Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2019, 09:32   #1

License/registration canada

Hi guys

So looking at getting the requisite license needed to legally operate a registered sailboat in Canada by a Canadian person and there seems to be none.

I called transport canada and the person I had, had a accent so I had issue understanding her.. but from what I heard.. if I keep it as a pleasure craft I need my PCOC.. but if I register it and pay the $250 fee choose a name etc there is no license or certificate needed until and unless we decide to charter out our boat.

This seems, just a touch weird.. so i called a couple places and it seems to be true from what i have been able to gather. But it just seems so weird, I can not seem to actually believe what I have heard an am assuming I misheard.

I went out and got my PCOC last night (quite the joke that is) regardless, because more knowledge hopefully makes me and mine safer. So if there is a different minimum course to take for playing in canadian waters?

Thanks
RR
TheRailRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:56   #2

Re: License/registration canada

It gets a bit confusing you are looking at two different kinds of certificates.
One kind is the certificate for the operator.
The other kind is a certificate for the boat itself.

If you own and operate a boat you need to have both a certificate for the boat and yourself.

As a pleasure boat certificate for the boat is minimal. Just go register it in your name anD get a no and pay the fee and tax.
To get this the boat will have to have a builders certificate or plate with it’s no.
Which shows it’s built to minimum standard and the no of people it can carry.

All boat operators over 16 and 10 hp require a minimum of the PBOC. Yep it’s a joke.
Or one of the list of approved higher certificates.

Getting your boat certified for commercial use is a lot more complex and it will have to be inspected.

There is a list of approved certificates.

Best to go into the TC office in Prince Rupert and ask to speak to the Examiner.
He will be able to explain what you need. The girl in the Office will probably know the requirements.

Trouble with TC inspectors is trying to get two of them to give you the same answer. The office in Prince Rupert, deals with a lot of small commercial vessels and fishing vessels.

There is also a course provider in Prince Rupert. He pretty much specializes in small commercial vessel courses.
Recent changes to regulations pretty much require you to take the course from an approved course provider.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:04   #3

Boat: Hullmaster 27

For an ordinary pleasure boat all you need is a PCOC (not even that if the boat is engineless), and if the boat is equipped with a radio an ROC(M) radio operators licence. The boat itself needs to be licenced or registered. The boat does not need a radio station licence if it stays in Canada, but if you go into the US technically it should.

Your insurance company however may require you to show training or experience beyond just the PCOC.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:18   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

What others have said. For recreational use a boat needs to be either registered or licensed. Registration is federally based, while licensing is provincially based. Either work, although for international travel it appears wiser to go with federal registration.

All operators of boats (that exceed certain minimum standard) must have their PCOC (Pleasure Craft Operator’s Card). It is a joke licensing system, but it is a requirement to operate a boat in Canada. It also applies to foreign vessels that operate in Canada for more than 45 days.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:43   #5

Aye thanks for the clarifications guys.

Makes a fair bit more sense now lol. Makes more sense how I got everything confused between personal licenses and certificates and the boats license and Registration.

Having passed pleasure craft operators certificate yesterday, I'll see if i can do the radio one online next in my other thread I have some good recommendations of places to get er done so off I go.

Thanks again
RR
TheRailRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:53   #6

Boat: Hunter 386

I get that most experienced (or even experienced) people tend to think the PCOC is a joke, but given that any idiot could operate pretty much any boat before it was put in place I think even the bare minimum safety and navigation knowledge needed to pass is a huge improvement.

But ya, it sure seems weird you can buy a 45' power cruiser and set off in a busy harbour with little more than a easily-cheated on certificate. But you can!
Old 01-03-2019, 11:56   #7

Boat: Down East Yachts, Downeaster 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
All operators of boats (that exceed certain minimum standard) must have their PCOC (Pleasure Craft Operator’s Card). It is a joke licensing system, but it is a requirement to operate a boat in Canada. It also applies to foreign vessels that operate in Canada for more than 45 days.
Interesting. We sailed NS in 2016 and no one said anything about that when we cleared in. We even told them we could end up being there for up to 60 days. They said we were good for 180 days, if we want to stay longer than that we should contact immigration.

No one asked anything about licensing, but perhaps customs/border patrol officers don't know about those laws.

Planning on sailing to Newfoundland next year. Any idea of US State issued certificates are accepted? I may also have a USCG 50t Masters by then as well.
Downeaster 38 #40
"Downeast Yachts - More sailing per mile since 1975"
Argyle38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:06   #8

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle38 View Post
Interesting. We sailed NS in 2016 and no one said anything about that when we cleared in. We even told them we could end up being there for up to 60 days. They said we were good for 180 days, if we want to stay longer than that we should contact immigration.

No one asked anything about licensing, but perhaps customs/border patrol officers don't know about those laws.

Planning on sailing to Newfoundland next year. Any idea of US State issued certificates are accepted? I may also have a USCG 50t Masters by then as well.

from https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafet...faq-2233.htm#i

Quote:
What is acceptable proof of competency for non-residents? For non-residents, proof of competency can take one of three forms:
  1. A Pleasure Craft Operator Card;
  2. A completed boat rental safety checklist (for power-driven rental boats); or,
  3. An operator card or equivalent which meets the requirements of their state or country.
So it looks like if your state has a similar licence card, then it should be accepted.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:07   #9

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:

One of the "joke" elements of the PCOC is all the people who don't have to have one (i.e rentals etc.) and, ta-da, foreigners. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 01-03-2019, 14:23   #10

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:

You got me digging into the legislation. It looks like non-residents are required to be able to produce proof of competency after 45 days, but one of those includes "a certificate or other similar document that meets the requirements of the person’s state or country.”

So it sounds like you will be legally fine.

Quite frankly, I doubt if customs folks care about any of this stuff. I personally have never had to produce my PCOC, although I have heard of people being checked by our water cops at a times.

And in Newfoundland, it’s even less likely you’ll be bothered by officialdom. I’m currently based on the west coast of The Rock. Everyone is pretty easy going and casual up here. You’ll love it.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:35   #11

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
You got me digging into the legislation. It looks like non-residents are required to be able to produce proof of competency after 45 days, but one of those includes "a certificate or other similar document that meets the requirements of the person’s state or country.”

So it sounds like you will be legally fine.

Quite frankly, I doubt if customs folks care about any of this stuff. I personally have never had to produce my PCOC, although I have heard of people being checked by our water cops at a times.

And in Newfoundland, it’s even less likely you’ll be bothered by officialdom. I’m currently based on the west coast of The Rock. Everyone is pretty easy going and casual up here. You’ll love it.
Border or Customs do not care about the PCOC card and won't ask. They will only check if the boat paperwork.
The Police however have the authority to check.
They are the one who will ask for it.
I have been sailing for 20 years now and never been asked for it. So I don't think they would even bother asking a boat from an other country. But they can.
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Canada, license, registration