Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2015, 06:39   #1

Boat: ELITE 364
Handgun onboard on ICW

I'm preparing to head to Florida this winter from the Chesapeake Bay. I'm considering carrying a handgun on board. Can anyone give advice on things to consider to avoid breaking any state laws?
LewinDE is offline   Reply
Old 22-09-2015, 07:05   #2

Boat: Bristol 41.1
Re: Handgun onboard on ICW

Leave your weapon at home. The ICW is a safe route (at least from crime), and the hassle of a handgun simply not worth the effort.
redsky49 is offline   Reply
Old 22-09-2015, 07:46   #3

Boat: Hunter 50 CC

Since each State has their own gun laws I would recommend looking at sites that list the laws for each state like: https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws.aspx, 2015 Traveler's Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States, or Handgunlaw.us.

If you are leaving from Virginia and you have a Virginia concealed weapons permit all of the states except Georgia along your route have reciprocity. It appears that Georgia permits you to pass through their state with fire arms in your vehicle (may include boats) but you would not be permitted to carry it when you go ashore.

The above listed site should provide more than enough information and contact numbers for you to ensure that you can exercise your Constitutional rights without violating any State restrictions / infringements of said rights.

To those who say that you only need to carry a fire arm into unsafe areas, I say why would you go to an area where you believed that you would need to use your fire arms? Bad things happen in safe places. Be prepared.

Lucky Larry
Lucky Larry is offline   Reply
Old 22-09-2015, 08:12   #4

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Don't get concealed carry rules confused with simply having a gun on-board, big difference!

Take a look at:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_la...tates_by_state

States that required all firearms to be registered may be a problem.

I would stay away from Washington DC as their current ban on handguns seems to be tied up in court, no sense aggravating that situation.

IMO, or course!
DotDun is offline   Reply
Old 22-09-2015, 08:22   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have made this a "hot topic" Which essentially reminds people to be on their best behavior, and if a particular subject offends you, don't post in that topic.

Remember the "be nice" rule, it's one of our most important ones
a64pilot is offline   Reply
Old 23-09-2015, 03:41   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, LewinDE.

GordMay is online now   Reply
Old 23-09-2015, 07:20   #7

Thanks for bringing this up.....I have grappled with the "weapons on board" question for quite a while....and can't seem to really figure out what I think about it...looking forward to seeing how folks discuss it here...
Presslord is offline   Reply
Old 23-09-2015, 07:31   #8

There is no need for a handgun on the ICW. Just having a gun on board make you less safe.
ron.stubbs is offline   Reply
Old 23-09-2015, 07:43   #9

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presslord View Post
Thanks for bringing this up.....I have grappled with the "weapons on board" question for quite a while....and can't seem to really figure out what I think about it...looking forward to seeing how folks discuss it here...
This subject has been beat to death (or shot to death if you prefer lol).
Do a custom google search for "weapons" and you will find more opinions than you would have thought possible.
Old 23-09-2015, 07:50   #10

Boat: Shannon 43 ketch

There are really two questions you'll need to address. First, what are the state laws for having weapons aboard your vessel while transiting? Second, what are the laws if you carry when you go ashore? Generally, it is easier to do the first than the second. All of these questions, state by state, can be answered by spending an hour or two reading on the internet. We usually feel uncomfortable if we don't have a way to defend ourselves, but others legitimately have the opposing sentiment.
YellowcakeMan is offline   Reply
Old 23-09-2015, 07:54   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Hi Ron, How does having a handgun onboard make you less safe, as long it is handled and stored safely? Unless someone specifically mentions having a weapon onboard how shall anyone else know?
I agree that if everyone were honest and there was no malicious intent (ever) then the statement would be correct. What none of us know is how likely it is that we become a victim. Even the Queen of England had an intruder in her bedroom a number of years ago. Who would have predicted that?
There is no right response to this issue ....... each must do what they believe is correct whilst ensuring they stay on the correct side of legislation. I personally would not criticise someone for carrying a gun and would not criticise them for not carrying one either.
Most likely the best possible advise is identification of legislation to enable compliance.
Best regards and safe sailing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron.stubbs View Post
There is no need for a handgun on the ICW. Just having a gun on board make you less safe.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply
Old 23-09-2015, 07:57   #12

Boat: MacGregor 26X

You should be fine. Two sets of laws covering this. One is the whole safe passage law which basically states if you are travelling between two points where you can legally possess said firearms you can legally transport them. It is best to carry them unloaded and secured.
The other laws which might cover this is a boat is sometimes a home and as such would be covered not as a vehicle but a dwelling.
In reality it all depends on if the LEO who finds it decides to leave you be or be an ass. People are arrested and charged with imaginary crimes quite often, other times the police simply warn a person or just look the other way.
Whether you decide to carry a gun on your boat is your personal decision, do not let others tell you how to run your life. You and you alone should make that choice.

I quite freqently carry a gun on my boat including entry into foreign countries. I also abide by all pertinent laws in doings so.
MidwestRefugee is offline   Reply
Old 23-09-2015, 08:06   #13

Boat: 1974 Cal Cruising 35

Why? Unless you are walking dark alleys with $100 bills hanging out of your pockets cruising in the US is probably safer than sitting in the marina.
msrcal36 is offline   Reply
Old 23-09-2015, 08:16   #14

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Fl gun laws are rather permissive. Simply having one in your home or vehicle is ok for almost anyone not a convicted felon. Taking your gun ashore is another matter. Check the carry laws yourself before attempting that one. There may be local laws in addition to state law.

As for the safety issue, I've lived in Florida a long time including some marginal neighborhoods where being armed was not unusual. Do not confuse that with cruising the ICW which is a real safe neighborhood. I very much doubt you will even see a gator to shoot (beware poaching laws) much less a thug.
Dave22q is offline   Reply
Old 23-09-2015, 08:18   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewinDE View Post
Can anyone give advice on things to consider to avoid breaking any state laws?
This was the question, if we can't stick to this question, don't post
a64pilot is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
icw