Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2009, 12:47   #1

Boat: Privilege 37
Hull Identification Number (HIN)

The hull identification number (HIN) on my USCG documentation doesn't match the HIN molded into the hull. Since the boat was manufactured in France and the HIN is just a number rather than letters/numbers to designate manufacturer, I assume the HIN was changed when imported into US. Is that a normal practice when importing a boat to U.S.? If so, is there a requirement to "carve" the new HIN into the hull somewhere?
Old 23-12-2009, 12:59   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
cattales---

Our yacht was also imported, from France, in the mid-1980's and the HIN on the corner of the transom is a match for that appearing on our USCG documentation. So I wonder...

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2009, 13:51   #3

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Cattales - I've never heard of changing HINs as a result of importation. I think somebody screwed up your paperwork. Good luck.
FSMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2009, 18:22   #4

Boat: islandpacket
I thought only USA built boats could be US documented. But I could be wrong. My HIN does not match the DOC number. One is the manufacture number and one in the coast guard registration number.
Old 26-12-2009, 18:58   #5

Boat: Currently boatless
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsanta View Post
I thought only USA built boats could be US documented.
Not true--foreign built boats can be documented in the U.S. HIN on the hull should match the HIN on the Certificate of Documentation.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2009, 19:52   #6

Boat: islandpacket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsanta View Post
But I could be wrong.
Like I said.
Old 26-12-2009, 20:52   #7

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Hi Greg,

There's two numbers on your certificate of documentation. The Hull number HIN
And the Official documentation # that you get issued.
The Documentaion number you apply to the boat in a permanent location
I guess you know all that..

I would think...that they would both need to match what's on the boat

are they totally different numbers or does your boat just not have the letters in front? I'd call the Vessel Documentation Center...they are very helpful and pretty fast..these days..

Does your insurance and state registration, Bill of sale, match up to the number on the boat?
The CG will probably want some supporting information..to make the change..
Old 26-12-2009, 20:53   #8

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy
its either a mistake that should be corrected or it was intentional and the boat was stolen
dohenyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 07:26   #9

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest245 View Post
Hi Greg,

There's two numbers on your certificate of documentation. The Hull number HIN
And the Official documentation # that you get issued.
The Documentaion number you apply to the boat in a permanent location
I guess you know all that..

I would think...that they would both need to match what's on the boat

are they totally different numbers or does your boat just not have the letters in front? I'd call the Vessel Documentation Center...they are very helpful and pretty fast..these days..

Does your insurance and state registration, Bill of sale, match up to the number on the boat?
The CG will probably want some supporting information..to make the change..
The USCG documentation number is permanently attached to inside of starboard hull and that number is correct everywhere. All my documents (documentation, bill of sale, state registration insurance, etc) show a HIN beginning with "DLZ" which is a manufactureres code for "Deleware home built". The HIN embossed in the hull, however, is all numeric characters and none match the DLZ number. The previous owner bought the boat via a Deleware corporation. It appears to me that the USCG has already accepted the change to "DLZ" since they listed new HIN on documentation. I didn't know about the different numbers until the insurance company asked for a HIN rubbing during an insurance survey. I'm not sure how to fix this.
Old 27-12-2009, 07:37   #10

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
I think that Delaware is/was a popular place to register boats to avoid some form of tax or another. Your boat was built in France and is obviously not "Delaware home built".
The question is what to do about it. Since nobody has raised a fuss so far I would be tempted to ignore it. If I couldn't sleep due to worry I would find somebody expert in those types of matters (a Delaware maritime attorney perhaps) and have a consult to explore my options.
Lastly, you could walk into the appropriate USCG office and say "Help!".
That one might be best but I would find it scariest.
Old 27-12-2009, 08:05   #11

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Unless I have not been reading the thread properly, I believe Cattales' issue is getting a hull number rubbing that matches his documentation for his insurer. The insurer wants assurance that if a claim is made, the boat its paying the claim on is the boat it's insuring, no?

Documentation bearing a Delaware "Homebuilt" registration number sounds very suspicious and makes me wonder whether some prior owner did not report the boat as home built in order to avoid paying import duties or something of that nature. In any case, I would try to track down the former owner(s) to see if I could get claification of the issue as tere may be a simple explaination...or not. If not, liability may run with the boat.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 08:21   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Unless I have not been reading the thread properly, I believe Cattales' issue is getting a hull number rubbing that matches his documentation for his insurer. The insurer wants assurance that if a claim is made, the boat its paying the claim on is the boat it's insuring, no?

Documentation bearing a Delaware "Homebuilt" registration number sounds very suspicious and makes me wonder whether some prior owner did not report the boat as home built in order to avoid paying import duties or something of that nature. In any case, I would try to track down the former owner(s) to see if I could get claification of the issue as tere may be a simple explaination...or not. If not, liability may run with the boat.

FWIW...
I think this is a distinct possibility. Every vessel must have an HIN that follows a certain format. Unknown to many is the fact that there is a hidden HIN somewhere on the vessel. I suggest you contact the manufacturer to find out where this hidden HIN is.

My site is commercial so this link might get cropped however, here is a link to more HIN/MIC info.
http://www.pcmarinesurveys.com/whats...ississauga.pdf
Old 27-12-2009, 17:11   #13

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy
the use of a "homebuilt" hull number is a common method to hide the fact that the boat is stolen. The thief files for USCG or state registration using a homebulit designation as the manufacturer and then resells the boat to an unsuspecting person. If you have a USCG search done on your actual HIN you may find out it was reported stolen and you do not really own the boat. there was an article on this exact point by a California maritime lawyer David Weil in the last month or so in The Log (thelog.com). Sorry. this looks like this is your problem.
dohenyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 17:34   #14

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Wow, that sounds ominous.
Old 27-12-2009, 17:34   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
the use of a "homebuilt" hull number is a common method to hide the fact that the boat is stolen.
It's also common when you can't produce original build certificates or you just don't want to do things properly. I would agree it's a warning to be followed up.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull ID number