Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2019, 15:32   #1

Boat: Tartan 3800
Minnesota DNR confirms that it is illegal to ride on the tubes of an inflatable boat

Wow.

Quote:
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2019 4:33 PM
To: MN_Info (DNR) <info.dnr@state.mn.us>
Subject: Boating safety rules interpretation for inflatable craft

Dear DNR:

I have been boating in Minnesota for many years and am familiar with the laws and regulations. I understand that it is unlawful to ride or sit on the gunwales of a motorboat while it is underway unless the boat is equipped with an appropriate railing. This is mentioned on p.35 of the 2018 boating guide.

I am considering the purchase of a rigid inflatable boat (RIB). The nature of these boats is that the sponsons (tubes/pontoons) that make up the sides are used for seating. This is the manufacturers' recommendation as it is the only way that these boats can accommodate a reasonable number of people and stay safely balanced.

Here is a web page from a manufacturer whose boats are being sold by a local dealer in Bloomington. Note the photographs illustrating the customary seating position for the operator on the sponson:

Classic 310 - Highfield Boats

My question is how the state law regarding seating on the gunwales is interpreted by the DNR for boats with this type of construction. If the DNR considers the sponsons to be the gunwales of the boat, making it unlawful to operate the boat while seated there, I would not purchase a boat of this type.

[ Reply from DNR ]

I have attached the statute that covers your question. You will notice the statute refers to gunwales but also sides of the watercraft. With that said the statute also states "unless the motorboat is provided with adequate guards or railing to prevent passengers from falling overboard." Could the courts interpret the manufacture handles located on the sides as guards? Maybe. This is bit of a questionable call for law enforcement on the water given the circumstances seen at the time. However, I did notice that the manufacture offers a front bench seat and/or a console steering set up which would clearly put it 100% into the legal operation arena if used in that capacity. I think what you would find is more often than not law enforcement would interpret and testify that the handles are not adequate to prevent falling overboard. Given my years working on the water, I would interpret it that way.

86B.311 GENERAL RULES FOR OPERATION

Subd. 5. Riding on gunwales or decking. A person may not ride or sit and a person may not operate a motorboat while a person is riding or sitting on (i) the starboard or port gunwales; (ii) the decking over the bow, sides, or stern; or (iii) the transom, of a motorboat while underway unless the motorboat is provided with adequate guards or railing to prevent passengers from falling overboard.

Lieutenant A[...]
State Boating Law Administrator | Division of Enforcement
Minnesota Department of Natural Resources
500 Lafayette Road
St Paul, MN 55155-4047
[...phone...]

[...email address...]
mndnr.gov
Contact information redacted in compliance with forum expectations
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 15:40   #2

Boat: Colegate 26
Re: Minnesota DNR confirms that it is illegal to ride on the tubes of an inflatable b

Law breaker! Risk taker! Livin' on the eeeeeeeeeeeeeeddddddggggeeee!!!

LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 15:45   #3

Boat: 50’ Bavaria
Re: Minnesota DNR confirms that it is illegal to ride on the tubes of an inflatable b

How exactly are you supposed to use 90% of inflatables without sitting on the tubes?
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 15:47   #4

Boat: Colegate 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
How exactly are you supposed to use 90% of inflatables without sitting on the tubes?
You'll need to install lifelines, sir. Load bearing up to 250 lbs.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 15:55   #5

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Government over-reach. Looks like a knee jerk reaction to one tragedy. You know what politicians say, "never let a tragedy go to waste".
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 16:40   #6

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

There are no gunwhales or decking on an inflatable so subd 5 is meaningless.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 16:47   #7

Boat: Valiant 42

If it is impossible to fall overboard why do the make us use those pesky kill switch lanyards?
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 17:17   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
If it is impossible to fall overboard why do the make us use those pesky kill switch lanyards?
It makes them feel important.
Old 08-01-2019, 18:37   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Doubt it will be enforced much and perhaps intended to apply to larger say 14' plus boats going 25 or more knots? Just a thought. I wouldn't sweat it. Heck, probably not many days in MN you could!
Old 08-01-2019, 19:21   #10

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

There are lots of days you can’t fall into the water in Minnesota.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 19:58   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post

Right, this time of year you fall onto it in most cases, because it's solid and slippery.
Old 08-01-2019, 20:01   #12

Does this rule apply to ice boats?
Old 08-01-2019, 20:09   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Doubt it will be enforced much and perhaps intended to apply to larger say 14' plus boats going 25 or more knots? Just a thought. I wouldn't sweat it. Heck, probably not many days in MN you could!

Well, we have too many rules. They've been tinkering with the new carbon monoxide detector rule, which affects sailboats, and requires three ugly warning stickers and a specially approved marine CO detector (ones from the home center don't qualify). Whole thing was motivated by a fatality a few years ago where someone was running a cheap gasoline generator so they could plug in an electric heater in the cabin of their boat when they were caught out in a storm.

The "sitting on gunwales" thing was first on the books in the 1970s and I remember friends being stopped and warned because they had low (6" high) railings meant as handholds, rather than lifelines, on the bow decking. I believe the rule was originally motivated by situations where someone could be hit by the prop if they fell, but this aspect of it has been lost.

It is generally sheriff's deputies enforcing these rules and this is one of their favorite ones to enforce because they can observe a violation from a distance and they consider it safety related. Right up there with overloading and not enough PFDs in things they will try to bust people for.
Old 08-01-2019, 20:14   #14

The old knee jerk, revenue producer disguised as "public safety".
Old 09-01-2019, 08:08   #15

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post

LMAO!
SVTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, inflatable, legal, minnesota