:38   #33
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
The solution is easy, it starts with individual responsibility. All users of this forum should consider their actions and how they'll affect other people on the water, show consideration instead of blindly adhering to the rules as their guide of conduct, and when they observe people being inconsiderate or dangerous, take the action that they deem appropriate. I believe a quiet word without other people round to the offender can go a long way but for ignorant jerks then stronger measures may be needed. Change needs to start somewhere before it can grow.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 22:40   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

It's certainly putting me to sleep - LOL

I guess I am not sure of the outcome on the wake restriction. Is the "no wake" within 500' a tighter restriction than now or looser?
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 06:02   #35

Boat: 1976 Oday 27' Booty Call
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif

It's certainly putting me to sleep - LOL

I guess I am not sure of the outcome on the wake restriction. Is the "no wake" within 500' a tighter restriction than now or looser?
The ordinance was a "no wake" through the entire river access from the Bay of Green Bay through the downtown area. The 500' no wake area, is a looser restriction. Main concern is that the inexperienced boater or those who don't share the same respect as most cruisers show each other, will not know where the 500' starts and ends.
shellback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008, 18:46   #36

I am searching for at least one other "victim" of faded signs and unusual IDLE SPEED enforcement methods by the FL, Boynton Beach P. D. Marine Division. Someone who is also bothering to FIGHT their citation. I think most people will not bother to defend their honor because the fine is low and personal time is precious. The ICW signs through Florida are hard to read and not consistent. I am fighting the citation because I had my boat in full compliance of both IDLE SPEED and NO WAKE. I have five witnesses. Regardless of the pitiful condition of the signs I was in compliance well before reaching the enforced area. There are also the factors of currents, wind, and wake from other boats. The BBPD Marine Officers were pulling everyone they saw over. The boats were made to raft up to a FUEL ONLY dock to get their Citations. I felt the whole situatuin was an unnecessary mess and caused a lot of traffic hazard in the otherwise peaceful area. Is any one else out there who is an innocent victim of
this clever P.D. scam to toss extra money in the town coffers? If I were guilty of the violation I would just pay the ticket. Florida has a new way of harassing innocent boaters. It was also interesting that many boats that were in huge violation of the No Wake and Idle speed posted signs ignored the Officers directions and continued on their way. Any thoughts? I have always been a very safe boater and also conservative of fuel. Florida is wasting my tax dollar on trumped up charges. Both parts of that bothers me.
waterworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008, 18:54   #37

Florida ILDE SPEED NO WAKE

Idle Speed laws have good reasons. They should not be abused by we boaters or by enforcement agencies.

Every boat has its own wake footprint. Small boats can cause more wake than some larger boats. All Captains of their vessels should obey the laws.

Property owners should also know that sometimes oncoming foul weather
or a health emergency may cause the need to push up the speed a bit. We are not the enforcement agencies in charge. Try to give the benefit of the doubt to most. Report true reckless and dangerous activity to the proper authorities
waterworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2008, 21:44   #38
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
In Baltimore Harbo every weekend...you hear the MORONS on 16 yelling about slowing down......HELLO? What makes you even begin tot hink they are going to hear you?

I did see a boat get stopped by a Baltimore City Police Chopper (Foxtrot) once.

That was pretty cool.

BTW Baltimore is the only city that the Police Department has sole jurisdiction...I beLIEve
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 08:58   #39
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Chief-
"Coast Guard, Group Baltimore, Curtis Bay Station-Search and Rescue 2401 Hawkins Point Road Baltimore, MD 21226-1797 Phone: (410) 789-8050"
The USCG seems to think they share jurisdiction on all navigable waterways in the US. Maybe the city PD presence is simply large enough that they "live and let live" and don't sweat the small stuff?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 16:20   #40
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
As you stated....they are Search and Rescue.....they don't do much, if any enforcement in the Harbor.

That is left to the City and The Maryland Transportation Authority Police.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote