Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2014, 08:29   #16

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: Florida Taxes for 48 Day Stay

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post

Capt Bill has accurate information. As long as you can show minimum of 6 months ownership and use outside of Florida since you purchased the boat and before the boat ever entered FL waters you should be exempt from the state sales and use tax.

One possible exception, if you were in some way considered a FL resident when you purchased the boat; IE FL drivers license, FL tag on a car, FL voter, registration card then you might be liable. If you are any of those then you could need additional proof that the boat was purchased for use out of the state and not just kept out of the state temporarily to avoid the sales tax.
When I queried on this, they will go back 5 years on FL residents to collect sales tax. Non-FL residents is 6 months, as stated.

My query was about a new dinghy, <10' and purchased out of state without a motor and didn't pay sales tax to the vendor. By itself, it doesn't required registration. Put a motor on it and it does require registration. I asked how long I would have to row in order to save sales tax. The answer was 5 years. I paid the sales tax.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 12:59   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
When I queried on this, they will go back 5 years on FL residents to collect sales tax. Non-FL residents is 6 months, as stated.

My query was about a new dinghy, <10' and purchased out of state without a motor and didn't pay sales tax to the vendor. By itself, it doesn't required registration. Put a motor on it and it does require registration. I asked how long I would have to row in order to save sales tax. The answer was 5 years. I paid the sales tax.
Have not looked into this specific situation but my case is a little different. I have dual residence FL and RI. and researched my boat carefully. This is what I was told by the head guy in the tax office in Tallahassee about 5 years back. Of course the situation may have changed but at that time:

If you buy a boat out of state, legally own, register and use the boat out of state and do so legitimately, IE not just as a dodge to avoid the sales tax, for a minimum of 6 months then you would not owe sales tax on the boat in FL. No idea how one would determine legitimate use of the boat out of state vs tax dodge use but that was the ruling.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 15:06   #18

Boat: 1973 Morgan 41 OI / 22' Macgregor

Jeff: did you intend on staying in Florida or were you just there for the winter? Also, where were you when ticketed?

No, we had a health problem with one of my boy's. Coastal cruising and stayed to long in the same marina. Cocoa, Brevard Co. water patrol
jeff gillette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 15:11   #19

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
How much was the ticket
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 15:23   #20

Boat: 1973 Morgan 41 OI / 22' Macgregor

As I remember $27.00 and online payable. This was three years ago, but a lot less trouble than trying to pay a tax in FL.
jeff gillette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 15:26   #21
mmr

Boat: Westerly Sealord 38.5

I called the Florida tax office (the number on this flyer http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/forms/current/gt800005.pdf) and explained my situation to them. I was basically told that the state of Florida understands that it is a major corridor for boaters headed north and south. I was not told that I had to get my boat registered with a state but I also wasn't given a specific amount of time that I could remain in Florida without running into trouble with regulations. It was my impression that they are not trying to go after transients.

So, after my talk with them I will wait to get state registered until I get back to RI, and I will post back after we return and tell you if we got fined/taxed/sent to a Ukrainian gulag (too soon?).
mmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 16:14   #22

Boat: Finnsailor Motorsailor 35

[QUOTE=mmr;1523314]The wife and I were planning on sailing to New Zealand but only made it to the DR. She still wants to go to NZ so we are cheating and going to fly

A STATE CAN NOT REQUIRE A USCG-DOCUMENTED BOAT TO BE TITLED OR ISSUE IT A STATE REGISTRATION NUMBER OR REQUIRE SUCH A NUMBER BE DISPLAYED.

I can't help with the stay issue ( don't know what their legal happens to be) if your in a marina, boatyard, or club? You didn't mention the same. Why would they rat you out? Anyway they can demand (monies from your wallet) if you have exceeded their legal maximum number of days.

I hope someone else can help you with the stay issue vs. costs.
Cornucopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 16:22   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Have not looked into this specific situation but my case is a little different. I have dual residence FL and RI. and researched my boat carefully. This is what I was told by the head guy in the tax office in Tallahassee about 5 years back. Of course the situation may have changed but at that time:

If you buy a boat out of state, legally own, register and use the boat out of state and do so legitimately, IE not just as a dodge to avoid the sales tax, for a minimum of 6 months then you would not owe sales tax on the boat in FL. No idea how one would determine legitimate use of the boat out of state vs tax dodge use but that was the ruling.
They are honored RI registration. If your planning to stay longer than Florida's maximum stay (whatever their law is?) and your not USCG documented; you will have other issues and costs. I do know people who spend the winter in Florida and summer up north show two sets of state numbers on their bows. Dodge was a good word....they are dodging you before you get over the next wave. Good post informative.
Old 27-04-2014, 16:32   #24

Quote:

I have heard similar. If the boat was purchased with a motor your OK. If you purchase the motor after you pay. I am using T/T "boatname" and stenciled USCG-document number on my inflatable raft and motor. Some states don't like this and warn if the raft is in use beyond their time frame (some 30 days, some 60 days) and some don't even care and don't bother you; then you have register the raft/motor. Yes imagine a raft. I also refer to the raft as our second LIVEBOAT because lifeboat is a legal term. But T/T "vessel name" will not work for any boat using a state title and registration. So like several persons (who are also friends) don't feel bad, beause they where extorted and forced to pay as well. Good post thanks for putting up the same.
Old 27-04-2014, 16:46   #25

Quote:

You did not mention if your a legal citizen of Florida?... If your not a legal citizen of Florida; then you can't vote in the state. In the same you can't be lived a tax without a right to vote, such is unconstitutional.

Meanwhile if you signed on the line and paid, you just made an agreement and you gave your lawful consent to be taxed. Now you will pay that for your entire life (or the relationship legally terminates) because they have legal proof ...your signature.

Bob Beal
Cornucopia
Old 27-04-2014, 19:14   #26

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
You did not mention if your a legal citizen of Florida?... If your not a legal citizen of Florida; then you can't vote in the state. In the same you can't be lived a tax without a right to vote, such is unconstitutional.

Meanwhile if you signed on the line and paid, you just made an agreement and you gave your lawful consent to be taxed. Now you will pay that for your entire life (or the relationship legally terminates) because they have legal proof ...your signature.

We need to put a wooden stake through the heart of these greedy liberal monsters seeking and eating peoples wallets...

Bob Beal
Cornucopia
There is nothing in the constitution that says a taxing jurisdiction cannot tax you without giving you the right to vote. This happens all the time. Tax collectors have been with us since civilization started and the liberals have no monopoly on wanting citzens money.

If you own two houses in different states you will be charged property tax on both but you can only vote in one. If you decide not to pay property taxes in one because you can't vote there, you'll soon find your house up for sale at a tax auction. Get over it, grow up, and move on with your life.

In an earlier post you quoted this;

A STATE CAN NOT REQUIRE A USCG-DOCUMENTED BOAT TO BE TITLED OR ISSUE IT A STATE REGISTRATION NUMBER OR REQUIRE SUCH A NUMBER BE DISPLAYED.

The state of florida will not issue a title or numbers on a federally documented boat or require that such numbers be displayed. They will charge you a state registration fee and require you to display a sticker indicating that the fee has been paid. It does not require the display of any numbers on a federally documented vessel. Notice it's called a fee, not a tax.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 19:29   #27

Boat: Mac 26X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
This is incorrect. States can, and most do, require state registration. In TX, and I believe in FL, the numbers are not required but the state sticker IS!

From : http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat..._registration/

Registration Requirements

The following vessels/boats when on Texas public water are required to have current registration, including when docked, moored, or stored:
  • All motorized boats, regardless of length;
  • All sailboats 14 feet in length or longer or any sailboat with an auxiliary engine(s); and
  • USCG Documented vessels.
Registration is valid for a two-year period.
Exempted vessels:
  • Non-motorized canoes, kayaks, punts, rowboats, or rubber rafts (regardless of length) when paddled, poled, or oared and sailboats under 14 feet in length when windblown. Adding an outboard or trolling motor to one of these types requires titling and registration.
  • An exempt vessel may have previously been titled as a motorboat. You can check whether a title has been issued for free - Query Ownership
Registration of USCG Documented Vessels

Effective January 1, 2004, vessels documented by the U.S. Coast Guard are required to have state registration.
USCG Documented Exempted Vessels:
  • Commercial tugboats;
  • Vessels exceeding 115 feet in length; and
  • Pilot or crew boats transporting freight, supplies, or personnel to or from cargo ships, freighters, or offshore oil infrastructure.
Old 27-04-2014, 19:38   #28

Sorry Capt.... you can vote in either location. I don't work on hearsay...you will need to state the specific law which backs your comment. The enforcement in Massachusetts comes from M.G.L. C.90 here you will find what can be enforced on you a boater. I appreciate your comment, but your expressing an opinion; the laws not opinions they are fact. The only way you can be taxed is if you "agree and consent" then you no longer have a legal leg to stand. If your a capt with only one leg? Then you'll on your backside. LOL Good sailing ...
Old 27-04-2014, 21:10   #29

Boat: Mac 26X

I'll just edit to say....this has been discussed SO MUCH...we should just let it be. Look at the laws for your state (and FL since they will enforce THIER laws on you)
Old 27-04-2014, 21:29   #30

[QUOTE=ElGatoGordo; The point is ElGato...your at an unfair disadvantage until you can form a boat association. Only then can you have influence on your local legislators. Otherwise you remain with "talk only" as you had mentioned. We didn't bother with visiting Texas when we hit the Gulf; we decided to head for Fort Meyer Florida, thence across the Okeechobee...and exited into the Atlantic Ocean and then headed north. Should be up in Maine by mid-May weather pending of course. The highest elevation in Florida is on the Alabama line 346 feet the rest is sandbars; bugs, insects, and the worse boaters in America. If you want to see some great sailing waters go to New England and Nova Scotia; you find the people friendly and most accommodating for boaters. Not Boston however your best with Boston is skip it and head for New Hampshire or better Portland, Maine. Florida is a transition point only and your better off staying seaward rather swat flies and steer around mud piles and sandbars. LOL

Tags
florida, taxes