Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2016, 22:48   #16
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Re: HF transmission on ham frequencies while sailing through a foreign country

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Go to China with a pair of FRS radios you bought at WalMart, and you can be arrested and charged with espionage, simply for trying to bring a radio transmitter into the country without government permission.
Thread drift alert - but you'd be crazy to take a frs radio (which was probably built there anyway) into China, get them out there, available everywhere. It's completely unregulated, every pizza delivery boy, every building site elevator operator has a radio. Good quality robust units available for a decent price as well. And more open types like the baofeng uv5r are available everywhere as well.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 02:32   #17

Boat: Swanson 36 in Australia Bavaria 42 in Med

Ham channels....Pig troughs ?
patprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 02:56   #18

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprice View Post
Ham channels....Pig troughs ?
Quite so.....

'Marine channels'

'Ham bands'
Old 29-07-2016, 03:08   #19

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Passing through = fine

Anchored or alongside = not so fine. In many countries esp the Middle East they used to.. maybe still do...lock and seal the radio room on arrival.

Reminds me of a conversation on one of the maritime ham nets....

Kxxx ' we have just arrived in BungoBungo'

Spectrum Polis ' Its illegal, you shoudn't be transmitting, reciprocal, !!!, rant rant, squawk squawk' etc etc.... big serve....

Kxxx 'Well we haven't actually quite arrived yet...........'

Beware the spectrum polis!

However... yachts passing through the Chilean channels use home callsigns ( in fact they just use ship's name ) on marine frequencies and no one has ever complained even when using the station to pass posreps to the Armada....

I can't remember anyone ever using a callsign on marine frequency nets... anywhere.
Old 29-07-2016, 05:16   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyjoh View Post
I have both ham license and ship station license (both issued by US FCC). Am I allowed to transmit on ham frequencies from my boat while sailing through a foreign country? I kind of doubt it but not 100% sure.
1. Territorial waters of CEPT countries (most of Europe, Russia, Turkey, etc.) -- have an Extra Class license and keep a copy of this: http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Regul...A-11-221A1.pdf and your passport and you're good to go.

2. Territorial waters of the ten (so far) CITEL countries in North and South America (Argentina, Brazil, Canada, El Salvador, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Trinidad and Tobago, United States of America, Uruguay, and Venezuela) -- get an International Amateur Radio Permit through ARRL -- fill out one page form and send it (I think) $10 for a one-year permit valid in all the CITEL countries. See: IARP

3. Most other countries -- based on whatever reciprocal operating agreement exists. See: Reciprocal Permit. Many of these countries do not require a special permit.

Countries like Mexico which require a specific permit are actually fairly rare. There's certainly no problem in Europe -- have an Extra Class license and have at it -- even in Russia.

Ignore advice telling you to ignore the rules because "no one is listening." Bullocks. Hams are a friendly and helpful bunch, but most of them very much frown on unlicensed or improper operation, will refuse to talk with you, and may very well REPORT YOU to the authorities. The hobby is self-policing. Why do you need the hassle? Just follow the rules -- it's not that hard to do.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 13:27   #21

Boat: Lazy-Boy, fold out

I have both ham license and ship station license (both issued by US FCC). Am I allowed to transmit on ham frequencies from my boat while sailing through a foreign country? I kind of doubt it but not 100% sure.

Check out this URL International Operating will give you all the info you require.

Ted VA7YQQ
Comox, BC
Comix Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 13:53   #22
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

IIRC the answer is in the question:

"Am I allowed to transmit on ham frequencies [from my boat] while [sailing through] [in] a foreign country?"

Being on the boat doesn't take you out of the country, does it? Regardless of what station you are operating, you still need to be a legal operator in that venue.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, sail, sailing, transmission