Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2012, 10:49   #1
Marine Service Provider

Log Book

Up until this point, it's pretty much just been chicken scratch on a piece of paper, or a few rough notes in Outlook. Now that I'm about to start, though, I really need suggestions for a good "real" logbook for a UPV, preferably with a passenger manifest integrated.

I was actually throwing around the idea of using Wordpress. That way it's integrated with my site, I'm not using paper, and it's stored off the boat, with tape backups. If I went that route, I could even post photos of the signed waivers right in the log, and just give the original to the customer, and save even more storage space aboard. Speaking of which...how long do you generally keep the copies of your signer passenger waivers?

I could really use a good template to start with, whether it's a source where I can buy one, software, online based, or even just a Word, Excel template.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 13:38   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Log Book

My template is on my web site as a PDF. (I have a printed copy on board)Log Book - if its any use, I could send an editable version.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 14:02   #3
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Certainly not on the boat! If we cant be arsed walking back to van, then they go on other boat, if it's staying in marinara, then at end of day to office in customer record. I think you still need to retian original copy of LRs in case of future legal action, and there is no need to give customer a copy.

Digital copies are handy to have on hand though for easy reference. As for the log book, isn't the gps enough nowadays?
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 20:13   #4

I was thinking the other day as I was browsing apps that they should have a navigation log app. It would be quite simple to integrate data into the phone and store locally. Is this something that people would use rather than a paper log?
bblaisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 20:16   #5

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Might be handy, but there are times when a bound paper log book should be kept as it might be necessary to present it as a legal document.
Old 08-03-2012, 21:03   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Might be handy, but there are times when a bound paper log book should be kept as it might be necessary to present it as a legal document.
True, but just print the digital and you have an instant paper log.
Old 08-03-2012, 21:32   #7

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Just my old fashion Ideas, But a Proper Ships Log is nessary to my well being!! I have had two USCG Hearings in my career, both dealing with attempted life saving from powerless vessels, and Both times My Proper Log keeping, was accepted by the hearing officers. Once I had to tow the coasty 44 fter back to harbor because he ramed my 90 ft vessel trying to hook to the fishing vessel I had been towing! ( never thought they would listen on that one LOL) But because the Log was up to date and time ect they found In my favor both times !! Just My 2 cents ! Im not saying the puter wont work, but paper has always worked for me !
Old 08-03-2012, 21:58   #8

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Paper work records and Photos are considered great evidence in court.

Personal experience not in marine field.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 22:52   #9

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

A proper log book as a legal document should be bound and not have easily removed or added pages.
Old 09-03-2012, 00:19   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
A proper log book as a legal document should be bound and not have easily removed or added pages.
Also if it is to be used as a legal document all corrections have to be visible, meaning you cannot simply erase the previous entry completely, it still has to be readable...

The problem with a few of the electronic logs out there is they can be corrected over and over without record.
We have been using electronic logs at work for about 6 years now, no paper at all, but to get this approved for legal use meant it had to record every key stroke, you make a typo and correct it, it is recorded, you change your weather/sea state observation it is recorded etc etc, you cannot edit anything out of your first input after you have submitted it.....each time you go back to edit, it is recorded as a separate entry....

This also now means the Master (me) has to recover the hard drive before abandoning ship, no kidding, i have an official drill to do every month which outlines what i (or one of the Mates) have to do...............the drills are also recorded electronically as well.....
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 10:13   #11
Marine Service Provider

Official answer from the USCG...digital is ok, but as others have said, paper may be better, if it ever needs to be submitted as proof in court. But a good lawyer could also argue that paper could also be falsified.
Old 14-03-2012, 11:44   #12

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

I'm with bobconnie on this one... I, too, have been in court twice on boat related incidents. both times a written logbook of time, sea conditions, event descriptions, personnel experience, vessel seaworthyness, etc were crtiical to a good outcome. Particularly important if you are licensed because you are, and should be, held to a higher standard than the weekend worrior. Not had any experience using digital evidence but the maritime courts are generally made up of 'old salts' who feel much more comfortable with the written history of events. Just my personal observations... Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 15:50   #13

Boat: Morgan 41 OI

We keep a daily log at the Nav. station which in turn is transfered to a digital form for ease of record at a later date. Daily form is by the hour and includes barometer, lat lon, Time,heading, wind , depth, and comments. It is held in a binder for later revue. My Maptec system automatically does a log on the hour of lat lon , speed, heading and a variety of speed ie max , avrg. and present. This is recorded on the hard drive. I hope to never need this info exept for personal use. But you never know.I do use this info for navigation puposes and weather forcasting and just to make my day complete I take a noon shot with the sextant.
C4 King Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 16:13   #14

Boat: Liberty 458
We use a wiki for the digital log in addition to the traditional paper bpund logbook. The full version history is captured, backed up and replicated. Once we can move to a tablet we can sketch on as easily as paper then we will consider all digital.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote