Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2007, 03:11   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Does anyone remember:

1066 And All That
A Memorable History of England, comprising all the parts you can remember, including 103 Good Things, 5 Bad Kings and 2 Genuine Dates

by W.C. Sellar and R.J. Yeatman (illustrated by John Reynolds)

Excerpted from the “COMPULSORY PREFACE” (THIS MEANS YOU)

HISTORIES have previously been written with the object of exalting their authors. The object of this History is to console the reader. No other history does this.
History is not what you thought. It is what you can remember. All other history defeats itself.
This is the only Memorable History of England, because all the History that you can remember is in this book, which is the result of years of research in golf-clubs, gun-rooms, green-rooms, etc.
For instance, 2 out of the 4 Dates originally included were eliminated at the last moment, a research done at the Eton and Harrow match having revealed that they are not memorable.
The Editors will be glad of further assistance towards the elimination, in future editions, of any similarly unhistorical matter which, despite their vigilance, may have crept into the text.
They take this opportunity of acknowledging their inestimable debt to the mass of educated men and women of their race whose historical intuitions and opinions this work enshrines ...”

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 03:24   #17
Armchair Bucketeer

Extract from Wikipedia.............last sentence is not entirely correct.

"The island was eventually annexed to the Duchy of Normandy by William Longsword, Duke of Normandy in 933; his descendant, William the Conqueror, conquered England in 1066, which led to the Duchy of Normandy and the kingdom of England being governed under one monarch.[9] The Dukes of Normandy owned considerable estates on the island, and Norman families living on their estates founded many of the historical Norman-French Jersey family names. King John lost all his territories in mainland Normandy in 1204 to King Philip II Augustus, but retained possession of Jersey, along with Guernsey and the other Channel Islands; the islands have been internally self-governing since.[10]
Islanders became involved with the Newfoundland fisheries in the late 16th century.[11] In recognition for all the help given to him during his exile in Jersey in the 1640s, Charles II gave George Carteret, Bailiff and governor, a large grant of land in the American colonies, which he promptly named New Jersey, now part of the United States of America.[12][13]
Trade laid the foundations of prosperity, aided by neutrality between England and France.[14] The Jersey way of life involved agriculture, fishing, shipbuilding, and production of woollen goods until 19th century improvements in transport links brought tourism to the Island.
Jersey was occupied by Nazi Germany from 1 July 1940, and was held until 9 May 1945, showing they are still loyal to their French roots and surrender faster than you can say merci.[15]"

NB: Last sentence should read "Jersey was occupied by Germany from 1 July 1940 until 9 May 1945, because the English Army ran away. Again.

The occupation was not a complete disaster as the Germans built plenty of very large concrete seadefences (pah! to Global Warming), and deported all the English (Jersey had, so very typically and opportunistically!, marketed itself to the English as a nice place to sit out the war!........they will generaly believe anything )."
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 03:38   #18
bru

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman
Woaaaah Bru,

Did not mean to enter into a debate so lets agree to keep the board to sailing issues - if that OK with you.
Absolutely! Politics is too damn dangerous a topic (costs a round down my local if you make the mistake of talking politics!!!)

Quote:
Happy for a moderator to knock of my response to your views....I can't edit them off myself..
Me too. Deleting my off-topic posts I mean

Quote:
Peace
and harmony
Old 12-01-2007, 05:06   #19
cruiser

Sorry guys. I may have provoked the thread drift and I'm a mod on here. The topics are of great interest to my wife and I since we find what Bru describes as happening in the UK has happened in the States as well. What is most interesting is that each and every bit he mentions is the same way here. I think it applies to all of Western Civilization. Anyway, sorry for the thread hijack. It was worth it though. I learned a lot.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:52   #20

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
Me too - I'm glad this amusing little thread wasn't knocked on the head. I'm an ex-pat Brit living in the Caribbean for the last 15 years (my, how times fly). Forced out of UK by 15% (I seem to recall) interest rates, greedy banks and general lack of money to spend on holidays, hence very little commissions coming in to me for arranging said holidays....This is most certainly not to say that its all "beer and skittles" over here. And yet, its funny, I still miss the seasonal changes (do they still make snow in White, or are there colour options nowadays?), decent beer, fish & chips, though they arent the same since you arent allowed to eat them out of newspaper, I believe......

Hey ho - I'm delivering a boat to Australia next week, so what the hell (had to bring the topic back to sailing). Tony
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 12:15   #21
bru

[quote=bvimatelot](do they still make snow in White, or are there colour options nowadays?), decent beer, fish & chips, though they arent the same since you arent allowed to eat them out of newspaper, I believe/quote]

Snow? It really is a long time since you left the UK! If we're really really lucky we might get a bit of slush in mid-Feb! (Gloobal warming and all that).

And it's true that Chish and Fips just ain't the same now they're not wrapped up in the Daily Mail.

The beer is still good though and in about half an hour I'll be down the public sampling some fine local beers from micro-breweries (one of the best things to have come about in recent years!)
Old 12-01-2007, 12:31   #22

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
I was also enjoying hearing the responses to Uk in the EU. Did the discussion go elsewhere?
dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 13:13   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Till we ate the dogs, our local (Thunder Bay, Ontario) snow was yellow.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2007, 09:29   #24

Boat: Lagoon 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay
Till we ate the dogs, our local (Thunder Bay, Ontario) snow was yellow.
And no doubt the snow tastes much better now.
Old 13-02-2007, 17:35   #25

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Personally, I cannot see enything wrong with the above posts... well written and thoughtful, with no acrimony or name-calling. There is nothing wrong with intelligent debabate between individuals with differing views. As a British citizen who has not lived there for about 13 years, the above posts have been extremely interesting for me
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license