Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2020, 14:03   #16

Boat: Swallowed the anchor
Re: Mooring Boat instead of Winter Storage

I've never docked a boat in over fifty years of sailing, been on moorings the entire time.

If you decide to go this route absolutely use a mooring and make sure it has been recently dived on and inspected with the mooring tackle appropriately sized for your boat. I'd spec 1/2" bottom chain and 3/8" top chain at a minimum. Renew all swivels and shackles and mouse them appropriately.

Your next issue will be chafe on the pennants. Tough to solve the chafe issue to 100% security through the winter nor'easters. What I did to solve the chafe issue was to install a 5/8" u-bolt through the bow about 1' above the waterline. The u-bolt was fabricated with rolled threads not cut threads and was long enough to go through serious reinforcement of the stem. I had 3 pennants, 2 over the bow in the typical manner but set slack and the main pennant was 1'' poly/nylon double braid from the u-bolt to the mooring chain.

Your next issue is how much does your boat sail at anchor in high winds? If it's substantial you'll get significant side loading on the u-bolt which is not good.

Your boat, your call but remember those winter storms can and do blow for days.
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 15:09   #17
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_Grant View Post
I live in Long Island in New York and am trying to find a cheaper way to store my boat for the winter. A lot of cruisers come anchor in the bay that I live in and stay there for the entire summer. Could I anchor/moor my boat in the bay and just leave it there for the winter? I feel like this could be a much cheaper way to store my boat.
I have secured my boats (then San Juan 28; now Tayana Vancouver 42) to a three-legged mooring buoy system of my design 24/7/365 since 1995 in Puget Sound. There has never been any ice to contend with but winter northerly winds from Canada can get very strong. I generally visit the boat a couple of times a month and I religiously service the mooring system every three years with a complete bridle replacement; everything is off the shelf parts. For 24.6 years my moorage cost has averaged less than $20/month...this year alone the moorage at the local marina for my boat would cost $530/month plus utilities. Like everything else associated with boating, there are tradeoffs but it has allowed me to afford the sailing that I do.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 16:18   #18

Boat: Farr 1020

I come from Essex, Pomyland, where 15-18ft tides occur and large mudbanks dry at low water. During winter, ice forms on mud and then travels with the tide. Seen some bad damage to topsides, boot top area, due to floating ice.
As others said, bilge pumps freeze and rigging suffers with ice forming, fabric covers never dry etc. Check the risk and your insurance.
Roger
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 19:28   #19

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJH View Post
I have secured my boats (then San Juan 28; now Tayana Vancouver 42) to a three-legged mooring buoy system of my design 24/7/365 since 1995 in Puget Sound. There has never been any ice to contend with but winter northerly winds from Canada can get very strong. I generally visit the boat a couple of times a month and I religiously service the mooring system every three years with a complete bridle replacement; everything is off the shelf parts. For 24.6 years my moorage cost has averaged less than $20/month...this year alone the moorage at the local marina for my boat would cost $530/month plus utilities. Like everything else associated with boating, there are tradeoffs but it has allowed me to afford the sailing that I do.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
Are you in Gig Harbor proper with that mooring? If so - would it be possible to get a permit for a new one?
Smokeys Kitchen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 21:39   #20
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeys Kitchen View Post
Are you in Gig Harbor proper with that mooring? If so - would it be possible to get a permit for a new one?
No. I am in rural Pierce County with mail via Gig Harbor.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, mooring, storage