Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2020, 17:58   #76
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub
Re: Legal to padlock vessel to public landing

I agree. Used to ride a skateboard everywhere. A scooter is a huge upgrade from that though. Wouldn't let my wife ride a scooter. She'd kill herself on one.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 04:40   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Be careful with the scooters.

The small wheels make it so a little stick or pebble or hole can land you in the emergency room.

The bigger the wheels, the more safe the ride.
good point the bridge is very steep I estimate 20+MPH just rolling on whatever device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaav View Post
Takes a look at the electric ones too! Razor Power Core E100, and others out there.. very reasonable pricing. 10mph - 1 to 2 hr of riding time on a charge...

...or, more adult oriented, like Hiboy S2 or Segway Ninebot MAX, and prices keep going up with range and extras!
will check into these.
I like the idea of 2 hours electric.
how are electric mpg calculated like the 2hours max is that cruising around slow fast or mixture kindof like milage for automobile city and hi-way.

I'll still always worry about having enough to get back, what would be real cool to have a meter like helicopters have I thinks it's referred to as point of no return .PONR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
I agree. Used to ride a skateboard everywhere. A scooter is a huge upgrade from that though. Wouldn't let my wife ride a scooter. She'd kill herself on one.
I ice skated as a kid when we lived up north, not quite sure if I can totalley blame skating for ruining/weaking my ankles but it was the thing to do in madison,Wisconson

I've tryed skateboarding never really got the urge to ride it's definitely harder than it looks forme was harder than water skiing.
Old 23-05-2020, 07:41   #78
Senior Cruiser

Madison is where I grew up too. Ice skated on the lake.when we could, at the Heiden rink in Shorewood Hills and the one in Indian Hills on the other side of the golf course. Skateboarded all over Spring Harbor and Shorewood in the summers, all 2 weeks of it...
Old 23-05-2020, 09:05   #79

small world.do you have weakened ankles from skating?I grew up at fountain circle a townhouse community we used to spray the field for ice, yes I to skated at the universitys lake, catch my first fish there a kindof large crappie.
10 years ago my sister revisited the area fountain circle is now a downtown slum/ghetto.

yes eric Heiden is a skate/bike hero up there down here in college football capitol of the world it's like eric who.what's skating.

right now the red snapper season opened so everyone w/ a boat is at the ramp/launchs so the walk from the parking lot to ramp has been multiplied

to bad they don't have golf carts shuttling us back and forth. they would get good tips.

watched a few videos of miami launches they provide assitants to speed up the launch/retrieval process, (remember I'm a weekender trailered vessel) someone in miami grew a brain.
Old 23-05-2020, 09:14   #80

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

When I was travelling down the ICW in my first boat I used a three point anchoring in a small inlet/artificial bay which was surrounded by houses. I don't think there was anything they could have done to legally stop us, though we did have to speak to the owner of a nearby property to get landing access through the empty lot adjoining his house.
Old 23-05-2020, 09:46   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn_Black View Post
When I was travelling down the ICW in my first boat I used a three point anchoring in a small inlet/artificial bay which was surrounded by houses. I don't think there was anything they could have done to legally stop us, though we did have to speak to the owner of a nearby property to get landing access through the empty lot adjoining his house.
I started weekending 4 years ago mainly due to no more waterfront hotels w/ marina's in my current cruising area Ft.morgan,AL -destin FL.

one of my initial observations was same for lake and lower AL ICW dam were in someones backyard better move back a tad. down in Orange bch,AL were talking multi million $s homes.

next day the gulf was high seas so stayed in the bay.

now it makes sense why the alabama marian patrol the grey vessels was so rude to me.baldwin county has some redneck police. I was still very respectful and answered all there rudely asked ?s

what are doing here,
how long have you been here,
where is the tow vehicle
when are you leaving or is this normal questioning me, me being a AL resident?
I've been boarded only a few times over 20 some odd years never been rudely questioned like I was a crook.

I believe I was questioned gestapo stlye because some millionaire complained I was close to property about 50' away.

I now avoid being anywhere near any waterfront residences property for anchorage.
Old 23-05-2020, 11:51   #82

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Steve1 View Post
I started weekending 4 years ago mainly due to no more waterfront hotels w/ marina's in my current cruising area Ft.morgan,AL -destin FL.

one of my initial observations was same for lake and lower AL ICW dam were in someones backyard better move back a tad. down in Orange bch,AL were talking multi million $s homes.

next day the gulf was high seas so stayed in the bay.

now it makes sense why the alabama marian patrol the grey vessels was so rude to me.baldwin county has some redneck police. I was still very respectful and answered all there rudely asked ?s

what are doing here,
how long have you been here,
where is the tow vehicle
when are you leaving or is this normal questioning me, me being a AL resident?
I've been boarded only a few times over 20 some odd years never been rudely questioned like I was a crook.

I believe I was questioned gestapo stlye because some millionaire complained I was close to property about 50' away.

I now avoid being anywhere near any waterfront residences property for anchorage.
I agree. Although my experience is only on the east coast, if you want to be treated with respect, the US, especially Florida, is not the place to cruise. I do have respect for the USCG though, they do a good job, but the police/ICE are generally pretty scummy.
I also hate the fact that so few people actually walk anywhere, that I constantly got harassed by the police just for walking, or have people try solicit sex from me or my gf. And no-one knows how to drive, making walking even more dangerous.
Old 23-05-2020, 12:21   #83
Senior Cruiser

Do you mean Fountain Court off of Badger Road? That's been pretty much a ghetto for the past 25+ years, never was a great part of town even before that. I lived in the Park Village Appartments on S. Park Street just around the corner from there back in the 80's when I was in school. Cheap, but a rough area too. I think my GF and I were probably 2 out of a dozen or so white kids in the whole mega-complex. Most of my friends and family from the West side thought I was crazy to live there. They put us all into the one nicer building right off of the road that contained the office and the model apartment and with the nice old widow ladies and the quieter mature residents. Cops hardly ever got called to our building.

As you got further back from the road half the buildings were burned-out or boarded-up and it got pretty wild back there -gunshots, drug deals, pimps and hos...

Ah, Madison back in the day.

Tags
legal