Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 15:36   #1

Boat: 49' Wellington Cutter
Georgia and South Carolina

How long can you keep a boat in either Georgia or South Carolina if the boat is a US documented vessel and hails out of Detroit? My boat is presently located in Florida with a cruising permit through March and with the purchase of an extension another three months after that. Does anyone know what the rules are in Georgia and South Carolina? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom
Tom Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 18:03   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Not sure I completely understand the question. You can leave your boat in FL, GA or SC as long as you like (I am assuming you are a US citizen or resident?). There might be some tax or registration issues to deal with or, in the case of GA, last I heard, full time live aboards are not allowed.

So are you asking in the context of taxes or other possible financial liabilities?

Skip
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:55   #3
Marine Service Provider

Generally speaking, you can stay in each state for 60 days before you will have to register your documented vessel there . You can move your boat to another state to restart the clock and return later.
xsboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:03   #4

Boat: 49' Wellington Cutter
Georgia, South Carolina

I think my first message on this topic was a bit confusing. I'm going to be moving my boat from Jacksonville Fl. to the Great lakes. I originally was going to just head up the coat outside toward NY. My wife would like to take the scenic route which means we would have to leave the boat along the way and commute back to Detroit for work. My question is what kind of cruising fees are there in Georgia and South Carolina and how long can you keep your boat in those waters if you're not a resident of the state. My boat is a US documented vesssel with a hailing port of Detroit. In Fl. I purchassed a 3 month cruising permit with an option to purchase an extension and wondered if Georgia and South Carolina are similar?

Thanks,

Tom
Tom Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:07   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Cruise as long as you like. No problem, no fees. Don't know what you're talking about as far as a 3 month cruising permit for FL. Never had to pay anything and I'm still here in FL right now.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:11   #6

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues
I've been parking my boat at different spots along the way in the ICW as I fly back and forth to go work in Maryland. Haven't been told by anyone that there's any limits on how long I can stay. Some states, such as Maryland, require you to pay tax if the boat is in state waters over certain periods of time, but usually they are like 90 days to six months, I think.

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:16   #7

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Sounds like you bought the boat in Florida, and if so the Florida deal is only giving you time to get the boat out of state without paying their sales tax {sails tax :-)}. There are no cruising fees in the US for US registered or documented boat.

Otherwise, did you rent a slip for 3 months, or a mooring, etc?

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:21   #8

Boat: Finnsailer 38
You do have to watch out for the property tax collector in South Carolina. I'm not sure what the current time limit is for staying in the state before tax is due, but it is probably around 90 days. Watch out, because it is a hefty property tax. Not sure about Georgia.
Kettlewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:18   #9

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Here's an article on the tax situation in SC. Sounds like some counties give you 180 days before the property tax kicks in. Large yachts flee big tax bills | The Post and Courier, Charleston SC - News, Sports, Entertainment
Kettlewell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgia