Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2015, 12:07   #1

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lavezzi 40
Flying into St Maarten without return flight ticket...

My wife and I are flying from SFO to St Maarten the 19th of this month to pick up for delivery back to the US the boat which we have just purchased in St Martin. Crew is flying from Seattle. I was concerned that the airlines would not let us board without proof of return or ongoing tickets from SXM as that is a St Maarten immigration requirement.

I was planning bringing a copy of the Bill of Sale and sending my crew a letter stating that she would be sailing out as crew, but the person that answered a call to American Airlines customer service flatly states that without ongoing transportation, or a waiver from St Maarten immigration, they will not let us board. I have sent a letter to St Maarten immigration asking for a statement (no one answers the listed phone), but do not have high hopes for quick bureaucracy, even Dutch bureaucracy.

Has anyone else had any experience with convincing airlines to let you board an international flight without return tickets?

For what it's worth, last month I was turned away from the same AA counter in SFO for having a passport that would expire in 2 1/2 months, even though my return flight to the US would be in five days. St Maarten does not require that the passport be valid beyond the duration of the stay - that's an airline policy. Fortunately, I was able to get a rush passport renewal and fly the next day.
Grateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:58   #2

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Re: Flying into St Maarten without return flight ticket...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful View Post
My wife and I are flying from SFO to St Maarten the 19th of this month to pick up for delivery back to the US the boat which we have just purchased in St Martin. Crew is flying from Seattle. I was concerned that the airlines would not let us board without proof of return or ongoing tickets from SXM as that is a St Maarten immigration requirement.

I was planning bringing a copy of the Bill of Sale and sending my crew a letter stating that she would be sailing out as crew, but the person that answered a call to American Airlines customer service flatly states that without ongoing transportation, or a waiver from St Maarten immigration, they will not let us board. I have sent a letter to St Maarten immigration asking for a statement (no one answers the listed phone), but do not have high hopes for quick bureaucracy, even Dutch bureaucracy.

Has anyone else had any experience with convincing airlines to let you board an international flight without return tickets?

For what it's worth, last month I was turned away from the same AA counter in SFO for having a passport that would expire in 2 1/2 months, even though my return flight to the US would be in five days. St Maarten does not require that the passport be valid beyond the duration of the stay - that's an airline policy. Fortunately, I was able to get a rush passport renewal and fly the next day.
Last time I flew to Panama to board a boat I had a letter from the owner that did the job with the airline.

You rightly understood that one thing are the rules of the destination country and another thing is the whim of the airline employee at origin. You can do all the research you want on both.. ..but why spend time on that if you can buy cheap tickets with free cancellation within 24 hours from expedia.com and cheaptickets.com?
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 13:01   #3

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Call American back until you find the right customer service person, or fly another airline.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 16:40   #4

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
...buy cheap tickets with free cancellation within 24 hours from expedia.com and cheaptickets.com?
That's a good last resort. I suppose I could just make the Expedia reservation that morning and cancel as soon as I have my boarding passes...
Grateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 21:36   #5

Boat: Lagoon 450

This last March we flew to St Maarten from Seattle to sail our boat back to the BVI. When asked we simply said we were picking up our boat. Same thing happened when my daughter and her boyfriend flew to St Maarten to meet us in December and again we sailed to BVI. They had no problems either? We did not have round trip tickets either time.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Catopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 22:49   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Flying into St Maarten without return flight ticket...

I've flown in on a one way several times.. only thing that seemed to bother them was my not having an address for my stay. So the lady at immigration booked me into her cousins guest house/bar in Phillipsburg..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 02:50   #7

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

Neither I nor my crew have had a problem with one way flights to SXM. They usually ask which side of the island the boat is on, and the boat's name.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:15   #8

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader

I noticed a sign recently in a Customs and Border Patrol office when I was checking in that stated that all international travel requires that your passport have six months before expiration.
The airline should have explained that to you.
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:37   #9

Boat: S&S 42

Create a letter to yourself and anyone else needing one for an airline.
I'll lookup language I've use and will post it here in a few hours.

When filling out the customs/immigration landing card for SXM they'll ask where you are staying.
Indicate s/y "Boat Name" at Marina Port Louus in Marigot on the French side. The airport is on the Dutch side and if they know you're going to the French side, they will not ask for papers or letters (at least I've never been asked).
For AA you could always buy a fully refundable ticket from SXM to SJU then cancel it.
Courtland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:16   #10

Boat: Hans Christian 4750

Check the price on your tickets. Often roundtrip fare is as cheap or cheaper than a one-way (or at least they're close). Buy a roundtrip and use the outbound leg. If you buy refundable, you may even be able to get future credit for the unused leg (but that's airline policy and changes by the day).
ztsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:22   #11

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

This may be way too complicated but I have done it many times. Fly to St. Thomas. Take fast ferry to Tortola then shuttle to St. Martin. Maybe things have changed since I have been there last.
Also sometimes you need to call Carib phones over and over until they answer.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:10   #12

Boat: 1983 Pan Oceanic 38

add a leg from St Maarten to U.S.V.I. where you would spend one day in St Maarten then fly out the next morning. Doing this you show on paper that you do not need a return ticket. When in St Maarten call and cxl that last leg.
oregoncycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 17:32   #13

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I had the same issues when I travelled to Spain for an atlantic crossing...no return ticket. I read the same requirements regarding documentation.

I had a letter from the boat owner/skipper with all the boat info and my designation as crew.

No one ever asked. I was ready to answer all questions. But customs, airlines, no one, ever asked a single question. They just stamped my passport.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 18:08   #14

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful View Post

SMX has some bureaucratic officials unfortunately. I was whisked off to gaol for flying in and sailing out. Chief of police apologized and the officious female at airport immigration lost her job due to support I received from police, marina that stored my boat and the sailing community.
I spent a lot of time in SMX and eventually saved hassles and money by informing airport personnel on arrival that I was going to the French side. French are much more laid back than the Dutch that have a noticeable chip on their shoulder since gaining more autonomy from the Netherlands. Like to exercise authority.
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 19:08   #15

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

The SXM people are not the problem. Its the airline that wont let you leave....
Just have a Plan B in your mind, some crew have used the 24 hour cancellation route.