Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2015, 11:04   #61
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: LNG Ship Safety Zone

Trimax,

It isn't just people who are scared of them. Risk evaluation isn't just the likely hook of damage it also includes the potential harm if something occurs. In New Orleans they considered putting the off load point up the river close to downtown New Orleans. Even assuming a very low likelihood of a catastrophic event occurring when you add in the loss of life and physical damage it would have been a catastrophic failure. The worst case scenario included blowing a hole through the River levee surrounding New Orleans which would have resulted in a change of course for the entire Mississippi River. Placing a million people at risk, causing trillions in damage, and possibly shutting down the largest port in the world permanently.

The risk was considered to high even assuming a very low likelihood of it happening, so they repurposed an old sulphur mine to act as the offshore connection.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 05:33   #62

Port of South Louisiana is 9th largest port in the world (not looking at busiest ports because then it drops to 13), but being in the LNG trade myself, I know that most of these ports have LNG terminals.....
Trimax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 22:17   #63
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimax View Post
Port of South Louisiana is 9th largest port in the world (not looking at busiest ports because then it drops to 13), but being in the LNG trade myself, I know that most of these ports have LNG terminals.....
Depends on how you measure it. The PON if you include the associated ports (plaqamens, South Louisiana, New Orleans, lake Charles, Baton Rouge) in aggregate are larger I believe. Since the lower River (Baton Rouge) to the pass is one long port I couldn't even tell you where the break line is between one port and the next.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety