Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2019, 17:14   #1

Boat: Catalina 30
Lost Title

The boat I just bought from a family friend does not have the title. He is the original owner and does not ever remember having one but it has been 35 years so who knows. The boat is Documented with the USCG and I already sent the forms in to switch the documentation to me.

The boat per Rhode Island law (not sure if this is true in other states) also has to be registered with RI but you don't have to display bow numbers.

What agency do I have to contact in order to obtain a new title?

To stem off comments/concerns about legitimacy of sale or something shady by the PO not having the title. I've known these people since I've been born and trust them more than some of my biological family. So if there is other paperwork or documentation needed it will be very easy to work with them to get it.

Old 18-10-2019, 17:17   #2

Re: Lost Title

You don't need a "title", the USCG documentation is all that is needed to prove ownership.

A "title" is a state document, and is not part of the USCG documentation process.

billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2019, 17:25   #3
running down a dream

Boat: CD30 MKII cutter
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

the title is held by the USCG.

gonesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2019, 17:27   #4

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
The boat I just bought from a family friend does not have the title. He is the original owner and does not ever remember having one but it has been 35 years so who knows. The boat is Documented with the USCG and I already sent the forms in to switch the documentation to me.

The boat per Rhode Island law (not sure if this is true in other states) also has to be registered with RI but you don't have to display bow numbers.

What agency do I have to contact in order to obtain a new title?

To stem off comments/concerns about legitimacy of sale or something shady by the PO not having the title. I've known these people since I've been born and trust them more than some of my biological family. So if there is other paperwork or documentation needed it will be very easy to work with them to get it.

A documented boat does not have a title, it has a certificate of documentation from the USCG. Since you intend to keep it a documented vessel, you will not be able to get a title or hull numbers. You should have a copy of the application for a new certificate in your name. It says right on it that it serves as a temporary COD until you receive your new one. That should suffice to get you a RI registration sticker. Please don't tell us that you don't have a copy of the application.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2019, 17:38   #5

Boat: Catalina 30

Thank you all. I did not realize that the documentation actually replaced the title and yes I do have a copy of the application.
Old 18-10-2019, 17:49   #6

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Looks like you are all set.

All most states want is sales tax paid, annual water use fee paid if applicable. I Michigan we get a state number assigned but if documented, you may not display it.

Pleasant sailing.

Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lost