Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 16:59   #46
mcm

Re: Marina wants to be on my Insurance?

My insurance in Canada has no problem issuing additional named insurance within Canada, not sure about Cdn Co, insuring US interests, when I ran into your problem in Florida, the Marina agreed to accept a letter from my Ins. Co, stating they would advise the Marina 30 days ahead of any changes in the current coverage, Marina was happy with that.

Foreign documented vessels do not have register in the US, they can try. pay the taxes and be happy ?
mcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 17:29   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Marina wants to be on my insurance !! ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon View Post
Yes that's my understanding , it works the same way with car insurance. When I park me car at the airport for a week , they don't need to be named on my insurance. Is a marina any different ?

Regards
Typhoon, I am just west of Toronto. While this is not too common in Ontario, it is happening more and more. Contractors have been asked for this for several years in some Ontario Marinas. It does not cost you anything and in no way infringes on your policy or rights. Just call your broker and get him to issue the letter.... no big deal.
Old 09-11-2013, 17:57   #48

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

My marina also wants a copy of the boat's USCG Documentation (and presumably state registration if California required state registration of documented boats).
Old 10-11-2013, 10:55   #49
mcm

An issue I did not check out is...assume the Marina is covered under your policy and you trip and fall over a dislodged dock plant, break a leg..can you sue the Marina or are you sueing yourself ?

If they drop your boat, which Ins. Co. is liable ?
mcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:01   #50
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I think "named insured" is the same thing as "additional loss payee". Meaning that if there is a claim, they have a right to be paid directly by the insurer, which guarantees to them that they won't have to worry about you taking all the insurance money and running off to Venezuela or Switzerland.

If the marina demands it as terms of contract, and your insurer can't or won't do it, then your choice is new insurer or new marina. (Or, you can always take hostages from the marina owners' families and ask them to reconsider.)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:41   #51

Boat: O'Day 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcm View Post
An issue I did not check out is...assume the Marina is covered under your policy and you trip and fall over a dislodged dock plant, break a leg..can you sue the Marina or are you sueing yourself ?

If they drop your boat, which Ins. Co. is liable ?
The marina is never liable for anything if you've signed something to that effect.

And, if you don't sign something to that effect, you don't get to use the marina.
Dos Gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2023, 20:11   #52

I'm puzzled by all folks saying "this is not a big deal" - it is a big deal!

But adding the marina as an additional insured on your boat's insurance, you basically transfers the responsibility for defense and payment of claims to the boat owner, even when the cause of the accident and responsibility for the resulting damages rests with the marina or staff.

See the link below for some more context on how the marina industry is forcing all of us Boat owners into "risk shifting" at our risk!

https://www.boatus.com/expert-advice...arina-contract
SaltyBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 06:31   #53

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Some info:
https://www.northstarinsurance.ca/faq/#sec1

Tags
insurance