Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2017, 07:13   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Help - Mexican insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
You sure don't know everything about the way things go in MX. When was the last time you checked into MX on the east coast or maybe even coming up from Bahia Del Sol on the west coast?
when was the last time you read their laws??? perhaps you need to do this.

it is a damned shame to see and read about folks flouting the laws of a nation into which they are cruising. the deliberate denial of these laws is what brought agace out the first time.
you personify the ugly american in your denial of the nations laws. because the newer laws are slowly being enforced does not mean they donot exist. you may wish to awaken and follow them.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 18:52   #17

Location: Horseshoe Cove Sausalito/Currently in La Paz,BCS,Mex.
Boat: Ron Holland 43 Semi-custom Sloop
Re: Help - Mexican ins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moontide View Post
Try Craig Chamberlain at Novamar. Offices in US and Mexico.
Second that, I have both Mex. liability and general boat ins. (though separate policies) through his agency, Novamar.
Old 15-08-2017, 19:26   #18

i, too, carry novamar.
reasonable folks with a reasonable rate. when they split from mariners a few years ago momma kept me with the novamar group.
liability insurance is mandatory in mexican marinas.
the insurance company MUST have feet in mexico, so ace, and novamar, some others are accepted.
this is part of what agace was investigating, and with which many fail to comply.
ignorance of the law is never an excuse.
cruise here, learn the laws that affect your cruising.
Old 15-08-2017, 19:58   #19

Boat: Seafarer36c

I think it's weird that the only part of MX that has this suposed hang up about insurance is near the the US west coast? I think bums from the USA have made it an issue. People sail all over the world and have insurance if needed, but if they get near you people, it's manditory.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 01:58   #20

Location: Horseshoe Cove Sausalito/Currently in La Paz,BCS,Mex.
Boat: Ron Holland 43 Semi-custom Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I think it's weird that the only part of MX that has this suposed hang up about insurance is near the the US west coast? I think bums from the USA have made it an issue. People sail all over the world and have insurance if needed, but if they get near you people, it's manditory.
Would you please be a little clearer on what your point is and of what help your statement may be to us ?
Old 16-08-2017, 09:42   #21

considering the mexican govt is attempting to universalize their practices, guy, you are dead wrong. i hope agace sets you straight soonest. i heard they are on their way to your side of mexico soon.
this has been in progress since before the agace visit to west mexico spawned by reports of faking of papers.
this is exactly what agace is seeking out. legality in mexico is dependent upon knowing the nations laws and being in compliance with those laws. .
stop preaching flouting of laws. you, guy, are currently part of the problem, unfortunately.
Old 14-10-2019, 20:19   #22
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Used to be San Francisco Bay, now PNW, soon to be the Caribbean
Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS and soon Leopard 45

It has been a while since this thread was active but I landed on this post with a similar question.

We are planning to sail down to Mexico later this year and have obtained a hull insurance by extending our Boat US insurance. Also looking at their partner (MexPro) to obtain a liability insurance. Does anyone know what the "acceptable minimum" is?

I have an option for $50k/$100k/$100k:
$50,000 Bodily Injury Liability per Person
$100,000 Bodily Injury Liability per Accident
$100,000 Property Damage Liability per Accident

Alternative is $100k/$300k/$100k.

I read some people mentioning $100k being the minimum accepted by some marinas. What is that $100k? Bodily Injury Liability per Person or Property Damage Liability per Accident?

If no strong reason otherwise, I am planning to get the $50k/$100k/$100k.
Tenedos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 07:44   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenedos View Post
It has been a while since this thread was active but I landed on this post with a similar question.

We are planning to sail down to Mexico later this year and have obtained a hull insurance by extending our Boat US insurance. Also looking at their partner (MexPro) to obtain a liability insurance. Does anyone know what the "acceptable minimum" is?

I have an option for $50k/$100k/$100k:
$50,000 Bodily Injury Liability per Person
$100,000 Bodily Injury Liability per Accident
$100,000 Property Damage Liability per Accident

Alternative is $100k/$300k/$100k.

I read some people mentioning $100k being the minimum accepted by some marinas. What is that $100k? Bodily Injury Liability per Person or Property Damage Liability per Accident?

If no strong reason otherwise, I am planning to get the $50k/$100k/$100k.
sadly boat screw err boat us is not an acceptable mexican insurance. must be with a company with feet in mexico. novamar and ace are those. boat screw us is not mexican only usa.

as for the individual asking when was last time i checked into mexico or cruised mexico-- if you do your research you will see i am currently in mexico. have been since 2011. so what is your point. are you merely being a troll???? my friends consist of port captains and other govt representatives as well as mexicans of other skills and some few gringos and a goat.
i buy insurance annually via novamar a company with feet in mexico approved for our use. it works and is not pricey. neither is ace, another mexican company.
of course you CAN buy boat screw us and see how many other policies you will need to be legal in mexico. i came here with progressive ins and was schooled in ensenada by port capt regarding the need for using a company with feet in mexico. must follow the regulations. you are not entering usa.
Old 15-10-2019, 08:38   #24
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Used to be San Francisco Bay, now PNW, soon to be the Caribbean
Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS and soon Leopard 45

Thanks @zeehag. I am not obtaining this from BoatUS, they have a partner in Mexico for liability insurances. It is insured by that partner, which is based in Mexico. My question is really on the amount.

Any suggestion between $50k/$100k/$100k or $100k/$300k/$100k?
Tenedos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 13:52   #25

i get the least i can for less money out....
Old 16-10-2019, 07:26   #26

I have received a quote from novamar yesterday for $440 per year for $100,000 and $330 for $50,000 Mex liability insurance.
Does this sound like the going rate??
Islander53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 08:50   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander53 View Post
I have received a quote from novamar yesterday for $440 per year for $100,000 and $330 for $50,000 Mex liability insurance.
Does this sound like the going rate??
i believe momma paid around 300 usd for mine...donot know if time served makes a difference with insurance companies anymore...
Old 06-11-2019, 12:38   #28

Hey there. This mightbe adeadthread but ill see if i can get some info from someone. Im in san diego aboit to hop to ensenada. I intended to buy mexican liability insuranve buuuut. Ive never in mylife had a drivers licesce wich is required to get insurance. Has any one been in the same situation and got around it???
Davidjones666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:45   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidjones666 View Post
Hey there. This mightbe adeadthread but ill see if i can get some info from someone. Im in san diego aboit to hop to ensenada. I intended to buy mexican liability insuranve buuuut. Ive never in mylife had a drivers licesce wich is required to get insurance. Has any one been in the same situation and got around it???
donot need a license to get liability ins for a boat.
if you drive a car you need a license to get insurance for a car.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:58   #30

Could you please give me a link to a insurance website that will quote me without puttin in my drivers license number? Thank you
Davidjones666 is offline   Reply With Quote