Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2005, 17:03   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
New U.S. Entry & Return Requirements

New U.S. Entry Requirements:

New Requirements for Travelers Between the United States and the Western Hemisphere (American & Foreign).

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

Travelers to and from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Panama, Mexico and Canada will be required to have a passport or other secure, accepted document to enter or re-enter the United States. This is a change from prior travel requirements and will affect all United States citizens entering the United States from countries within the Western Hemisphere who do not currently possess valid passports. This new requirement will also affect certain foreign nationals who currently are not required to present a passport to travel to the United States. Most Canadian citizens, citizens of the British Overseas Territory of Bermuda, and to a lesser degree, Mexican citizens will be affected by the implementation of this requirement

The travel initiative requirements will be rolled out in phases, providing as much advance notice as possible to the affected public to enable them to meet the terms of the new guidelines. The proposed implementation timeline is as follows:

* December 31, 2005 – Passport or other accepted document required for all travel (air/sea) to or from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Central and South America.
* December 31, 2006 – Passport or other accepted document required for all air and sea travel to or from Mexico and Canada.
* December 31, 2007 – Passport or other accepted document required for all air, sea and land border crossings.

Frequently Asked Questions about the New Travel Initiative Requirements (FAQs)
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2225.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 17:58   #2

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Passport

Since 9 11 there has been a sign at the border that says " have your passport ready " I can understand the need for security but I think both countires have gone a bit silly in some areas. The regulations that we now have in Canada for financial investments is beyond silly. We are now part time agents for the F** and the R*** and must treat everyone as suspect and that could include your mother. Meanwhile the usual stuff happens on a grand scale.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 17:16   #3

What part of a "bit silly" is the US Border Patrol catching a guy crossing into the US (Styate of Washington) from Canada with a trunk load of explosives and plans o blow up the Los Angeles airport.

Welcome to the new reality.
Floridaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 23:46   #4

Not sure how not having a passport

would have changed that situation.

If he had a trunk full of explosives, merely having a valid passport would likely not have helped him get thru the border.
Victoria BC
David W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 00:15   #5

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Silly

There was nothing silly about that and it was a very alert agent on the US side that caught the guy.
Another fellow of Lebanese extract purchased a used vehicle from a Government Agricultural agency that had been carrying fertiliser in the trunk.
What they did with him could be described as silly. I stand by my statement that some of the things being required by honest citizen types border on being silly, while I agree that there is a need to catch the baddies. There are no simple answers.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2005, 13:35   #6

Last week, upon my return from Mexico, I called Customs to check in. I had made an intermediate stop for fuel/water/ice/hot showers down in Venice, FL. The Customs officer informed me that the skipper and all crew are now required to report, together, in person, to check in. He was even insisting that I get in either a taxi or a rental car and drive to the nearest office, rather than waiting a day until I reached my homeport. I managed to talk him into allowing us to wait until we reached our homeport where we had ground transport, but the checkin requirement was a surprise....
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote