Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2014, 02:41   #1

inshore, offshore, ocean classification and insurance

hello guys,

I am relatively new in boating and I intend to buy 32 ft sailing boat in UK that has some signs of project ... I want to bring her up in order to enjoy some offshore trips and later also ocean trips

my questions is about insurance - do the insurance companies offer different insurance and have different requriments in relation to the area of sailing? I mean, for instance, if offshore life raft is reguired by the company in order to get insurence which covers the offshore area?

or do they provide just generall insurance without the dependence for some equipments?

probably both? in this case, which approach would you recommend?

thanks, tomas
arecuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:34   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473
Re: inshore, offshore, ocean classification and insurance

For an estimate on premiums, try some if the insurance company one line quotes, quick google will get you there.
Outside the norm, ocean passages, single handing for more then 24 hrs, you will need to speak to a broker. They will be more interested in your experience, crew experience, area of sailing. So for single handing off the coast of Somalia, you wont get insurance.
As for liferafts, I dont think they are bothered, after all, its the boat they are covering, not you, and besides, without a liferaft, they may think you would put a lot more effort into saving the boat and their interest.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:54   #3

thanks for your post nigel1

I think I made it up a bit - I combined (i) boat insurance that may be usefull when a boat is damaged/sank OR I cause a damage to 3rd party and (ii) personal/safety insurance in case of emergency

1) is any type of insurance mandatory either for inshore, offshore or ocean cruising?

2) I mean are there any regulations that I have to meet as a boat owner? so far I was chartering boats only ... for instance, the liferaft is mandatory in italien waters but not in croatian

3) when I call mayday, who pays the expenses for rescue? perhaps without insurance the boat owner has to pay it?
arecuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:07   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: inshore, offshore, ocean classification and insurance

You can get 3 types of insurance
3rd Party liability only.. cheapest and most popular for cheaper boats
Hull Cover... just the value of the vessel
Full Comp... Hull and all contents/accessories..
If single handing the cover extends to 200 miles offshore.. this obviously depends on your experience.. and so will the premiums.
I only use Panteaneius UK.... HO in Plymouth reasonable premiums.. quick to get someone to you and to settle..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 13:27   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

+1 for Panteaneius, they seem to know the business well, plus they have agents in many countries.
As for calling a mayday, I'm pretty sure that anywhere in the world you will be rescued free of charge if rescue is available), but your boat is a different matter.
UK and Ireland, the RNLI will attempt to save your boat if safe to do so, and at no cost.
Other countries will charge (basically this is a salvage service).If you have full comp insurance, the insurance should pay (up to the value of the boat I guess)

Best talk to a decent insurance company, the one that Boatman 61 mentioned is very good, and I am sure they will give you good advice
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 14:47   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
+1 for Panteaneius, they seem to know the business well, plus they have agents in many countries.
As for calling a mayday, I'm pretty sure that anywhere in the world you will be rescued free of charge if rescue is available), but your boat is a different matter.
UK and Ireland, the RNLI will attempt to save your boat if safe to do so, and at no cost.
Other countries will charge (basically this is a salvage service).If you have full comp insurance, the insurance should pay (up to the value of the boat I guess)

Best talk to a decent insurance company, the one that Boatman 61 mentioned is very good, and I am sure they will give you good advice
I've found panteaneius a bit pricey , but they include a large sailing area as standard. But of you want to be a bit more selective others are sometimes better.

Dave

Tags
insurance, offshore