Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2020, 06:55   #1

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse
Need advice for EU sailboat purchase

It looks like I may buy a sailboat in Sweden and have it shipped to the US. I could use some advice/help on the logistics of Insurance, Registration, and EU Travel.

The first part of the survey, on land, will be done in late March and then the plan is to fly out to Stockholm to complete the in-water survey and seatrial and then complete the purchase/transfer of ownership in late April. Then I will sail it to a departure port that the shipping company uses (probably Hamburg or Antwerp) where the boat will be loaded onto a transport ship and I will fly home. When the ship arrives in the US, I will be there to meet it and offload the boat, where I will then sail it to Boston.

There are obviously a lot of things to coordinate with this plan. The existing Swedish registration will be dissolved prior to the transfer of ownership and thus the boat will have no registration.

Is the commencement of an insurance plan dependent on a boat’s registration. If so, can I register the boat in Massachusetts (where I will end up) or CG Document it while it’s in Europe? Or do I have to get some sort of temporary European registration?

If not, can I sail the boat to the departure port without a registration and wait till the boat is in the US to register it? My preference is to eventually get the boat USCG Documented, but if I need something immediately after purchase, I’ll go with whatever is easiest.

Also, are there any complications with flying to Sweden, sailing to Germany, and then flying back to the states? For example?
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, purchase, sail, sailboat