Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2004, 14:16   #1

Maldives 'Deratting Certificate'

this question goes for anyone who has passed through the Maldives in the last few years.

I was checking noonsite for customs and checkin regulations and they said that they require 9 copies of the crew list (fine and dandy) and a deratting certificate (Say What?!?)

Does anyone out there know what a "Deratting Certificate" is? Because I am clueless on this term.

Andy
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2004, 09:13   #2
RPC

Deratting cert. is proof that you have had someone to check you have no rats onboard.

We cruised through the Maldives 2003, I can't remember if I had to sign that I had no rats, but I certainly did not have to have an inpection for rats, nor did I anywhere in the world on a 10 year circumnaviagtion. You do however have to sign some wierd forms sometimes. EG. No stowaways, no deaths, no plague. We did get inspected on leaving Massawa to make sure we were not helping the locals to leave. I also had to make a list of what I DID NOT HAVE onboard, as opposed to what I did! Could have taken a long time but after about 10 items the customs guy was happy.

The normal rule for yachts these days is to clear in and just follow the rules as presented on the day, they change not only often, but sometimes from yacht to yacht on the same day.
RPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2004, 21:37   #3

Southern Islands

RPC

Thanks for the info. It is good to hear it from someone who has actually been in and out of there.

Did you stay long? Were you free to cruise most islands in the northern part of the atol? Did you sail to the southern islands? I have heard that you have to get special permits for that kind of thing.

I am planning to spend one to two months there exploring and surfing. Any pertinent advice or surprising events that happened?

Thanks a bunch,
Andy
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Maldives