Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2020, 11:26   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck
If You're Thinking of Selling

Sooner or later your gonna sell your boat. If the dinghy is included in the sale, for the love of God and Country, have the dinghy paperwork ready. That means title in hand. If you don't have the title, get it. Yes, you may have to jump through some hoops, but it's far better to do it now then to jump through those hoops at closing and hold up that process on your big boat because the dink paperwork is not in order. I can't tell you how many closings have been delayed because of this one little detail.

If all you have is a Bill of Sale from when you purchased the dink, then the BOS has to be notarized. If it's not notarized and you can't locate the old owner, then depending on what state you're trying to register the dink in, it can be a real PITA to get the dink registered. And no, you can't use the excuse it's a "Tender To" and not register. So, save yourself a headache and have the paperwork ready.

A public service message from your friendly broker...

Old 09-01-2020, 11:31   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: If You're Thinking of Selling

Hi Sid,
I think that might be an American thing.
Previous purchases, tender was simply part of the inventory
Never needed individual titles for tenders

Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 13:13   #3
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Hi Sid,

Yep, your probably right about that. It boggles my mind at times at how complicated it can get to do something as simple as register a rubber boat...
Old 09-01-2020, 14:01   #4

Seems to me that if the paperwork on the dink isn't ready, don't make it part of the deal.

Or make it a contingency sort of thing for $x.

Don't quash or delay an actual boat deal over it.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 14:02   #5

This is not just an American concept, it is a concept unique to each US State. Not every state titles vessels. The title would only be necessary if you happen to live in a state that titles boats. More importantly, it would only be necessary to register the vessel in a State that requires a title.

Unfortunately, the OP is taking regional specific advise and attempting to generalize to the world.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 14:34   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
This is not just an American concept, it is a concept unique to each US State. Not every state titles vessels. The title would only be necessary if you happen to live in a state that titles boats. More importantly, it would only be necessary to register the vessel in a State that requires a title.

Unfortunately, the OP is taking regional specific advise and attempting to generalize to the world.

I haven't checked every state, but pretty sure each one requires a vessel with a motor to be registered/titled. Some states even require you register the motor separately from the dinghy. The exception would be a vessel that meets USCG requirements for documentation and is documented. A dinghy, as a matter of size, doesn't meet those requirements.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:43   #7

Boat: Hunter 46

Just sold a sailboat with a dinghy and motor and was lucky enough have the dinghy bill of sale and clear title from the sate of California in my file cabinet, which I passed on to the broker. Made the sale easy in 4.5 days for offer acceptance , sea trial, survey and US Coat Guard documentation.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:46   #8

Boat: Watkins 29

In Florida, Non-motor powered vessels less than 16 feet in length do not require state registration or title. A simple Bill of Sale is all that is needed. But put an outboard motor on it, and WAM! then you have to register and title it.
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:10   #9

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid at SailAway View Post
I haven't checked every state, but pretty sure each one requires a vessel with a motor to be registered/titled. Some states even require you register the motor separately from the dinghy. The exception would be a vessel that meets USCG requirements for documentation and is documented. A dinghy, as a matter of size, doesn't meet those requirements.
Not true in Washington state. A small dinghy does not require registration, powered or not unless you are visiting a national park. Don't know why the rules are written that way, maybe a federal requirement. IIRC No registration required in Caribbean countries. My 13 Y.O. rollup dink has never been registered nor was it's predecessor for 10 years before that. Been to many countries with it and never was questioned.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:17   #10

Boat: Catalina 470

Yup, I learned that the hard way on my previous boat, went through hell getting the dink registered. For the current boat, I made sure all the paperwork was in hand at closing.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 12:31   #11

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-(Oberly build) - Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Hi Sid,
I'm American, and never ever had a dink titled.
There all 6 ft or less, no gas engines.
Does that make me a criminal? NO
Washington State https://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregist...isterboat.html

Ill pay the fine, and skip the paperwork.
If the Boat Can't sell because of the Dink?
It doesn't come with a dink then.

Or, title it yourself there are processes for that
Shouldn't ever be a PITA.
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 12:40   #12

Boat: Catalina 320

Seems a reasonable request considering some dinks can be worth 5, 10 maybe even 15 Grand.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 12:43   #13

Location: Back in Kingston for the winter. Working on boat projects.
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
Not true in Washington state. A small dinghy does not require registration, powered or not unless you are visiting a national park. Don't know why the rules are written that way, maybe a federal requirement. IIRC No registration required in Caribbean countries. My 13 Y.O. rollup dink has never been registered nor was it's predecessor for 10 years before that. Been to many countries with it and never was questioned.
Hi Stormalong,

For Washington state -
It is my experience (meaning I have been called on it by the Dept of Fish & Wildlife) that if I am fishing or setting crab pots out of my dinghy - then it needs to be registered with the state. I have come close to getting a ticket on this one - so I just register my dinghy as a matter of course when I register the sailboat as well.

Don't know about other states ...

Ron
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 12:48   #14

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeys Kitchen View Post
Hi Stormalong,

For Washington state -
It is my experience (meaning I have been called on it by the Dept of Fish & Wildlife) that if I am fishing or setting crab pots out of my dinghy - then it needs to be registered with the state. I have come close to getting a ticket on this one - so I just register my dinghy as a matter of course when I register the sailboat as well.

Don't know about other states ...

Ron
I don't do either and have never been approached by any kind of marine enforcement agency.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 12:59   #15

Boat: Bayliner 2655

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post

Oregon has no registration for anything under 16 feet. Buying there and bringing to Washington is a pain as they require anything over 12 foot to be registered

tekdiver is offline   Reply With Quote