Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2009, 19:22   #16

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
It's also common when you can't produce original build certificates or you just don't want to do things properly. I would agree it's a warning to be followed up.
I think you're right about the improper paperwork and I don't think the boat was stolen. I know the history of the boat and the charter company that owned it in the Carribean. A company called "Boating Buddies" would find ex charter boats, purchase them for buyers in the US, modify them to meet USCG requirements and deliver them to US. If the paperwork was anything like the Rube Goldberg modifications they made to the boat I'm not surprised the paperwork is screwed up. I've been finding and fixing some unbelievably bad modifications to the boat for the last 5 yrs. Also, since new HIN was assigned in Delaware for a Delaware corporation, I suspect this was a way to avoid state sales tax. (I paid mine)

Now where do I go from here?
Old 29-12-2009, 21:52   #17

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy
the permanent fix is to get the USCG record corrected. New England Marine Documentation * Marine Title
are the people I use. no ownership interest in them. They would know how to solve the problem. Or, you could just register in a state with the correct number
dohenyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 16:31   #18

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by dohenyboy View Post
the permanent fix is to get the USCG record corrected. New England Marine Documentation * Marine Title
are the people I use. no ownership interest in them. They would know how to solve the problem. Or, you could just register in a state with the correct number
Thanks. I agree that the record needs correcting, particularly if we ever decide to sell the boat. Fortunately, the insurance company accepted my survey with the HIN number explanation and sent me a renewal policy. I was concerned that they might drop our coverage or confine us to port pending the outcome.

One of the lessons learned is all owners should carefully check actual HIN against paperwork. I had 2 surveys, used a documentation service, bought the boat thru a reputable broker, got a mortgage on the boat, and nobody noticed that I had a "homebuilt boat from Delaware" instead of a Privilege cat made in France until I discovered it 5 years later. Go figure.
Old 08-01-2010, 15:18   #19

Boat: 36' custom steel
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I think this is a distinct possibility. Every vessel must have an HIN that follows a certain format. Unknown to many is the fact that there is a hidden HIN somewhere on the vessel. I suggest you contact the manufacturer to find out where this hidden HIN is.

My site is commercial so this link might get cropped however, here is a link to more HIN/MIC info.
http://www.pcmarinesurveys.com/whats...ississauga.pdf
My built was built in the great seafaring state of Utah by a gentleman owning his own steel fabrication company.

Do you have any idea where the hidden HIN might be on my vessel? I'm curious if I really have it.
Old 08-01-2010, 17:37   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Sorry HiRacer, I can't help you. The placement of the hidden HIN is entirely at the discretion of the builder. However if she is a documented vessel you may be able to find the HIN at USCG CGMIX Port State Information Exchange Home Page or Office of Science and Technology
Old 25-02-2010, 11:38   #21

There's a great article on deciphering hull numbers at Wallace Gouk's website - HIN / MIC translatesHUllidentificationnumbermanufacturerside ntificationcode some great free information!
bluey2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull ID number