Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2020, 13:07   #1

Boat: Cape Dory 27 - 1978
Mooring Boat instead of Winter Storage

I live in Long Island in New York and am trying to find a cheaper way to store my boat for the winter. A lot of cruisers come anchor in the bay that I live in and stay there for the entire summer. Could I anchor/moor my boat in the bay and just leave it there for the winter? I feel like this could be a much cheaper way to store my boat.
Old 30-03-2020, 13:40   #2

Re: Mooring Boat instead of Winter Storage

I've done it for about 3 winters. But it was really a cheap 27 footer which I did not mind losing since I paid all of $400 for. On the bright side - the worst damage during all those winter months was the topping lift halyard failing and the boom falling on top of the entry hatch, with no damage to speak of. Saved about $4,500 overall as opposed to winter storage on the hard. You decide.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 14:10   #3

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

It may be cheaper right up until suddenly it ain't..this video made the rounds of sailing forums last year...

https://www.golocalprov.com/news/vid...-drone-footage

https://www.middletownpress.com/midd...s-13588653.php
brazenarticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 14:19   #4

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

It's a risk. Your bilge pumps will freeze. Scuppers will freeze. If a thru-hull or hose freezes and cracks, and water gets in it will eventually sink. Probably no insurance company would pay. If your fuel gets into the water you may face an environmental cleanup bill that could run six-figures. Maybe lawsuits and fines, too? Those Long Island waterfront estate owners won't take kindly to it.

Do a google search for "Submerged Sailboat in Hamburg Cove, Lyme CT"[/B]
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 15:01   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

You're in the wrong place for this. Down here it's common among assumedly under-financed boats. We usually have two or three anchored in the secondary channel in the harbor, and one or two up river that have their masts down or are under 35 feet tall (bridge). Every few years one sinks and the owner tows it to the nearest non-private property, usually the power line right of way or under a bridge to rot in peace.
Old 31-03-2020, 09:11   #6

Boat: 30 feet sailboat, 1991

I live in Western Nova Scotia, and did this for many years. We don't have extreme low temperatures and we rarely have ice. But we have wind , and lots of it. If a boat is on a mooring and it's blowing 70 knots, you can't do a thing. You have to dump a pile of salt in the bilge so your pumps don't freeze. In later years I kept the boat at a pretty bullet proof commercial wharf, which is only 50 yards from my house. Even this was far from worry free. Trying to get to check your lines when the floating dock you're tied to is moving like a galloping horse and has an inch of ice on it, and you're coping with a 90knot wind cannot be considered safe. I don't do it any more, I hold my nose and pay up to have it stored on the land
peter loveridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 09:14   #7

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Quite practical if you live locally and get out the check the boat most W/E and can move into a marina for a few days if there is bad weather. Leaving a boat untended on a mooring for any length of tome summer or winter generally has a bad outcome.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 09:23   #8

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Just don't.

Your greed is going to ruin it for everyone else.

After people get tired of looking at it all winter or it breaks away and sinks, laws will be passed to ban anchoring in long island.

We don't need you screwing that up.

If you can't afford the boat, sell it or give it away.

No BS about it. You'll ruin it for everyone by abusing the freedom we have.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 09:42   #9

I have moored my boat for many years. She has been though many storms and fared better than many boats in the marinas. Should’ve seen all the docks and boats up in the marsh all around my boat. I say enjoy your freedom. Just make sure you set a adequate mooring
keyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 09:56   #10

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyway View Post
I have moored my boat for many years. She has been though many storms and fared better than many boats in the marinas. Should’ve seen all the docks and boats up in the marsh all around my boat. I say enjoy your freedom. Just make sure you set a adequate mooring
He's talking about dumping his unsightly boat in a harbor in a very residential area for the winter because he doesn't want to pay for storage.

He's talking about anchoring, not putting it on a mooring.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 10:34   #11

Boat: Cape Dory 27 - 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
He's talking about dumping his unsightly boat in a harbor in a very residential area for the winter because he doesn't want to pay for storage.

He's talking about anchoring, not putting it on a mooring.
Unsightly? I own a beautiful Cape Dory 27! Carl Alberg designed, she's an incredible boat.

And I would use a mooring instead of an anchor, I would not trust an anchor holding throughout the winter.
Old 31-03-2020, 11:00   #12

Boat: Tartan 3000

Met a guy who takes his boat up the Hudson for the winter. Said it was much cheaper. Kingston area I think.

I see some boats anchored or moored in Huntington harbor in the winter. Look pretty battered. Saw a few off the Cross Islands parkway, looked the same.

Quite a collection of budget friendly boats moored off the east shore of City Island. Don't know if they spend the winter there. Looked like they had been out in the elements. Think it was July or August when I passed by.

Get yourself an oversized anchor, 50 lb or more, and see what happens.

Let me know how it goes. My 30 ft costs about $2500 in winter storage. Does not see worth it.
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 11:14   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter loveridge View Post
I live in Western Nova Scotia, and did this for many years. We don't have extreme low temperatures and we rarely have ice. But we have wind , and lots of it. If a boat is on a mooring and it's blowing 70 knots, you can't do a thing. You have to dump a pile of salt in the bilge so your pumps don't freeze. In later years I kept the boat at a pretty bullet proof commercial wharf, which is only 50 yards from my house. Even this was far from worry free. Trying to get to check your lines when the floating dock you're tied to is moving like a galloping horse and has an inch of ice on it, and you're coping with a 90knot wind cannot be considered safe. I don't do it any more, I hold my nose and pay up to have it stored on the land
Peter,

The assume you pulled in Shelburne.

Do you recall the lift capacity?
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 13:28   #14

Boat: 30 feet sailboat, 1991

done with a fancy computerised trailer. I was very impressed, having had it done lots of different ways. About 50 feet and twenty tons. Taylors sailboat hauling and storage, total for out, in and winter storage about $1200 which includes the tax, for my 30 footer
peter loveridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 14:00   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Peter,

Thank you very much. I believe we met very briefly a few years ago. I bought Dave Syer’s Chouette some year before that. We also have a second boat now in the Caribbean. But who knows this year, eh?

I was able to find that outfit on the Web. 8’ draft and 30,000lb capacity. Unfortunately we are 40,000lb.

Enjoy your spring.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, mooring, storage