Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2020, 04:54   #1

Boat: Norman Cross 38' Ketch, Vancouver 25, Temptist International, Hobie 16
New to offshore sailing & have questions

Want to create a space for all us that are new to off shore sailing to have simple questions answered. Especially, for those re-guarding safety, regulations, licenses, legalities for new captains, or any other general newbie question that might not fit anywhere else. I will start it off.
DreamBig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 04:55   #2

Re: New to offshore sailing & have questions

Hello all,

I kinda fall into the wannabe category. Although, I was in the U.S. Navy, and have lived on a very large inland reservoir my entire life (42yrs). I have sailed; sunfish, compac 16, lazer, hobie cat, and a mac 25. I have guided fishing on my lake for 10 years now, owning multiple powerboats from 30' down to small mud boats. I have always dreamed of sailing the ocean, which never happened in the Navy, as I was assigned to a special warfare duty, that wasn't order to ships. Anyway, I purchased a Cross 38 trimaran 3 weeks ago, which I have to fixed up and get ready to go. While I have a bit of work ahead of me, I do have many hands to help along the way.

My questions are many... so ....
First a little about my new yacht; She is a ketch rigged tri with good hulls and a few areas on deck that need fixed. All three sails have been restitched at least once, but but don't look nor feel ragged. Standing rigging is new two years ago, and has never left the dock, Running rigging in sail away condition. (but no spares) Large bruce plow anchor, and large danforth, (haven't weighed either) 20 meters of gal. chain + 200ft of nylon rode, (200ft nylon rode for danforth). She's not comfy nor pretty yet, but she could sail if need be. Motor 15hp long shaft hung off transom. Electronics wise she is a blank canvas.

So, now the plans. Boat and family live in Texas. Myself, wife, and.... wait for it.... 4 kids. Three of them teenagers...(8,13,14,15) Someone just shoot me now. Anyhow, like I said, I have dreamed the same as many of you once did for far too long, and want to give it a go.... family is on board if merely for the learning experience. Two of the Teenagers are quite good sailors of smaller boats, and I have a brother that has some experience with larger Ketches. Free berth till Nov 30, 2020. (Part of boat deal). Then gunk-hole towards Florida. If we like cruising continue through keys, and to Bahama's if not, moor the boat there and sell cheap. (Not in this to make money, here to have experiences). Stay maybe until March in Bahamas/Caribbean. (no real schedule, just guide line) If it's still fun, moor boat in Exuma area and fly back. (sell/rent house and stuff then continue on) If not sail back to states and sell cheap.

So, here goes the questions. Please bear with me.

1. Have Plastimo contest 101 bulk head compass (This should be perfect. Right)

2. Have Humminbird Helix 9 gps sonar, network capable, has an interesting live sonar mapping that I think will be really handy, and well I already have it. :-) Any reason this is a No go?

3. Need ais and good dsc vhf. Is Standard Horizon gx2000 good enough?
a: What exactly do I "Need" before I register ais,
Fcc amateur radio license?
I assume get with CG on Ais register? Is this needed?

4. Wife wants composting head! Is there a damn good reason not too? :-)
Is there a damn good one, that doesn't cost a $grand$?? Boat is blank
slate, I will build tank-age (I can weld aluminum or stainless)

5. New Radar NOT in budget, ($1k or less) should I consider a used one?
Go with out, based on plans? I will have active 360 degree sonar... not
completely worthless, but again something I already have from being a
fishing guide.

6. Has one new agm battery and two 100 watt solar panels (rigid).
Add 3- 200amp agm batteries, or 2- 100 amp lifepo4, or 2-100amp lipo. (Long time Rc pilot, understand batteries well enough to keep all three options safe) Understand lipo won't last as long, potentially more dangerous, but half the cost, and more power less weight. Input???

Add two flexable 150 watt panels? Is that enough for 4 months of
Family cruising.

7. Motor is in good shape, but it's two stroke, (Will have dingy 8hp long shaft two stroke, and honda four stoke 2.3 as back ups), So question,,, spend 3k on sails or 3k on new motor? ( I nor my wife likes smell of diesel). My money is on new sails, and maybe new motor later on? Change my mind?

8. Spade rudder, and commercial self steer not in budget. Have wheel driven auto-helm, have to install and make sure it works. Is there a way to self steer using sails on a ketch and wheel. I have done this on my compac 16, fractional rig/tiller? Diagram?

9. Ideas for Gunk-holing from Houston to Florida, what to skip and what to absolutely not miss. Family friendly of course.

10. Plan two Porta- bote's as dingy's, one 12' with 2.3 honda air cooled, one 14' with 8hp or 9.9 hp tohatsu (sp). Talk me out of it?

11. Currently titled in Texas.
Transfer title or Coast guard Document?
Do I have to do both.

12. Will have epirb, ais, vhf, and sat phone. Do I need SSB/ Ham.
Any Licenses a must for epirb, ais, vhf, sat phone?

13. I have lived on the water most of my life in various size boats up to
30'. Started solo at age 8 in 16' flat bottom and 25 horsepower
Johnson manual start. County judge said, "If he can start it he can
drive it" (I was ticketed for being under age of 12)
Must I get a captain's License, seems like a painful waste of money....
For me.... I have Chapman's Piloting and Seamanship,(Thumbed
through it) and went through the basic stuff in the Navy, also. Is it a
must have?

14. What documents are must have's for immigration and customs, aside
from passports, insurance, and Id's

15. INSURANCE. I dread that word, but alas in today's age no-one can be
Liable for themselves evidently. So, now insurance tax is required for
just about everything. With whom do you talk to, any specific
companies take care of cruisers, How much should I look to pay for a
38' Cross.

16. Wind instruments. Have hand held anemometer, and windex. I feel a grand is better spent else where, maybe I would spring for a Nasa clipper, seems like the stuff aloft breaks, gets pooped on or something anyway. Change my mind? Fyi. Barring the sog, stw conversation, I have plans for that.

Ok, I am sure I can think of more, but that's enough for now... It's kinda fun being a newbie wannabe btw. Whether or not the dream comes to full fruition, it's still a ton of fun to at least have a dream. :-)

Thanks in advance to anybody that wants to put their inputs. "Nearest yacht club 3 hrs drive from me" So, I can't just go find an old salt.

Ready "GO!!!" :-)

Cheers,

James
Old 26-05-2020, 05:09   #3

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamBig View Post
Want to create a space for all us that are new to off shore sailing to have simple questions answered. Especially, for those re-guarding safety, regulations, licenses, legalities for new captains, or any other general newbie question that might not fit anywhere else. I will start it off.
Hi, there is a recent thread on this subject (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...76#post3148576), I posted some of my opinions there. No objections to this thread, just pointing it out rather than cutting and pasting my comments here.
Anyway, I shall read through your comment here and offer any advice that I can.
Old 26-05-2020, 05:27   #4

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

I don't live in the US, so can't answer all of these, and some I don;t have direct experience of, but here's my opinions -
1. Sure, but make sure you get the deviation checked and fixed. There are books on the subject if you want to do it yourself.
2. It's your money mate
4. I read that many states have banned them. Use a manual heads imo. Simple is usually the way to go for all equipment.
5. Depends on your cruising grounds. If you will regularly be out in fog, then yes.
6. I use my 2x 220 amp lead acids to trim against the weight of my full tanks, and the weight saved from lithium would not be worth the cost for me right now, though by all accounts they are good. My ship is 8.5 tons, so the weight is less of an issue.
7. Sails over engine every time. But if they are in good enough condition, but ust dirty, then keep using them. Sun protect is essential for them. Leaving and entering an anchorage under sail alone can be nerve-wracking if you haven't practiced it, so practice it.
8. Google "sheet to tiller self steering".
9. Skip Florida :P Except St. Augustine and Ft. Lauderdale
10. Again, your money mate, but rowing will keep you fit.
12. If you are close enough to shore to receive weather reports by radio or VHS, then an SSB is not really needed.
13. If you know what you are doing, then no. You can read the study guides without taking the test. If you want fully-comp insurance then it is worth the cost.
14. Just your ships papers, often 3 months bank statements etc too.
15. Fully comp insurance is not cheap if you are thinking of international cruising, and not worth it imo. Third-party only is cheap.
16. Wind instruments are nice. But it is worth learning to sail without them. In the day you can use tell-tails, at night I turn my head until i feel the wind on both ears to get the direction.
Old 26-05-2020, 05:42   #5

Congrats on your purchase!

Sounds like a great adventure!
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 05:54   #6

Kimo thanks for the info. I agree those motors have been great for me in the past.

@ buzzman thanks for the ideas.. I am fortunate that I have a set of old boat plans coming my way for the cross 38, and have seriously thought about moving motor(s) more amidship, to reduce the hobby horse effect. I was considering the floating sled much like Brown/Marples did with searunner, but it seems like quite alot of added weight, and potentially quite a lot of moving parts to break. I will examine this in more detail, I recall reading a thread in here years back that described a float sled for tri's motors, I will see if I can find it again?

Dingy, I love the idea of a hard sailing dingy, and might very well go this route. I also like the idea of a soft boat that doesn't weigh too much. Choices and sacrifices. Great Input, Thanks

As for fridges.... this is where things might get complicated. I am in-fact an AC/ Refrigeration business owner. Or was until I sold it. Anyway, I might go simple like a Engel/ Dometic style with blanket to keep efficiency up, but I really, really want to design a chest style fridge with freezer inside in the middle, dc variable brush-less driven compressor; that doubles as a continuous, Aircon/ dehumidifier/ water-maker. Not RO but instead from condensate, and then filtered. If I can design it to run off battery bank and solar, it might be the ticket. My home AC makes nearly 20 gallons a day of condensate, run it through a Berkey type filtration, and should be good to go. But we will see on that one. Time and money. :-)

You're right on out house, and so is the wifee.... but damn a thousand dollar crapper. Smh.. I am gonna put a Gucci sticker on it. @Natures-head. :-P.... I know by the time I build tank-age, plumbing, fittings, through hulls; I would be at or above $1k or better anyway.

cheers,

P.S. ordered paint, glass, and epoxy today, next week the fun begins. :-/
Old 26-05-2020, 05:57   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Welcome. I hope you get bunches of good advice and thoroughly enjoy yourself. Let me pick off just a few topics.

Radar: Standards of safety are continually changing. We cruised in the 1960s without radar, AIS, or GPS. Really, it was the Mk.I eyeball only. We also got run over by freighters. If you are going where you can't see (night, fog) then you can set yourself up for under $1K. There are options, but the Furuno DRS4W wireless radar is less than $850 at present, and a refurbished iPad to receive it is less than $150.

Learning: Recent editions of Chapman are comic books aimed at the mass of boaters - think 25' with two 250 HP outboards. You don't need certifications in the US, at least, but you really do need to stay inside your skill envelope as it gradually grows. Schools are great, reading is great, and reading posts on this forum is wonderful. If you want to see the contrast with Chapman, download a complete copy of the bible, AKA Bowditch's American Practical Navigator, at

https://msi.nga.mil/Publications/APN

There are reasons a 200 year old book is still used by our Navy.

VHF/AIS. I've been inclined to separate these two, using the AIS as a back-up chart plotter, but it's cheaper to combine them. Just be sure that you get an AIS transceiver, not just a receiver, because there is always the off chance that that freighter actually is keeping a watch and will avoid you, not just you avoid it.

Radio, MMSI, etc. paperwork: You'll find that the manuals for your units steer you to getting a radio telephone license and to registering yourself with an MMSI number, such that when you key the mic the Coast Guard will know more about you than your mother.
Old 26-05-2020, 06:05   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Navigation: You can spend a bunch here without much gain over OpenCPN (free!), NOAA chart downloads for it (free!), and a refurbished Lenovo Yoga made-for-school-children tough 11" laptop ($150 the last time I bought one), and a $20 generic GPS antenna/receiver. You don't really need a $5000 glass cockpit.
Old 26-05-2020, 07:06   #9

Boat: Rafiki 37

Hi James, that's a long list of items and questions. I'll offer my thoughts IN RED on a few where I have some useful experience.

In general, there is rarely one right answer to most cruising questions (despite the sometimes silly debates that get going here ). It sounds like you're planning to take small steps first, and re-evaluate as you go along. This sounds good to me. I think cruising with two adults and four teens (or near teen)is going to be a significant challenge.

I have no experience with multihulls, let alone a "ketch rigged tri", which strikes me as a pretty rare cruising boat. I'd focus on simple questions like: quality of chain plates, deck, mast mount, rudder(s?), thru-hulls. I.E, I'd make sure the bones are good.

How are the sails? How's the galley? Storage? Water tankage? Fuel capacity?

...So, here goes the questions. Please bear with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamBig View Post
1. Have Plastimo contest 101 bulk head compass (This should be perfect. Right)

2. Have Humminbird Helix 9 gps sonar, network capable, has an interesting live sonar mapping that I think will be really handy, and well I already have it. :-) Any reason this is a No go?

a: What exactly do I "Need" before I register ais,
Fcc amateur radio license?
I assume get with CG on Ais register? Is this needed?

This radio can accept and display AIS data, but is not a receiver or transponder. You'll need a separate transponder or receiver. The Standard Horizon GX2200 (or their newer GX2400) has the built in AIS receiver.

You will need to register for an MMSI number to use the DSC capabilities. There seems to be two levels of MMSI in the USA. Make sure you get the international version if you plan to leave your shores.

I have cruised with a composting head for nearly a decade now. I think it is one of the best improvements we've made to our boat, and it's one of the best options for a cruiser. HOWEVER, the commercial versions out there (Nature's, Air, C) are all designed for two, perhaps three adults for full time use.

Unless you're planning to have two composters, and make sure they get evenly used, I really wouldn't recommend it for your plans.

fishing guide.

Radar is useful, but it is certainly possible to manage without one. They are most useful in fog, or in other low/no light conditions. Sonar is not a substitute. AIS overlaps some Radar functions, but definitely not all.

6. Has one new agm battery and two 100 watt solar panels (rigid).
Add 3- 200amp agm batteries, or 2- 100 amp lifepo4, or 2-100amp lipo. (Long time Rc pilot, understand batteries well enough to keep all three options safe) Understand lipo won't last as long, potentially more dangerous, but half the cost, and more power less weight. Input???

Add two flexable 150 watt panels? Is that enough for 4 months of
Family cruising.

Electrical gurus will step in with comments on batteries. I've always used standard lead-acid flooded (deep cycle). My house bank is (theoretically) 320 Ah. I'd be happier with another 100Ah, but this works for my needs.

As for solar capacity, I'd just say you need to have some idea of your daily power draw before you can really answer this question. Basically, you want to have a charging capacity that can recoup your daily draw (with a good margin of error).

My own setup includes 400 watts of solar, and a 400 watt wind generator. The solar accounts for about 85% of my charging, but wind fills in the gap nicely, especially when solar is poor.

7. Motor is in good shape, but it's two stroke, (Will have dingy 8hp long shaft two stroke, and honda four stoke 2.3 as back ups), So question,,, spend 3k on sails or 3k on new motor? ( I nor my wife likes smell of diesel). My money is on new sails, and maybe new motor later on? Change my mind?

If you're a sailboat, good sails are always the priority. But having a reliable engine is also very useful, especially in close quarters like marinas.

8. Spade rudder, and commercial self steer not in budget. Have wheel driven auto-helm, have to install and make sure it works. Is there a way to self steer using sails on a ketch and wheel. I have done this on my compac 16, fractional rig/tiller? Diagram?

Don't know. But at least with a crew of six, you shouldn't have too many problems with always having a helmsperson.

I'd still prioritize a good autohelm. There are electrics that should do the job, and they cost in the small thousands.

9. Ideas for Gunk-holing from Houston to Florida, what to skip and what to absolutely not miss. Family friendly of course.

10. Plan two Porta- bote's as dingy's, one 12' with 2.3 honda air cooled, one 14' with 8hp or 9.9 hp tohatsu (sp). Talk me out of it?

I've had a 10' portabote for must be 15 years now. I think they are excellent dinghies, but they are different than standard inflatables. Having two is smart given your crew compliment.

11. Currently titled in Texas.
Transfer title or Coast guard Document?
Do I have to do both.

Nope. Don't need the SSB. Nice to have. Not necessary. I think you need a station license for the others.

13. I have lived on the water most of my life in various size boats up to
30'. Started solo at age 8 in 16' flat bottom and 25 horsepower
Johnson manual start. County judge said, "If he can start it he can
drive it" (I was ticketed for being under age of 12)
Must I get a captain's License, seems like a painful waste of money....
For me.... I have Chapman's Piloting and Seamanship,(Thumbed
through it) and went through the basic stuff in the Navy, also. Is it a
must have?

Training is rarely wasted, but it's not necessary. I've heard that some insurance companies offer discounts to those with accreditation though. Maybe worth looking into.

14. What documents are must have's for immigration and customs, aside
from passports, insurance, and Id's.

Proof of boat ownership.

38' Cross.

16. Wind instruments. Have hand held anemometer, and windex. I feel a grand is better spent else where, maybe I would spring for a Nasa clipper, seems like the stuff aloft breaks, gets pooped on or something anyway. Change my mind? Fyi. Barring the sog, stw conversation, I have plans for that.

Windy is nice. Not necessary.

Ok, I am sure I can think of more, but that's enough for now... It's kinda fun being a newbie wannabe btw. Whether or not the dream comes to full fruition, it's still a ton of fun to at least have a dream. :-)

Thanks in advance to anybody that wants to put their inputs. "Nearest yacht club 3 hrs drive from me" So, I can't just go find an old salt.
Old 26-05-2020, 07:57   #10

Boat: Wendon Skylounge 72'

"15. INSURANCE. I dread that word, but alas in today's age no-one can be
38' Cross."

People throw around "cheap" and "expensive" but that' doesn't help you much as its so subjective. So don't treat this as gospel, but just as a rough guide to help you whittle down your options/decisions: Expect to pay around 1% to 1.5% of the value of the boat in annual insurance premium, with a deductible of around $1,000 - $2,000. Just as a ballpark. This will cover Physical Damage to your boat as well as Liability to others. The Liability coverage should have a limit of no less than $300,000. Expect to have to produce evidence of Liability insurance at Marinas you moor at. Not all but some.

~Alan
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 08:05   #11

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

What an excellent post. I have commented on things that might help.

I am sure you would be able to connect this to a PC/laptop running OpenCPN already mentioned. Having you existing fixed gps is better than a USB puck IMO and you already have it.

Very economical option. You could go for a black box AIS receiver (NASA) and connect it to OpenCPN, then a standard VHF with DSC calling. You need a VHF Radio lic and be added to AIS register.

There is a lot to be said for a hole in the side and a tank with a valve and a pump out connection. Keep it simple.

fishing guide.
Not essential but a broadband radar unit, B&G, Lowrance, Garmin will plug directly into OpenCPN without needing a dedicated (expensive) display. These units use almost minimal power compared to older units. Check the OpenCPN.org website for compatibility.

Two stoke is fine, I know the greenies hate them but they are ultra reliable, needing little maintenance and on a multihull won't get much use anyway.

Multis track like they are on rails so get the sails balanced, very easy on a ketch rig and it will maintain a pretty good course. Would still recommend the wheel pilot and an identical spare if you start passage making. Windvanes don't work well on multis.

A rubber inflatable will give you autonomy in choppy anchorages especially with your crew compliment. It will stow easily on a wing deck. A roll up with air floor would give the option to stow completely on longer passages. The Tohatsu 9.8 2 stoke is superb and the lightest at 26kg. Easy starter for the ladies too. 2 stroke to match the main engine. I would probably ditch the Honda if you don't already have it a go for another 2 stroke, same fuel no mistakes.

Epirb - reg (buy one with a user replaceable battery), ais - reg, vhf - lic
sat phone - air time is expensive to maintain, so wouldn't bother unless long distance passage making. Cell coverage is very good now in most places.
Ham/SSB is great but not essential. IMO you miss out if you don't have one on ocean passages. Buy a HAM set and open it up for Marine Freq. Cheaper and more sophisticated. You don't need a marine set or DSC for this.

38' Cross.
Not sure you will get fully comp cover for the Cross. Third party liability is mandatory in a lot of marinas now so yes.

A Cross is pretty forgiving but a multi really should be sailed on the numbers. You will get a lot more satisfaction learn faster and it will reduce you anxiety in strong winds if you have a mast head wind instrument. Again you could investigate connecting a NMEA wind transducer directly into OpenCPN it would save another display.

HAVE FUN....
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 09:22   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

I have used my radar about 10 times in 10 years. I just haven't sailed in fog that often.

I find AIS much more useful, especially when navigating the strait of Dover or passing Maasmunde by Rotterdam.

The most important electronic item I use is the VHF. A US sailor needs an operator's license and the boat need a station license. One of those licenses needs to be renewed.

In Europe, one must carry 1 million in liability and I only have 12000 comprehensive. So if my boat sinks, I would certainly have to downsize...but I pay less than 200 euros a year.

I have learned to live without ice cubes, but my Dometic CF110 makes the beer quite cold. The CF110 can cool or freeze, but not both. So I live without frozen food as well.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 10:03   #13

@ Capt. Black. Thank you for your inputs, kinda my feeling on the Florida stuff, been to the keys and everglades by way of van camping. It was nice during winter time. :-). Some of the excess (my money stuff) is stuff I already have that will be re-purposed. so, in a way it's not costing any more money. :-). I.e. don't have porta-bote's, but do have the motors. Again, thanks for the inputs.
Old 26-05-2020, 10:28   #14

Anyone have a go to book for celestial navigation?

Heck with the nature of this thread; Ships library for an actual cruiser?

Keep in mind I have been raising kids and studying this for 9 years. (I like to read non fiction)

This is what I have read,

Piloting and Seamanship and small boat handling (Chapman)
World voyage planner (Cornell)
Care and repair of small marine diesels (Thompson)
Self Sufficient Sailor (Pardey)
Cost Conscious Cruiser (pardey)
Boatbuilding (Chapelle)
Details of classic boat construction (pardey)
The care and feeding of sailing Crew (Pardey)
world cruising routes (cornell)
handbook of knots and splices (gibson)
Marine diesel engines (calder)
The sextant Handbook (bauer)
Sailmaker's Apprentice (Marino)
The best of sail trim (mason)
Storm Tactics (Pardey)
12 volt bible for boats (brotherton)
as long as it's fun (Pardey)
sailing fundamentals (Jobson)
ocean passages for the world (the one with sailing routes)
Cornells Ocean Atlas
I thought I had the Nigel book on boat repairs, but I can't find it. Pardey, started my dream about all this, read all their books back to back about 9 years ago.
Old 26-05-2020, 10:34   #15

Boat: Rafiki 37

Given your book list you'd probably appreciate: Voyaging On A Small Income, by Annie Hill.

Voyaging On A Small Income | TillerPublishing.com

Tags
new captain, newbie, offshore, questions, sail, sailing