Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2009, 07:03   #1

pirate More about taxes

I keep reading how crusers are trying to avoid taxes. I would like to get an idea of just how much their effort is worth. If I purchased a $35,000 dollar boat in Florida and keept it in Florida, how much in sales tax and other fees would I pay? Also how much in taxes and other fees would it cost me each year if I keep the boat in Florida? If these figures are ridiculous, what is the easy way to not pay taxes? If I am a blue water cruser and always sailing than it does not matter where I live. Thanks for all your replys.
viking blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 07:37   #2

Boat: Northstar 1500, 35'
Sales tax 6% (may vary for local add on) $2,100 on $35,000. My registration is $118/year on a 1976 35' boat, may differ with age. No other Florida fees. Really not woth avoiding taxes IMHO.
Jim
captjcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 11:09   #3

I agree with captjcook. Taxes and fees resulting from buying and keeping a boat in Florida are often less than those of other states because Florida has no property tax on boats. It’s true that the state sales tax is fairly high and you may well have to pay a county surcharge in addition, but it’s a one time event and the annual registration fee is cheap. The complaints about Florida taxes/fees almost always involve "foreign" boats brought into the state for extended periods. And, many of those complaints are legitimate. However, it is not just a Florida issue - it’s just that Florida is an extra popular destination. Many states seem to view the arrival of a "foreign" boat or airplane is a revenue generating opportunity:

http://articles.latimes.com/2008/jan/22/business/fi_planetax22

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 11:24   #4
DWT

When I bought my boat here in Florida 6 years ago I went with the seller to transfer title and at the same time pay sales tax and yearly tag. When the lady asked me if it had a motor the seller nudged me to say it had no motor because he did to save money. I was'nt going to lie so I told her it had a motor. I am not sure how much the seller thinks he was saving but the yearly cost of the tag for me $3.75. HA!!
So what was the big deal?
DWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 13:27   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
what is the easy way to not pay taxes?
Make'em catch you. If you see them coming throw a sheet over it and say it's an oil well and you have tax credits.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 13:49   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking blood View Post
If these figures are ridiculous, what is the easy way to not pay taxes? If I am a blue water cruser and always sailing than it does not matter where I live.
The easy part is simply not paying taxes. It gets harder when they knock on the door to collect.

Seriously as a person who strongly feels that used goods should not be taxed I would suggest that you only deal in principalities that do not tax used goods. To make that work and to make serious change would require "revolutionary" measures. That's not likely to happen soon.

Also as a person who believes in organized society, I suggest you learn as much as you can about the rules of taxation of various locales of choice and then if possible follow the rules of the locale most beneficial to you.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 17:28   #7

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
There's going to be a tax revolt in the USA soon....I'm ready for another Tea Party..!!

Pick a warm harbor....I'll be there.

I was audited 2 years ago by the IRS....after the audit...they owed me money!..
They won't be knocking anytime soon
Old 22-02-2009, 17:57   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Not only does FL charge sales tax on used boats but also requires registration on any boat that stays in the state more than 90 days, no matter where the home port or residence of the owner.

I live mostly in FL but am buying a boat that I will dock and register in RI near my company offices. If I bring the boat to FL for more than three months I will have to register here and lose my RI registration which I will have to renew (and pay for again) when I take the boat back north. I asked both states how to deal with the problem and their response was essentially deal with it ie pay every six months.

Not a huge expense but it will be annoying and it will add up after a while.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 18:25   #9

Boat: William Atkin Cutter, 35'
In Louisiana they recently enacted a requirement that all Documented vessels had to also be registered with the state. The law has been on the books for a short time. The senator who introduced the bill has just informed us that the law was being repealed in the next session as he has learned that it is illegal to have a documented vessel registered in any state.

I hope this spreads! Its all about the money!
Old 22-02-2009, 18:57   #10

Boat: Beneteau 50
NY requires registration if you are in NY waters for 90 consecutive days.
bene505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2009, 04:56   #11
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion1 View Post
In Louisiana they recently enacted a requirement that all Documented vessels had to also be registered with the state. The law has been on the books for a short time. The senator who introduced the bill has just informed us that the law was being repealed in the next session as he has learned that it is illegal to have a documented vessel registered in any state.

I hope this spreads! Its all about the money!
Orion,

Do you mean "registered" or "titled". Many states legally require a USCG documented boat to be "registered" with the state (i.e. pay a registration fee and have a state issued sticker attached), but a boat cannot be both USCG documented and "titled" in a state. Has to be one or the other--there can be only one title to prove ownership of the boat.

Registration and titling are two very distinct things.
Old 23-02-2009, 21:42   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

NY--and FL as well--do not require annual registration for boats. They require registration for motor vehicles, so if your boat does not have a "permanently attached mechanical means of propulsion"...no registration, and if there's no registration, there's no automatic means of tolling and collecting sales/use tax. (It's still due, there's just no gatekeeper process.)

FL also waives registration fees for "antique" boats, IIRC if it is 30(?) years or older, you get a break on it.

Bottom line is that you have to research the state you are looking at, and do it very carefully if that's not where you and the boat both live full-time. Tax men can and do seize your assets, including your boat, if they suspect you are cheating them. Then it is up to you to argue otherwise in tax court, and try to get your assets back.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2009, 23:08   #13

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
In California a few people new a few tricks like harbor hoping in order to avoid the accessors but I would never do such a thing myself . They would access your boat and the dirt under your boat where you were berthed. I s#*t you not!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 04:40   #14

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
NJ requires my documented vessel to be registered every year and display the annual stickers

Tags
taxes