Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2013, 15:59   #1

Boat: Beneteau 50
Leaving Australia

Having only sailed in and around Australia, the time has come to go International, can anyone advise on what formalities I need to go through with regard to paperwork, Customs, authorities,regulations etc. My boat is Australian Registered. Any advice welcolm.

Thanks .
Dog and Bone.
Old 19-01-2013, 16:46   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: 50ft yacht
Re: Leaving Australia

Not difficult leaving mate, go see customs and go, they'll do it all for you. Arriving elsewhere however may be a different story. Make sure you've got visa's , cruising permits , customs bond guarantee, etc etc. And if you're planning on coming back to Oz make sure you get ALL the requirements from customs and aqis [or whatever they call themselves now] especially the 4 day notice rule. If you're still in Perth checkout the Freo sailing club, they know all about it. If you're planning on heading north l wouldn't checkout of Oz untill you're past Broome or maybe Darwin, once you're out ,you're out. Hope this helps.
malukusailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 16:17   #3

Boat: Cole Pawtucket 35

Hello,

Only last night was I given a book on customs requirements for the Pacific area. A rather old book published in 1994 and written from an American perspective, but read-worthy none the less. 'Landfall Legalese' by Alan E. Spears. Has also published a book on the Caribbean and possibly others.

I'm actually looking for other books similar to this one, if anyone has any further reading suggestions.

Good luck and have a fun & safe trip.

Jens
ancor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 16:31   #4

Boat: Catalina 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by malukusailor View Post
Not difficult leaving mate, go see customs and go, they'll do it all for you. Arriving elsewhere however may be a different story. Make sure you've got visa's , cruising permits , customs bond guarantee, etc etc. And if you're planning on coming back to Oz make sure you get ALL the requirements from customs and aqis [or whatever they call themselves now] especially the 4 day notice rule. If you're still in Perth checkout the Freo sailing club, they know all about it. If you're planning on heading north l wouldn't checkout of Oz untill you're past Broome or maybe Darwin, once you're out ,you're out. Hope this helps.
Excellent advise! Also take a look at noonsite.com....lots of good info there re formalities etc.

Go well!
Amnesia II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 21:06   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day mate,

Here on the East coast the Customs folks are pretty reasonable in general. Depending on the specific port from which you wish to clear, 24 hours notice is often required. They will come down to your boat, fill in the papers and then expect you to shove off. If you have taken on fuel for the trip, save your receipt and ask for a tax rebate form. Last time we cleared we got 38 cents/litre back.

The requirements for entering foreign countries vary widely, so some research is useful*. A few other places now require advance notice of your arrival, and don't try to avoid this task. You will regret it! Some countries require a visa for each person on the boat, for some places this depends upon your nationality. Boat registration papers, passports (of course), sometimes some form of insurance (but not often as yet), and I believe that a few countries still require various inoculation certificates, but we've not had that question for years now in the SW Pacific. It will save you time if you have prepared a list of equipment on board (electronics, engine, outboards, dinghy, other high value items) complete with serial numbers. Many of the forms that are required ask for these things and it is hard to remember all that stuff. We've never been questioned about the accuracy of the list, nor had it checked on exit. The most significant thing is to be neatly dressed, show respect for the officials and for their country (and all it's inexplicable rules) and smile a lot. If you are relaxed and pleasant most likely they will be too. It can be an interesting and even enjoyable experience.

* About the research... Noonsite is often way behind the times, and the rules change without warning, even here in Oz. Some nations have websites that list requirements, but those too may not be current. Queries to consulates can be useful, but it is surprising how often their staff know little about small vessel clearance. Word of mouth around cruiser hangouts can help, as can specific requests for help on fora such as this, but honestly, it is a moving target and for small and infrequently visited places, good info is scarce.

Good luck with it, and remember that we all go through it. The first times are the hardest (or were for me) and then you kinda get the hang of it.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 09-02-2013, 21:45   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Great Advice from Jim… especially about attitude and presentation when entering.

Also the fact that requirements can and do change quickly and for often inexplicable reasons by some local civil administrator.

I found that a great way to make an introduction is to research and email your intended port of entry’s Port Captain/ Immigration/Customs Department asking for entry advice and confirmation as a first time marine tourist visitor.

Tell them what you think is expected from your research and ask if you have got it right?

Replies are always friendly and appreciative that you took the time to make sure you are a responsible visitor.

I also found that you have already made a friend within the department and this is especially true with Australian officers when visiting Oz.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 22:09   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Great Advice from Jim… especially about attitude and presentation when entering.

Also the fact that requirements can and do change quickly and for often inexplicable reasons by some local civil administrator.

I found that a great way to make an introduction is to research and email your intended port of entry’s Port Captain/ Immigration/Customs Department asking for entry advice and confirmation as a first time marine tourist visitor.

Tell them what you think is expected from your research and ask if you have got it right?

Replies are always friendly and appreciative that you took the time to make sure you are a responsible visitor.

I also found that you have already made a friend within the department and this is especially true with Australian officers when visiting Oz.
Great idea! Where do you find the e-mail addresses for out of the way ports?

Jim
Old 10-02-2013, 00:39   #8
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Hi Jim… with Google, it is getting easier all the time, but should not be a last minute thing.
I usually begin this research a few months ahead of departure.

I usually start by asking their consulates for Port contacts and visa applications.
Same time tourist oriented companies working out of that Port of Entry, (live-aboard dive boats or Dive shops are a good source of info) if they can give me the local department supervisor’s name and contact numbers.

Sometimes it means sending a personal Fax and you get an email back….. I have always found it worth the effort as you make good contacts before your arrival, especially in those remote places.

Well worth the few beers you buy after entry, to those who helped make it uneventful.

Started doing this in the 80's and 90's now people like Sam Scott in Palua, who freely helped me in the beginning are actually facilitators for arriving yachts in all kinds of ways
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:44   #9

I second Amnesia's recommendation to visit noonsite.com. They have a very comprehensive list of requirements for entering and exiting just about anywhere. Good luck in all your travels.
haw1961 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia