Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2020, 16:37   #1

Hello, and a USCG question

Hey all,

First off “Hi”

I have a question about earning my USCG 6 pack or better.

Been sailing all my life but never thought about certifications beyond the few courses I did as a pre 18yr old.

The USCG says sea time counts from 16yrs old and up, I should be OK based on more recent experience, I am a live aboard and make a few good trips per year.

That said I have TONS of time in my teens and early twenties, I practically lived with a sheet line in my hand, most of it was on a modified Cosine Wherry saiboat, which has a main, jib and spinnaker (which was fun but poorly sized), the boat was ofcourse not documented, but was also not state registered, but might count as a tender to my parents boat which I lived aboard

Could I count that time?
DirtyPigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 17:08   #2

Re: Hello, and a USCG question

Answers can likely be found here:

https://www.marinerslearningsystem.c...-documentation
Montanan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 17:26   #3

Thank you

However I had reviewed that FAQ prior to my post here and I didn’t see where it addressed my question at hand, I might have missed it?
Old 22-08-2020, 17:42   #4

Here is the CG reference and Q&A: https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/N...ea_service.pdf

And here is the CG checklist which gives the relevant CFR citations. https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/N...mc5_31_web.pdf

I would suggest contacting the CG's National Maritime Center with specific questions. Another alternative is to contact a local authorized maritime training/testing center, they have probably dealt with your situation.
slipaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 17:50   #5

Boat: Columbia 36

If the boat wasn't documented or registered logging the time could be difficult. You mentioned your parents boat, are either of them still living? If so have one of them sign off on CG 719S for the time on that boat. Or the executer of their estate. One of my students a few years back was in a similar situation. He wanted to document time on his parents boat but they both had passed. He was their executer so he signed off in that capacity. I didn't hear back if it worked or not, but was with a try. Actually you can call the NMC with questions like this, they're usually pretty helpful.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 17:53   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipaway View Post

Thanks,
Again I’m not seeing how this applies to the vessel in question (no documentation of state reg), and now I dare bring up the thought, not that I would, but could one not document liveaboard time?
Old 22-08-2020, 17:55   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgw View Post
If the boat wasn't documented or registered logging the time could be difficult. You mentioned your parents boat, are either of them still living? If so have one of them sign off on CG 719S for the time on that boat. Or the executer of their estate. One of my students a few years back was in a similar situation. He wanted to document time on his parents boat but they both had passed. He was their executer so he signed off in that capacity. I didn't hear back if it worked or not, but was with a try. Actually you can call the NMC with questions like this, they're usually pretty helpful.

So I can document liveaboard time?

If that’s the case I have boat loads, puns I know
Old 22-08-2020, 18:03   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyPigeon View Post
Thanks,
Again I’m not seeing how this applies to the vessel in question (no documentation of state reg), and now I dare bring up the thought, not that I would, but could one not document liveaboard time?
For the OUPV sea time must be underway time for a minimum of 4 hours so for a liveabaord time at the dock would not count.
Old 22-08-2020, 18:09   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipaway View Post
For the OUPV sea time must be underway time for a minimum of 4 hours so for a liveabaord time at the dock would not count.
That makes sense.

Any ideas on the boat in question though?
Old 22-08-2020, 18:10   #10

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

You can self certify your time but of course your tonnage will be limited to the boat you self certify on. In this case, oupv may be all they are willing to give.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 18:10   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I had the same issue. Dad was a professional waterman, a clammer as they were known. And I spent some summers doing the same, 10 hours a day, 5 days a week, 10 weeks a year. As a minimum. There were also summer jobs on commercial boats here and there. My understanding is that if you are anchored or moored the time does not count. However if you are fishing, even at anchor, the the time does count.

Alas Dad has long passed and NJ had all their older registration records burn up in a fire, so without the Owners certification or even a registration number I could not use those hours.

I did have significant time on our sailboats; I owned one, the Wife owned the other. So I could self certify all that time as the Master. And it was good time, I was doing a lot of longer trips. One experience chap told me I had more actual sea time than most pilots, which kind of shocked me but may have been true. They pound out the same route day in day out for years. I was traveling with lots of open water and new anchorages.

As far as I know they simply accepted my statements as fact. They did no checking at all. I had my logs for both boats but no one asked for them.

Anyway, good luck.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 18:15   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
You can self certify your time but of course your tonnage will be limited to the boat you self certify on. In this case, oupv may be all they are willing to give.
All OUPV licenses are issued for 100 tons or less. They do not specify tonnage for OUPV as they do for Master's credentials.
Old 22-08-2020, 18:25   #13

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I had the same issue. Dad was a professional waterman, a clammer as they were known. And I spent some summers doing the same, 10 hours a day, 5 days a week, 10 weeks a year. As a minimum. There were also summer jobs on commercial boats here and there. My understanding is that if you are anchored or moored the time does not count. However if you are fishing, even at anchor, the the time does count.

Alas Dad has long passed and NJ had all their older registration records burn up in a fire, so without the Owners certification or even a registration number I could not use those hours.

I did have significant time on our sailboats; I owned one, the Wife owned the other. So I could self certify all that time as the Master. And it was good time, I was doing a lot of longer trips. One experience chap told me I had more actual sea time than most pilots, which kind of shocked me but may have been true. They pound out the same route day in day out for years. I was traveling with lots of open water and new anchorages.

As far as I know they simply accepted my statements as fact. They did no checking at all. I had my logs for both boats but no one asked for them.

Anyway, good luck.
If the time you submit looks reasonable, they usually accept it without question. Tell them you did your 720 days in two calendar years, they're gonna want to see proof.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 20:56   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgw View Post
If the time you submit looks reasonable, they usually accept it without question. Tell them you did your 720 days in two calendar years, they're gonna want to see proof.
Understood sir

I have no doubt with my abilities or the time I have on the water, this is just a matter of their registration and other bureaucratic issues.

Should I just forget my time on that boat? Lol, it would probably count for a 6 pack at least in its own right
Old 23-08-2020, 10:02   #15

You mention tons of time with a sheet in your hand. Remember only time on a sailboat with auxiliary count towards sea time. To self certify you must show proof of registration or documentation for the vessel.
SailSonoma is offline   Reply With Quote