Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2010, 04:48   #1

Boat: 1975 Alberg 37 Yawl
Local Boat Option (LBO) Question

My wife and I have the LBO cards/paperwork. We plan on leaving Green Turtle for Ft. Pierce in a few days. We have friends who also have the LBO cards/paperwork, but are leaving their boat in Green Turtle on the hard for the summer (at Abaco Yacht Services). They plan to ride back (as crew) on our boat back to FL. Can they legally do that? The way I read the 'rules' that a particular vessel can only have the crewmembers that are assigned to the vessel (in our case myself and my wife). It makes sense that if additional crewmembers have the LBO cards/paperwork, they could also be cleared with the vessel.... I've not found any specific info on the CBP website concerning this question. Any help out there??? Thanks.

Tom aboard S/V SHEARWATER in Green Turtle
tomj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:18   #2

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
I've had crew join me for the Bahamas-U.S. leg who were not on the boat when it left the U.S., and I've always been cleared by phone. I don't have enough experience however to comment as to whether what I've experienced is normal, or if I've just been lucky.

You can clear customs and immigration at Fort Pierce, so it seems to me even if they do not accept the LBO via phone, the worst that is likely is you will have to make a stop at the dock.

I get more concerned when hitting the places like St. Lucie and up the Okechobee where there are no on the water customs.

This page has contact numbers for Florida LBO, so you could contact them if worried.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/newsroom/...6/11082006.xml
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:45   #3

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
I've had a large number of different "Crews" when I have used the LBO. As long as they are US Citizens and have a passport and the registered "Owner/ Captain" is aboard... that seems to be all I'm asked for except occasionally the boats Customs decal number. From what I hear from others, a lot depends on where your coming from and going to.

Even with the LBO, you may still be required to physically go in.