Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2017, 10:10   #1

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Hurricane aftermath

I know there is a sticky about anchoring restrictions in Florida and if the mods want to move this there fine with me.

The biggest newspaper in Miami just ran this article. While it may well impact anchoring it also may have other implications. The Cliff Notes version is four boats washed up in the yard of a fairly expensive home in Miami/Coconut Grove. Three of the boat owners have basically said 'not my problem' and bailed. One of the owners is working to get his boat back in the water and repaired; but he is broke.

The homeowner has contacted movers who said the cost to remove the boats would be ~$US75,000; not spare change even for a multi million dollar home owner. BKH had well over 200 hundred boats sunk or thrown up on the shore and over 600 in the Keys by the latest count I have seen.

I have no idea what the total clean up cost will be but safe to say a lot of it will have to be borne by Florida and US tax payers. Given what pols in Tallahassee have done in terms of anchoring restrictions realistic speculation is that it will be even worse next session.

Not only water front homeowners but what I call expensive dock queen yacht owners have suffered damage from what lots of folks would call junk boats used as cheap apartments. Combined with tax paying landlubbers who will be stuck with the bill this constitutes a big voting block pols will be happy to take advantage of.

I would bet we will see bills introduced not just restricting anchoring but requiring insurance and license to operate a boat. Insurance is already required for autos in the state, same for a drivers license. In the past Florida has required auto inspections and that may not be out of the question for boats.

Not saying I like any of this. But just as we all take note of hurricane warnings it may be prudent to take note of hurricane aftermath warnings.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 10:48   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Hurricane aftermath

Lloyd’s and MunichRE have issued negative earnings guidance based on these storms. I think it will take a year or two before we see all the consequences, and it won’t be pretty.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 11:23   #3

Wasn’t the first hurricane, won’t be the last. Weren’t the first four boats washed up into someone else’s property and they won’t be the last.

In the past, people worked together to clear the debris and help each other out. Unfortunately, now people want the government to solve the problems in stead of working together. That generally equals higher costs for everyone and less efficiency.

It was good to read about Krupa and the property owner working together to figure out a solution. That’s how things get done.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 11:38   #4

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by leboyd View Post
Wasn’t the first hurricane, won’t be the last.

SNIP
But it was the first hurricane in a while and the number of boats has increased greatly since the last one. It was also the first real hurricane since the Florida legislature has had bills related to anchoring restrictions and more burdensome rules about boats.

The point I was trying to make is that the politics in Florida (and probably world wide) has become more contentious and pols are quick to jump on any topic they think will get them votes and money.

There are plenty of well heeled waterfront landowners who bribe, woops contribute to, pols to get what they want. Voters in general are all to happy to impose "user fees" on groups that seem to be getting more than their share of government services. Not to mention voters seeing the chance to lower the cost of government by shifting the cost of removing boats from FEMA to the boat owners.

Pols look at things like a bill that will raise fees, restrict anchoring in areas rich land owners want restricted anchoring, and avoid using tax dollars to remove boats as a win/win especially if they get more voters.

And as you point this won't be the next hurricane, something the pols will use in selling this bill of goods.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 12:49   #5

Yep, I agree with you. I was just pointing out that today, whether it's the "well heeled" or not, everyone wants the government to step in a "fix it" for them. More regulations, more taxes/user fees.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 17:27   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Guys,

This thread is basically political.

Yachties are not usually easily organized into political blocs.

Please tie in your posts to how these events affect cruising, or the thread will have to be closed.

Ann, aka JPA Cate, moderator

Tags
hurricane