Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 09:39   #1

Boat: Wharram Pahi 63 Catamaran, Sailwind 27 Mono, Ring 20, Lee Fisher 16, Banks Dory, Dunlop Dive RIB
No Criminal Record ?

I know Palmyra is on the extreme end of this but it did happen and could happen again. On the lesser side of things I heard of a guy like me who was building the same boat as I in Thailand. Once it was finished he grabbed a bunch of back packers to help him sail it back to the UK. Unfortunately one of those backpackers was carrying something he shouldn't and as a result the owner lost his boat to customs in the Red Sea.
To all big boat and charter boat owners out there how do you protect yourself from the harm others may bring on to your boat?
Would interpol tell you if some one who was to board your vessel had a criminal record and for what?
Geminidawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:28   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I don't know if you could ask someone if you could personally search all of their belongings. If they adamantly refuse then you always have the option of not taking them onboard.

I think you just have to size up the person and make an educated guess as to whether or not they may be a doper. I don't think there is a definitive answer to the question.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 14:18   #3

id search all his belongings like it or not, period!!

once I took a hitchiker that left a bag full of his sh.. in my car, now because of this I never take anyone I dont know, especialy not if my boat is my home. knowing whats abord and making sure peapoles understand the security rules should be mandatory for all.
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 16:08   #4

Boat: just my arms and legs
Send a message via ICQ to AtomicPhil Send a message via AIM to AtomicPhil Send a message via MSN to AtomicPhil Send a message via Yahoo to AtomicPhil Send a message via Skype™ to AtomicPhil
Must of been a serious crime for them to seize a boat like that. i doubt a misdemeanor well do anything.
AtomicPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 16:23   #5

Boat: a sailing boat
I think it is OK for the captain / owner to search the belongings or quarters of the crew. Off course, a valid reason must be presented (e.g. going to or thru a zero-drug zone, etc.).

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 17:01   #6

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Wikipedia is not always correct but from my 100 ton training this seems to be up to par.

The captain is responsible for its safe and efficient operation, including cargo operations, navigation, crew management and ensuring that the vessel complies with local and international laws, as well as company and flag state policies.

The captain ensures that the ship complies with local and international laws as well as company policies.[1] The captain is ultimately responsible for aspects of operation such as the safe navigation of the ship,[2] its cleanliness and seaworthiness,[3] safe handling of all cargo,[4] management of all personnel,[5] inventory of ship's cash and stores,[6] and maintaining the ship's certificates and documentation.[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_(nautical)
Old 01-11-2010, 17:20   #7
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
All drug users are criminals so they all lie. you must search completely and utterley all their posessions and clothers when they dont expect it. Any refusal and dont let them near your boat

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 17:42   #8

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
All drug users are criminals so they all lie. you must search completely and utterley all their posessions and clothers when they dont expect it. Any refusal and dont let them near your boat
Sometimes not quite easy to tell a user from a priest.

Probably not worth risking taking aboard anybody who looks like they could be one anyway.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 17:55   #9
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
umm...problem is you cannot tell by how they look. and i don't think searching is gonna help as they can get around that in so many ways.

ONe reason to sail alone
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 18:39   #10
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Canadian Customs told me when one of my crew members had a criminal record (30 years old and not even on his US record any more) before they politely offered to give him a ride to the Vancouver bus station so he could catch a Seattle bound bus. Since then I contact CA customs before I even start out from my US home port, they are always polite and helpful.

And yes the captain of the vessel is responsible for everyone on board and the laws of the country for which they are flagged, I wouldn't start about how some authorities over step their bounds, better to just make sure everything one is clean....it is MY boat and my HOME..no reason to endanger it unnecessarily
Old 01-11-2010, 18:49   #11
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
Bringing aboard contraband is always a big concern when dealing with guests (charter, business associates, or friends). Obviously I can't do the DHS frisk so my options are somewhat limited.

In all my correspondence with the guests I make it clear the items that are not allowed and if my crew of other guests tell me about them they (the offenders) will be put off the boat in the next port, their entire charter fee will be forfeit, details will be sent to the charter agency, and as a precaution for my license, the owners boat, and the crew I will inform Customs and Immigration as to the reason they're being put off the boat.

Guests are required to sign a statement that has few words, big letters, and lists the things that may get them into a third world jail.

When guest come aboard, I hold a safety meeting prior to leaving the dock. Again I tell them in plain language the items that are not allowed, and the repercussions if I find out they were being less than forthright and honest with me. I give them a few minutes before we leave the dock to chat with the captain or present the contraband to a crew member. If they do that, I say nothing. That is their last chance to indicate their transgression and lack of reading comprehension.

Every cabin has an identical zero tolerance sheet affixed to the inside of the hanging lockers and inside their guest/vessel guidebook.

The last thing I need is to spend time in a jail, or worse, have my crew spend time in jail, while I fight to prevent the confiscation of the vessel, answer comments generated by the less than honest guests, and an outraged owner.

The latest, at least here in the US, is a Captain being arrested after a gun was indicated to be aboard.

http://thetriton.com/article/2010/10...ession-firearm
Old 01-11-2010, 18:56   #12

Boat: Wharram Pahi 63 Catamaran, Sailwind 27 Mono, Ring 20, Lee Fisher 16, Banks Dory, Dunlop Dive RIB
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicPhil View Post
Must of been a serious crime for them to seize a boat like that. i doubt a misdemeanor well do anything.
It wouldn't take a lot for a customs officer to seize your boat and the fact they found something justifies their actions.
It's not just drugs or those that partake in drug use it's people in general. Some of those in the criminal fraternity may see your boat as an opportuinity and may portray themselves as innocent and interested in charter.
One sailing instructor that I know of was leaving Spain en-route back to the UK. In Spain they were befriended by another UK couple wanting to get into sailing, before they disembarked they met up with the couple on the boat and agreed to meet up again once home. Half way accross the Bay of Biscay they found an aluminium wrapped package stashed in the heads and realized they were being used as involuntary mules.
Geminidawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 19:03   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

The same applies to doing a delivery... as a skipper arriving in a foreign port to collect a vessel... say the Carib or Turkey/Greece... you have no knowledge of the boats recent history above and beyond what the owner chooses to tell you.
You can do a limited search yourself, but its unlikely you'll find anything short of ripping it apart... so what can you do to cover your ass.
Notify the authorities of the contract and your suspicions, ask if the boats flagged (would they tell you), invite the local Customs on board with dogs for a search...?
Like crew/guests... its tricky...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 20:24   #14

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Sometimes not quite easy to tell a user from a priest.

Probably not worth risking taking aboard anybody who looks like they could be one anyway.

b.
One what? User or Priest?
Old 01-11-2010, 22:23   #15

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
If something is found what a Captain can do is put the individual under house arrest and report them to the authorities as soon as they enter port. That should, at least, help save the boat and license.