Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2020, 00:51   #31

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
Re: New to offshore sailing & have questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo_Kai View Post
Look here CaptainBlack. THIS is how you get people to watch your videos. Instead of doling out dubious "wisdom", ask a boatload of questions. People (like you) love doling out advice. You are much more likely to be interested in someone whom you have taken under your wing. I like the one episode tease too. They will be begging for the other 5! Also has the patreon thing figured out. Well done James! There is a whole other forum where you also belong here https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...rs-183130.html

Kimo
Marooned on Maui
Hey, if people would rather spend $100 on a solution rather than even attempt to make something themselves that is really not my problem. I'm not surprised many are disparaging towards me at having their ineptitude put on display. We're $1000 poorer a month due to the virus, but that just slows down my progress, if I was $2000 a month richer a would do the same because I enjoy making stuff. Perhaps my "wisdom" will be useful to someone. Half the people a here are probably vendors anyway. I'm not changing for anyone. Like I said, I would like to make videos, but I do not have the time or the energy to put effort into that everyday. It's a matter of whether I can manage an hour or two towards that goal after a 10+ hour working day aboard.
Instead of worrying how the $500,000 they saved up over their lives can pay for their retirement cruising, I am out here making it work, despite teh world economy collapsing, which is not my fault.
I like to pop in here and try to help people when I am on a break from working as I have experienve on many of these issues, and the data is cheaper than watching YT videos.
Old 27-05-2020, 01:19   #32

I'm not taking anything away from people that want to spend their retirement sailing, they earned it. It was our decision to move our businesses online and do it in our 30's, although we were unfortunate that this crisis came at this time.
In hindsight it was a mistake for me to give up my writing business in favour of chartering, but there was no way I could have known that.
Old 27-05-2020, 03:52   #33

I read the original post. OP plans to gunkhole from Texas to Florida, then over to Bahamas perhaps down to Caribbean.

A few observations.

First, you need no licenses for you or your crew except fishing licenses. If you fish, everyone onboard will need a license. At least in Florida and I suspect all states work like that.

Second, insurance. If you want to stay in a marina, you will need insurance.

Third, radar and electronics. I'm a big proponent of radar and such, but for your application (gunk holing for first several months) , experience, and budget, not a good use of time and money. Someone mentioned SV Zingaro - they had no radar. YouTubers Project Atticus have also been at it for 4-5 years on a tight budget with no radar. A good depth sounder and navionics on your tablet or handheld will get you a very long way. You can make upgrade decisions later if/when needed

Fourth, head. I'll echo a previous post - Compost Heads have their place, but you have too many people aboard for your application (BTW - statements about their widely banned are nonsense). But a head and waste treatment is a big challenge you need to figure out. It might be your single biggest challenge. You will be generating a lot of effluent - there is no easy and inexpensive option except being illegal which opens you up for fines, perhaps severe fines as places like the Keys are no discharge zones. An ElectraScan treatment center might work but is still not legal in NDZs. But its expensive and can be a maintenance issue. It is relatively lightweight, but does require a fair amount of electricity. As I say, this might be your biggest single challenge.

Given your modest itinerary of gunk holing for several months, I'd set aside learning celestial navigation and globe girdling cruiser questions and focus on the basics. By the time you get to the Keys, you will be able to prioritize your wish list and expenses balanced with your budget and cruising dreams. The mundane and basic logistics will be challenging with up to six aboard long term - stores/provisions , water toys for kids, cooking, dinghy, anchor-out vs marina, head/holding tank, etc.

Tip of my hat to you and your wife for seeking out an interesting life for your family. If you pull this off, you will have influenced 30-40 years of your future family.

Good luck

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 09:19   #34

Radio= no FCC license needed for VHF or AIS, only for VHF international or SSB. SSB Nets are helpful in the Bahamas, but you only really need VHF around the Gulf of Mexico. Your choice to go DSC and AIS unit is correct. You get an MMSI number from Boat US or radio manufacturer and program it easily into the DSC radio and EPIRB. There are registration forms for the EPIRB, including your cell phone number and shore contacts. We find an AIS TRANSCEIVER more helpful than radar in dealing with big traffic offshore. They can call you by name and request your take a certain course. A handheld sat phone is more useful for emergency contact and weather than SSB (and I’m an Extra class Ham). Many great cruising opportunities to Yucatan, Keys, SW Florida. Fair Winds.
Terry and Melissa, sv Privateer III
TNRivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 09:54   #35

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRivers View Post
You get an MMSI number from Boat US or radio manufacturer and program it easily into the DSC radio and EPIRB.
Since non-US countries are on the list, he should do it properly and get one from the FCC.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 14:40   #36

Boat: CLC Skerry

I would recommend The American Practical Navigator (Bowditch) only if you are serious about the science of navigation. (I was the editor of the 1995 and 2002 editions.) You might try to find a copy of "Boater's Bowditch," a much simplified version of the APN. It is out of print and some of the information is dated (e.g. Loran, etc), but like APN it has lots of useful background information and will help you understand why things are done the way they are.
rhubstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 14:44   #37

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

@DreamBig:

You asked how to post pictures on this forum. Here is a link to a thread about that:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...st-133457.html

Something else to be aware of it that if you're using pictures from your phone, and it wasn't straight up and down, the pics you post will be sideways, and there is no fix for that.

Ann
Old 27-05-2020, 14:52   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
@DreamBig:

You asked how to post pictures on this forum. Here is a link to a thread about that:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...st-133457.html

Something else to be aware of it that if you're using pictures from your phone, and it wasn't straight up and down, the pics you post will be sideways, and there is no fix for that.

Ann
Ahh.. I noticed that. There are picture apps for the phone that let you rotate pictures though, would that work?
Old 27-05-2020, 15:46   #39

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn_Black View Post
Ahh.. I noticed that. There are picture apps for the phone that let you rotate pictures though, would that work?
Sorry, I don't know. My guess is, *probably*.
Old 27-05-2020, 15:58   #40

Boat: Norman Cross 38' Ketch, Vancouver 25, Temptist International, Hobie 16

**** a little soap box here,, I just don't want people to get the wrong impression. We are working on a boat to tryout cruising, and have many questions, that so far have been answered beautifully by members of this forum. Thank you for that ****

Firstly, I had no idea it was going to post the video thumbnail like that, I thought it would just be a little hyperlink, and I thought maybe someone would like to get an idea of who they were helping.. I honestly don't see us producing any videos for some time, but who knows. Capt Black is correct,,, it takes a tremendous amount of time. Like crazy amounts.

Second- We would love to make videos of our family adventures, my brother is a professional cameraman/producer for blockbuster movies,(most recently Ghost-busters) It would be epic!!! Yet, my wife is/was/ maybe isn't on board with all the sharp tongued audience that is out there. I believe if she Love's the cruising life, there, is a glimpse of hope that we might be able to produce some valuable content.

Although, I myself, don't like the feeling of being a Pan handler asking for donations. Bowing down to corporate businesses to cram advertising down people's throats doesn't appeal to me either. Those videos were 3 years ago, we shot enough footage for at least 10 episodes, camping and traveling National parks up the PCT to Canada and back through Yellowstone on the way back to Texas. It was an EPIC Trip, for a family of 6, 38 days, and a total cost outlay of $3,400.00. Which was incredible all in itself. I have zero desire to be famous... like zero.. but I was looking to find a way to support a life style of cruising,, in fact Like "Drenched" I wanted to make it a non profit, and do something never been done before in the cruising community. It has been put on hold mainly for the two reasons above.

It was a fun home-school project, the kids (we) learned how to film, how to write scripts, do voice overs, mess with different lighting effects, some special effects, animation, social media, network earn through affiliates, design web pages, and learned to edit with premiere pro and blender. All while just enjoying life.

Pirates helped steer us away from that path. You know the people that lob cannon balls at "you" with desires to sink hopes, or aspirations, bring you back to their reality, flood you with insecure thoughts, or just act plain lewd and crude in general. Some people call them trolls. I don't know, but no amount of money was/ is worth subjecting our family to those types of pressures.

Thus, I spent the last three years looking for the right boat in the right place for the right amount of money...Also, adjusting our lifestyle, finding our limits, our must haves, would be nice's, and don't really needs. We traveled to 35 national parks, learning how to keep watches, design meal plans, live light and nimble, and enjoy gods country.

We almost, like, was heading to Virginia to hand over cash on a Sea Runner 37 moored in the Bahama's 2 years ago. Someone else wired the money before we got there. So we just hung out in the Smokies for a week or two. =-) We really liked the Moragan OutIsland 52, and had a couple of opportunities with them, but it was a little big for a first boat. Didn't Sail very well. Larger cash outlay meant less refitting or longer delays on adventure.

There were countless other boats along the way, and we had actually seen (*Ameris--- we just named her today. yay!!!!!!) 3 years ago, then again 2 years ago, then again last year. This year, I finally made an offer, and the deal was made. See, she is much like a blank canvas no electronics, a little problems here and there, but over all a strong backbone, and a good fundamentals. Most other yachts were not a blank canvas, but needed complete refit anyway, as electronics were outdated, or didn't work, wiring was shoty, systems were rigged, and so on. Ameris is simple, easy, and (just) big enough. :-) and best of all moored only 2hrs from out home.

Everything has started very well with this thread, and yes everything has been based on our current situation, and questions. My hope is that it develops into bigger than that. That is becomes a safe haven for "us" Newbie's that just want information, for the chance/ the opportunity to soar up in the clouds, or more likely, on the water chasing their dream. Yes, it maybe absurd, uncomfortable, and things may go horribly wrong. It may fail today, or 10 years from now. Then again if may not. God only knows.

At any-rate, I am not afraid to fail, but I am afraid to not try at all. I will do my best to litigate as much risk as possible for my family. Thus, why we have this thread in the first place. The information, I have learned in one week has saved me 2 months of digging and researching. Not to mention in another thread a member actually sent me a set of 50 yr old plans for my boat. (which I actually didn't think existed anywhere, anymore) He didn't ask for anything, or really question anything, just popped them in the mail. Unbelievable for this day and age. This forum is a blessing, and I feel truly blessed to hear from each everyone's constructive feedback. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts. Hopefully, see ya'll on the water soon.

Cheers James
DreamBig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 18:45   #41

A Pictures of the boat, some are from Aug 2018, but she is in much the same condition. The 4 picture mosaic, is the day we bought her before and after cleaning. :-) Last one is how I drink my whiskey since purchase.. lol ....JK...

Cheers,

James
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200523_141100_01.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	215934   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180917_031902.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	409.9 KB
ID:	215935  

Name:	20180917_032003.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	422.1 KB
ID:	215936   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180917_032137.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	385.1 KB
ID:	215937  

Name:	IMG_20200527_195736_01.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	215938   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180917_032154.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	405.1 KB
ID:	215939  

Name:	Screenshot_20200514-170911.png
Views:	78
Size:	286.0 KB
ID:	215940   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190507_205052_01.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	428.4 KB
ID:	215941  

Old 27-05-2020, 18:59   #42

Ok,this is what I have found on vhf/ssb..I will not be going the Ham route...yet

Vhf in states, you need ships station license which is managed by boat us, towboat us and maybe a few others. I don't know if you need a restricted radio operators license, I don't know the fees, but is only good for USA waters.

Vhf and SSB- I was lead to believe that is you have ssb, then you need ships station license from fcc. SSL- allows VHf inside and outside USA. Should check box for ssb even if you don't have one, as you might have to repay to alter later.

Apply with fcc for frn# registration= free (setup account)

Apply for ships station license $170- re-news every 10 years. (right to have radio on boat)

Apply for Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit- $70 - never needs renew, one person on board needs this. (right to use radio that is allowed on boat) :-)

I got through to real live fcc person in less than 3 minutes hold, he sent instructions to email. Was shocked for such good customer service. Kudos FCC.

Here are the instructions;

NOTE: At least one person on each vessel sailing or communicating internationally must have a Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit (instructions below). This requirement is in addition to the requirement to have a ship radio station license for the vessel. No Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit is required to operate VHF radio equipment on board a vessel when that vessel is sailing domestically. You may obtain a Restricted Permit using FCC Form 605. No test is required to obtain this permit. The permit when issued will be valid for your lifetime. The fee for a Restricted Permit is in addition to any fee paid for a ship license.

New Ship Station License Filing Instructions

APPLICATIONS FOR FLEET LICENSES:

A certification must be attached stating that none of the vessels in the fleet use DSC (Digital Selective Calling) or AIS (Automatic Identification System) equipment.
If any of the vessels are using DCS or AIS equipment, you will need to apply for a single license for that vessel to obtain an MMSI, or contact a private registration agent to obtain an MMSI if the vessel is licensed by rule. NOTE: domestic MMSI numbers cannot be issued to a fleet; they can only be issued to individual vessels.

Please Note: Per Public Notice DA 15-72, the FCC no longer mails license authorizations. If you provide an email address on your application, a link to print your official copy of your license will be automatically emailed to you when the application is granted.

Steps to Filing an Application for a New Ship Station license in the Universal Licensing System (ULS):

Go to https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsEntry/licManager/login.jsp and log in with your FCC Registration Number (FRN) and password. After entering your password, proceed to Step 2 below to begin filing the application.

If you do not have an FRN, you can register for one here: https://apps.fcc.gov/coresWeb/publicHome.do or by clicking the "Register with the FCC" link under the Submit button on the Log In page.

If you do not know your FRN, you can search for it by entering your call sign here: http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsS...rchLicense.jsp or by clicking the "Check your licenses" link under the submit button on the Log In page.

If you do not know the password:

Click on the Contact Tech Support link under the Submit button on the Log In page.
On the next page, click the Forgot Your Password link and follow the prompts for resetting the password.
After receiving confirmation of a successful password reset, click the link for Universal Licensing System (DO NOT click the CORES Public Interface link.)
Click the yellow ULS License Manager button to return to the Log In page.
Enter the FRN and password and click the Submit button.

On the left side of the page, click the Apply for a New License link.

Choose "SA or SB - Ship" from the radio service drop down list. Based upon your answers to questions during the application, ULS will automatically determine the correct radio service code (SA/SB). Click Continue to navigate through the application.

On the Assigned Call Sign page, only answer Yes if the vessel has already been issued a four-letter call sign. If the call sign contains more than 4 characters or contains any numbers, then you should answer this question as No.

On the Compulsory Questions page, you must answer the "Are you required by law or treaty to carry a radio on your vessel?" question with Yes to obtain a "Ship Compulsory Equipped (SB)" license. If you answer this question as No, you will receive a "Ship Recreational or Voluntarily Equipped (SA)" license.

On the Ship License Type page, only select "Portable" if you can provide justification for the use of a single transmitter from two or more ships. This could authorize various types of marine radio equipment to be carried from ship to ship.

Also on the Ship License Type page, only select "Fleet" if you can certify that none of the vessels in the fleet are using DSC (Digital Selective Calling) or AIS (Automatic Identification System) equipment. Use the Attachments link at the top of the page to upload that certification.

On the Ship Radio Requirement Categories page (which is only displayed if you answered Yes to the "Are you required by law or treaty to carry a radio on your vessel" question), only answer Question A as Yes if the vessel is 1600 or more gross tons AND carrying more than 12 passengers:

Also on the Ship Radio Requirement Categories page, you must answer one of the questions on this page as Yes to obtain a "Ship Compulsory Equipped (SB)" license. If you answer all of these questions as No, you will receive a "Ship Recreational or Voluntarily Equipped (SA)" license.

On the Summary page, review your application and click the Continue to Certify button to continue.

On the Certification page, sign your application by typing your name in the boxes provided and click the Submit button.

ULS will calculate the fees. Fees for online filing MUST be received within 10 calendar days of the filing.

Click the Continue For Payment Options button to choose the method of payment.

Further information regarding Ship Station licenses can be found at
https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-...radio-stations

The Rules that govern Ship Station licenses can be found under 47 CFR - Part 80 and are accessible at the following website:
https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?&node=pt47.5.80
Old 27-05-2020, 19:04   #43

I really need honest opinions of benefits to being
USCG Documented or Just State Registered.
I would like to do title work or Uscg stuff this week. Any opinions here, did I miss a reply somewhere?
Old 27-05-2020, 19:08   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamBig View Post
I really need honest opinions of benefits to being
USCG Documented or Just State Registered.
I would like to do title work or Uscg stuff this week. Any opinions here, did I miss a reply somewhere?
USCG documentation is easier for foreign governments to understand, though Bahamas won't care as they have a ton of US boats visiting. Technically, USCG documentation does not relieve you from state registration so it's not an either-or situation. Florida will enforce the requirement. Can't speak of other states.

Bottom line. You need the state registration. Do that. Worry about USCG documentation later if it makes sense
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 20:10   #45

Boat: Costco boogie board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn_Black View Post
I'm not taking anything away from people that want to spend their retirement sailing, they earned it. It was our decision to move our businesses online and do it in our 30's, although we were unfortunate that this crisis came at this time.
In hindsight it was a mistake for me to give up my writing business in favour of chartering, but there was no way I could have known that.

Big day of things opening up here on Maui. It's so quiet here without all of the visitors. We still have 14 day quarantine for anyone coming in even from our other Hawaiian islands.

Capt_Black, thanks for sharing! Based on your responses though I think you misunderstood my encouragement. It's awesome and amazing that you took off in your 30's to sail. That takes gumption and courage among many other things.

Half of the planet right now is probably looking at some choice they made pre-Covid and feeling that if they had known, they would have taken that other fork in the road. I know I am! We play the hand we are dealt the best we can and try to remain thankful for all of the positive things that we are blessed with. Health being #1. Sounds like you have your health as well as a new family to love and protect. Life is good mate!
Kimo_Kai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new captain, newbie, offshore, questions, sail, sailing