Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2024, 19:24   #46

Boat: Oyster 66
Re: If you could establish residency anywhere....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
IMHO you have to live someplace for at least a year before you will have any concept if it is a place to move to. I have met so many people who upped and moved whole hog to some new place only to regret it, often within the first year or two.
I disagree. My experience is it takes no time at all to develop a satisfactory social circle in a new place.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2024, 07:19   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
I disagree. My experience is it takes no time at all to develop a satisfactory social circle in a new place.
I did not take it that Kettlewell meant meeting people but just not liking an area one has moved too. However, liking a place will involve people that is for sure. Not just social circles but the people in the community. Some people have a greater need to have friends than others, but if the people in an area don't mix well with one's personality, staying there will be problematic.

When we visit other countries, I want to be a traveler more than a tourist so we try to minimize time in high tourist areas, avoid staying at hotels, and try to talk to the locals. Certainly people in different countries, and areas within counties, have different cultures and one has to be comfortable with that culture or move on. It might take some time to figure out if one can adapt to the local culture.
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2024, 07:29   #48

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
I did not take it that Kettlewell meant meeting people but just not liking an area one has moved too. However, liking a place will involve people that is for sure. Not just social circles but the people in the community.
^^This^^Climate, food, travel, crime, hassles, bureaucracy, politics, transport or lack thereof, neighborhoods, boating of course, hiking, paddling, driving, arts, culture, libraries or lack thereof, Internet, etc. etc. For example, many people have this dream of retiring to warmer climates, but then find out when it is 90 degrees with 90% humidity with severe thunderstorms every afternoon things are not as rosy as they were when you took a vacation there in the middle of the winter. After spending the summer in Panama my wife said, "Never again!"
Old 10-04-2024, 06:25   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post

That characterizes you, Poiu! People who are gregarious and with an attractive personality themselves, naturally find their way socially in any situation.

But developing any kind of social circle is a real challenge for many people. People are all different. Also, many people find it harder to make friends, later in life. Really close friends, in any case, are a lot rare and a lot harder to find than pleasant drinking companions.

Now I do think it's easier for anyone to get to know socialize with other cruisers, than for people in the real world. It's a built-in common interest group where it's much easier to break the ice. Arriving in new harbors it's my frequent practice to invite some random other sailor over for a drink. Or even a stranger I run into on land. I've met a lot of fascinating people this way, and find it's one of the joys of cruising.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2024, 15:29   #50

For the last 25 years we have not really been living in any one country

Iíve worked in Malaysia, Indonesia, India, Singapore, Brunei, Hong Kong, New Zealand, France, Ireland, Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Lichtenstein, USA, U.K., Slovakia, Spain, on fly-in, fly-out contracts.

Usually of 3 months or less, but sometimes more. For those I just leave for a week and reset the clock.

My ďresidenceĒ for tax basis was Malaysia where we own a small apartment that is mostly rented out (and the main source of our 10% tax bill - foreign income isnít taxed) under a management agreement.

Iím done travelling for work and am looking at boats in Europe with a view to brining it back to the pacific. Between us we have NZ, U.K. and EU passports but the common one is NZ

I grew up in SE Asia in the 60s and 70s and am very comfortable there. Itís a good base to travel the pacific. Malaysia has excellent fuel prices, decent marine services, great healthcare, reasonable entertainment, expensive wifi and phone service, great airline links and theyíre really safe and friendly. Staff/service costs are very reasonable. Much more open than any of the other Muslim countries Iíve been to and much safer than Vietnam, Thailand, etc.

For big-city stuff Singapore is an hour away.

They make it very easy for foreigners to reside.

Depending on whether my wife wants to stay in Europe for any length of time, thatís likely going to be our permanent base
Hairybiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2024, 22:49   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairybiker View Post
. . . much safer than Vietnam, Thailand, etc.. . .

Bit of thread drift, but I will soon be spending a lot of time in these countries for my work. I'm resisting pressure of my investors to move to Bangkok so far, but at a minimum I will be spending a lot of time there, and in Vietnam.

These places are unsafe? In what regard? Street crime? I haven't felt particularly unsafe there but so far I've only been spending a week at a time so maybe I don't understand.

Someone I know who built a great business in Vietnam recently relocated from Bangkok to some place in Malaysia. Must be something about that place.

On your topic -- I strongly prefer Northern Europe myself. I just don't like the weather in the tropics, and even the massive big cities in SE Asia don't have the city culture of even smaller European cities. I love the climate in Scandinavia, the endless light in summer, the dark winter nights, the freedom to roam anywhere, the complete absence of crime or social friction (outside of a few places in Sweden with immigrant problems). But -- to each his own. Sounds like you are down with the tropics.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 21-05-2024, 00:22   #52

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Bit of thread drift, but I will soon be spending a lot of time in these countries for my work. I'm resisting pressure of my investors to move to Bangkok so far, but at a minimum I will be spending a lot of time there, and in Vietnam.

These places are unsafe? In what regard? Street crime? I haven't felt particularly unsafe there but so far I've only been spending a week at a time so maybe I don't understand.

Someone I know who built a great business in Vietnam recently relocated from Bangkok to some place in Malaysia. Must be something about that place.
What can I say? I strongly prefer cruising and living in Southeast Asia. I've done it for perhaps three decades, including doing politico-economic research and analytical work for big money-bag investors wanting to be kept up-to-date on portfolio investment environment and central banking activities in a few select economies. A trading crossroads of the world for many centuries. A cultural crossroads of ideas and languages from Persia, the Islamic world, the Indian Sub-continent, and China for just as long. Superb weather, dominated by an easy-to-understand monsoons. Little fear of chilblains, kibes, or pernio. Wonderful food, including tropical fruits. Friendly and generous people, characterised by pragmatism. Contrast that with N Europe? The availability of the Belgians, the generosity of the Netherlanders, the discretion of the Danes, the flexibility of the Swedes, the sense of humour of the Germans, the sobriety of the Irish, the warm-hearted welcoming Norwegians, the straight-forward Brits, and the talkative Finns.

I'll pick up just a few of your points, Dockhead:

* the further away from the Equator, the stronger the effects of climate change in the past year. Viet Nam is in serious problem with drought, low river flows, salt water intrusion in estuaries. Parts of Siam (ThaiLand) and Viet Nam have suffered high minimum and maximum daily temperatures. One related consequence in Siam is low quality air in Krung Thep (Bangkok) and Chiang Mai. You like PM2.5?

* economic inequality breeds crime and corruption. You've read Michel Foucault on why economies have prisons, rules and regulations to be enforced with fines (compounds), no? Extra-budgetary income from foreigners (including expats working there) is an important source of income for not a few police officers. The lucre associated with the sale of sex and drugs (including alcohol) holds a fascination for many. Browse:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Thailand

* as with most human societies, violence happens as a last resort, especially when authority diminishes and destructive anarchy rises. Weaponry is surprisingly easy to purchase in Siam. In the past months, armed groups in Myanmar have been relying on petty warfare to negotiate relations between rival groups, including to negotiate who has controls over a border crossing into Siam. Improvised explosives have been employed, with minor loss of life, in negotiations over the cultural exchange in southern Siam near the border with Malaysia (Narathiwat, in particular; see: https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand...ock-narathiwat).

* Strong governmental control can have consequences. The streets of Singapore are relatively safe and clean, it's a fine city-state, where any infraction leads to a fine. The number of cars on the roads are controlled by making sure that only the richer can be entitled to buy one (the Certificate of Entitlement). Malaysia, which divorced Singapore six decades ago, is less clean and tidy, but perhaps intellectually more interesting. Malaysia's safety and has a cost, with police officers putting their lives on the line (two Malaysian police officers gained guaranteed admission to heaven this week as martyrs; about one dozen police officers died resisting and repelling an invasion of armed force of Filipinos more than a decade ago; see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Lahad_Datu_standoff )

* in this 70 year anniversary of the battle at Dien Bien Phu and the ensuing adventure in Viet Nam by the US and its client states, I surely don't need to say more about Viet Nam. Wonderful people. Top food.
Old 21-05-2024, 01:05   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

Less safe than Malaysia doesnít mean unsafe

Petty theft, scams, burglary, etc. especially around boats. Financial scams in Vietnam, as well as organised crime and a corrupt government and police force with arcane rules in both Vietnam and Thailand

Malays are very law-abiding and as far as Asian countries go, only Singapore has a lower corruption index

Generally Malaysians wonít try and cheat you, rob you or take advantage of you

You can genuinely become friends with them whether they are Malay or Brahmaputra (Chinese/indian)

Modern banking, a civil service not completely bureaucratic and laws the same for all mean itís a safe and friendly place to live
Hairybiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2024, 09:44   #54

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
What can I say? I strongly prefer cruising and living in Southeast Asia. I've done it for perhaps three decades, including doing politico-economic research and analytical work for big money-bag investors wanting to be kept up-to-date on portfolio investment environment and central banking activities in a few select economies. A trading crossroads of the world for many centuries. A cultural crossroads of ideas and languages from Persia, the Islamic world, the Indian Sub-continent, and China for just as long. Superb weather, dominated by an easy-to-understand monsoons. Little fear of chilblains, kibes, or pernio. Wonderful food, including tropical fruits. Friendly and generous people, characterised by pragmatism. Contrast that with N Europe? The availability of the Belgians, the generosity of the Netherlanders, the discretion of the Danes, the flexibility of the Swedes, the sense of humour of the Germans, the sobriety of the Irish, the warm-hearted welcoming Norwegians, the straight-forward Brits, and the talkative Finns.

I'll pick up just a few of your points, Dockhead:

* the further away from the Equator, the stronger the effects of climate change in the past year. Viet Nam is in serious problem with drought, low river flows, salt water intrusion in estuaries. Parts of Siam (ThaiLand) and Viet Nam have suffered high minimum and maximum daily temperatures. One related consequence in Siam is low quality air in Krung Thep (Bangkok) and Chiang Mai. You like PM2.5?

* economic inequality breeds crime and corruption. You've read Michel Foucault on why economies have prisons, rules and regulations to be enforced with fines (compounds), no? Extra-budgetary income from foreigners (including expats working there) is an important source of income for not a few police officers. The lucre associated with the sale of sex and drugs (including alcohol) holds a fascination for many. Browse:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Thailand

* as with most human societies, violence happens as a last resort, especially when authority diminishes and destructive anarchy rises. Weaponry is surprisingly easy to purchase in Siam. In the past months, armed groups in Myanmar have been relying on petty warfare to negotiate relations between rival groups, including to negotiate who has controls over a border crossing into Siam. Improvised explosives have been employed, with minor loss of life, in negotiations over the cultural exchange in southern Siam near the border with Malaysia (Narathiwat, in particular; see: https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand...ock-narathiwat).

* Strong governmental control can have consequences. The streets of Singapore are relatively safe and clean, it's a fine city-state, where any infraction leads to a fine. The number of cars on the roads are controlled by making sure that only the richer can be entitled to buy one (the Certificate of Entitlement). Malaysia, which divorced Singapore six decades ago, is less clean and tidy, but perhaps intellectually more interesting. Malaysia's safety and has a cost, with police officers putting their lives on the line (two Malaysian police officers gained guaranteed admission to heaven this week as martyrs; about one dozen police officers died resisting and repelling an invasion of armed force of Filipinos more than a decade ago; see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Lahad_Datu_standoff )

* in this 70 year anniversary of the battle at Dien Bien Phu and the ensuing adventure in Viet Nam by the US and its client states, I surely don't need to say more about Viet Nam. Wonderful people. Top food.

Thread drift sometimes leads to interesting places.

Thanks for this.

Drifting further -- what concerns German humor -- when I lived there (in Munich) a million years ago, I found their humorlessness to be one of their most remarkable characteristics. I used to amuse myself by telling my German friends and acquaintances tall tales, which very slowly got taller and taller, making a bet with myself how long it would take them to figure it out. I was almost always surprised.

But that is Southern Germany. The coastal Germans of the North, who speak a different language by the way, are some of the funniest people I ever met. Completely different culture. Hard to understand, though, sometimes, although Platt has a lot in common with Dutch and English.

Concerning Vietnam -- I've really enjoyed my time there. Such interesting, communicative, friendly people. They do have rather rough business practices, however.
Walt Whitman
Old 21-05-2024, 09:44   #55

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairybiker View Post
Less safe than Malaysia doesnít mean unsafe

Petty theft, scams, burglary, etc. especially around boats. Financial scams in Vietnam, as well as organised crime and a corrupt government and police force with arcane rules in both Vietnam and Thailand

Malays are very law-abiding and as far as Asian countries go, only Singapore has a lower corruption index

Generally Malaysians wonít try and cheat you, rob you or take advantage of you

You can genuinely become friends with them whether they are Malay or Brahmaputra (Chinese/indian)

Modern banking, a civil service not completely bureaucratic and laws the same for all mean itís a safe and friendly place to live

Thanks!
Walt Whitman
Old 21-05-2024, 11:51   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
...By now we have Medicare within the USA so we now carry emergency repatriation insurance, if hospitalized they will transport you back to the hospital of your choice in the US.
Does this cover the 20% that Medicare does not? I carry a supplement just for that.
cdocsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2024, 12:28   #57

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I don't do hot, and I don't do cold. Where I am is just about right. I don't need air conditioning, and my heating bill averages less than $40/month. I can mess around on boats every day. The only places I would consider might be the highlands of Costa Rica, or a big country like Australia where I can choose hot/cold/wet/dry, all within the same borders.

I don't want to learn another language at my age, which leaves out Mexico, Costa Rica and Portugal.

Medical care won't break me under Medicare, but the quality is diminishing.

Living costs are very high where I live, but I have enough to enjoy myself, and you can't take it with you.

What may drive me out of the US is the growing political divide.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2024, 13:13   #58

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I don't do hot, and I don't do cold. Where I am is just about right. I don't need air conditioning, and my heating bill averages less than $40/month. I can mess around on boats every day. The only places I would consider might be the highlands of Costa Rica, or a big country like Australia where I can choose hot/cold/wet/dry, all within the same borders.

I don't want to learn another language at my age, which leaves out Mexico, Costa Rica and Portugal.

Medical care won't break me under Medicare, but the quality is diminishing.

Living costs are very high where I live, but I have enough to enjoy myself, and you can't take it with you.

What may drive me out of the US is the growing political divide.

The politics are so awful and depressing -- I hear you there. I haven't lived in the U.S. in 35 years and I'm pretty sure now I'll never move back. When I visit my father, he normally leaves ___ [I won't say whether it's MSNBC or Fox because it doesn't make any difference] on most of the day even though he doesn't watch it, and I never fail to be amazed and dismayed at the tone -- nonstop hectoring, jeering, mocking, aggression, not an ounce of thoughtfulness, not a gram of actual information, it's all exclusively about how awful and wrong and stupid and actually evil the other side is. It's like having a sewer discharging into your house.

Language learning is fun and really good for your brain as you age! But it's not for everyone. But Spanish is really easy, should you think more about CR.
Walt Whitman
Old 22-05-2024, 03:16   #59

We are thinking of moving overseas, not for political reason, but to "see the world" so to speak. This has been an idea for almost 25 years...

As a result, we have visited places we might establish residency, I read the "local" news, and dig deeper into the country's history. There have been some huge sea changes in some of these places and not for the better. Ireland has changed so much in a year or so and it is shocking.

What is happening in England, Scotland and Ireland is astounding. None of these countries are being run by a person who has been elected. The "leaders" are in place because the person who was elected, resigned. One of the leaders in Northern Ireland is in trouble for offenses against children.

The total suppression of news in Ireland is shocking, and frankly, they are simply telling lies to support the ruling elites. Even with the political bias of US news companies, they would have shown the video of the Garda(Irish police) kicking a man on the ground and wedged against a car. I have not seen that covered in the mainstream Irish media. The same media downplayed and hid coverage of massive street protests they don't agree with while trying to enlarge the size of small protests the media and their controllers support.

What I am seeing in these countries makes the US situation look sane. My lesson in all of this, is that while Country A might look great today, tomorrow it can have some serious problems that came out of nowhere. Serious issues that were not possible to predict. If going overseas, have an exit strategy. Or two, three, four, .....

Having a boat that can get one back to your home country seems prudent. This was something we had always considered and the pandemic drove that lesson home. The current situation is some European countries has made this even clearer.
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2024, 10:08   #60

Boat: Between Boats (sold the Tayana 37)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lift View Post
Just want to say that ironically, I'm in Montana.

I'm absolutely going to make a choice based on the benefits of that location.

For me, tax benefits = less money required to retire = more time spent with my family.

Time is the only resource that isn't renewable.
One thing to consider is that if you are a US citizen you owe taxes on global income regardless of where it is earned and regardless of where you currently reside. The US is very unusual in this case.

This changes the tax residence situation. Your goal should be simply somewhere that taxes you less than the US because you will get foreign tax credit for any taxes paid which offset your US taxes.

If taxes locally are $20k and your US taxes are $25k you would get a credit for the $20k and pay $5k in US taxes. Total taxes are $25k. If you find a tax haven with 0% income taxes then you will pay $25k in US taxes. Total taxes are $25k.

The only way out of this is to renounce US citizenship which is a huge decision with plenty of pitfalls and at a minimum you are now looking not just for a country where you can reside but where you can become a citizen in a reasonable amount of time/cost.

So taxes should not be your primary consideration.
Statistical is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc