Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2018, 02:27   #1

Boat: looking to buy my own 40 foot
Is the suez canal safe to sail,and new immigrants everyday to the EU

I just wanted to get a idea of how safe sailing past turkey and down the Suez Canal is into the Indian Ocean past samluia. Also with what I see on the new boat loads of people from the middle east and africa are flooding in by boat to Italy and other locations. I was wondering if the costal EU is full of these refugees and if it has cause crime to go up or people to try to rob sailors in their sleep.

Can somone tell me about leaving via the Suez Canal and the state off all these people flooding in. what has changed besides terror attacks up in Sweeden and france etc?
Old 12-03-2018, 03:02   #2

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Is the suez canal safe to sail,and new immigrants everyday to the EU

so, looks like to me, many try luck everywhere in the world outside homeland these days supported by local communities.

red sea & indian ocean passage should now be safer than ever because less people there.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:08   #3

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Well - if you are looking for adventures, you can find them in a larger area nowadays.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:37   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas1983 View Post
I just wanted to get a idea of how safe sailing past turkey and down the Suez Canal is into the Indian Ocean past samluia. Also with what I see on the new boat loads of people from the middle east and africa are flooding in by boat to Italy and other locations. I was wondering if the costal EU is full of these refugees and if it has cause crime to go up or people to try to rob sailors in their sleep.

Can somone tell me about leaving via the Suez Canal and the state off all these people flooding in. what has changed besides terror attacks up in Sweeden and france etc?
these days there is a large naval presence in all the areas you mention,a call on the satphone or gmdss will quickly bring the air cavalry if you are at sea
Old 12-03-2018, 03:50   #5

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

On average Europe is a very save place to live and cruise.
If you put the amount of people directly affected by the terror attacks into relation to the actual number of people living and traveling here, I'd argue it is perhaps one, if not the, savest area in the world to be.

Despite the very few terror attacks there are almost zero gun related incidents happening.

Yes we have refugee but most of them are well behaved.
As always, few people misbehaving, taint the overall picture unproportionatly.
Most people afraid of them have never even talked to a refugee. So it boils down to prejudice and uninformed populistic hate speech in many cases.

The refugees have usually different issues to deal with than robbing people.
All they want is to get savely into the EU.

I would be much more concerning myself with the thought of what to do if you bump into an inflatable overcrowded with starving refugees than beeing afraid that they rob you.

Still, I'd keep a save distance from the shores of Northern Africa and Syria.
Somalia is a 100% different story. Its plainly dangerous and I do think a convoy might be your best choice. Some people even sail all the way around Africa to avoid the area close to the Red Sea.
Mind you there are areas with pirates on the African West Coast as well..
Old 12-03-2018, 04:50   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Despite the very few terror attacks there are almost zero gun related incidents happening.
Yes we have refugee but most of them are well behaved.
As always, few people misbehaving, taint the overall picture unproportionatly.
Most people afraid of them have never even talked to a refugee. So it boils down to prejudice and uninformed populistic hate speech in many cases.
Seems a bit naive, sorry. In larger cities (Berlin for example) in some places and especially as a women, you certainly would (have to) adapt your behaviour a bit. Some things have changed. Uninformed or not, you feel it.

Back to OP subject. If you pass the Horn of Africa, you can imho forget about the EU/Refugee risk. There is none in comparison.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:07   #7

Well, what you say about Berlin or any other big city worldwide is so common sense that I did not even bother mentioning that.
And, I did that all my life (I am a woman).

Has very little todo with refugees.

I was referring to the OP whuch gave me the impression that he/she feels that Europe is more dangerous than other parts of the world, which is clearly not.
Btw. that holds especially true for Scandinavia.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:09   #8

Quote:
On average Europe is a very save place to live and cruise.
If you put the amount of people directly affected by the terror attacks into relation to the actual number of people living and traveling here, I'd argue it is perhaps one, if not the, savest area in the world to be.
Well, tell this to the victims and their relatives, that they are just collateral damage of a bright new future.

Quote:
Well, what you say about Berlin or any other big city worldwide is so common sense that I did not even bother mentioning that.
And, I did that all my life (I am a woman).

Has very little todo with refugees.

I was referring to the OP whuch gave me the impression that he/she feels that Europe is more dangerous than other parts of the world, which is clearly not.
Btw. that holds especially true for Scandinavia.
I guess you consider Malmö's suburbs as safe places too...
Old 12-03-2018, 05:15   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Just be aware that Yemen is a war zone fuelled by middle eastern countries with their own agendas. Most of the embassies have withdrawn from the county because it is so dangerous.

Pete
Old 12-03-2018, 05:19   #10

@catnewbee

Come on, there are rough areas in every big city in the world.
Always has been like that.

And yes I am convinced that Malmös outskirts are on average safer than the ones of Manila, Rio de Janeiro or the Bronx.
Its all about perspective.

If we listen to populistic idiots with their own crude agenda le Pen, Wilders,.... well then enjoy the (brave) new world which has been so well described by George Orwell and Aldous Huxley.
Not a world I like to live in - and exactly what the terrorists want to achieve, a fearful and unliberal western society.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:22   #11

Sure, you are right, and we are on the way to fix this. Every big city should have it's own no-go zone, right? We have to keep up in Europe with Rio, NY and Manila.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:25   #12

What a lot of nonsense.

I'm not against policing but I am against panic and total limitation of individual freedom.

If one is so fearful its better to stay at home and not get up in the morning.

Anyway that whole discussion has not a lot to anymore with the OP.

Simple statement by me is, that Europe is on average a very very safe place to be in the world.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:41   #13

Thank you for mentioning personal freedom.

Freedom of speech was the first thing that governments around Europe started to reglement with "hate speech" paragraphs to prevent reporting of incidents on social media, massive increased surveillance of the citizens with laws for storing all electronic conversations and lots of new regulations.

Don't you think, personal freedoms have been more and more tightened in the last few years since the borders were flooded by illegal migrants from Africa? I am not talking about real refugees, they are only few of our new citizens.

Christmas markets are now surveilled by machine-gun armed Police and Army forces around Europe, in Saint Tropez last autumn we were searched several times when entering the harbor pedestrian area, same in Nice, NewYear Eve celebrations are secured like riot control operations - I have not experienced such stuff before for decades in Europe. So don't tell me it is as safe as it was before.

Do you think this police forces patrol around just because of nonsense and panic? I think, France is still under martial law / state of emergency regulations by the government.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:52   #14

No. But I do not feel more unsafe by patrolling police men. Do you?

Perhaps rich Europe has a certain responsibility to help the utterly poor regions of the world.
If we do not manage this than we will never stop the flow if refugees. No matter if they flee poverty or war.
Noone flees their country, family and everything they have lighthearted and without desperation.

Well this whole discussion will lead to nothing and kills the thread of the OP.

I feel Europe is very safe when compared to the rest of the world.

You don't.

Guess we leave it like this and let the OP take its conclusions from our discussion above.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:02   #15

Just a quick question, how many perished in the past year because of violence (let it be gun+other included) in EU vs. US territory?

Media lives from panic-mongering, it won't help you to judge your chances on the street...

Tags
canal, sail