Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2014, 00:47   #1

Boat: Lagoon 380 #069
Flags, registration, and licenses

We're buying out boat and I'm trying to wrap my head around some of the paperwork. Like home ports, flags, and registration.

I've formed a LLC as the holding company to limit my liabilities. The boat is Australian flagged and lying in Turkey. And afterwards it will be US flagged. We don't intend to keep it in the US so do I USCG register or Delaware register?

The plan is a circumnavigation so does the home port matter? We might stop in Fort Lauderdale to resupply and repair. If I put a FL or DE on the stern is it considered imported?

And finally the radio license. Do I have to get one from the country the boat is flagged in? I work abroad so my fixed address changes every few years or months. Can I for example have a French radio operator license and ship license on a US flagged boat?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
yardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2014, 00:53   #2
cruiser

Re: Flags, registration, and licenses

Document your vessel in Oregon. Can't get any cheaper than $0.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2014, 01:00   #3

Thanks Kenomac. By documenting in Oregon do I put that as the home port on the stern? I've read you can put any home port without the boat actually needing to be there.

Old 23-08-2014, 03:25   #4
cruiser

Pick a city and state. For example: Portland, for the city and Oregon for the state. Portland will be your hailing port. The US flag would be your country designation. Outside the US it becomes important to fly the flag.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2014, 03:30   #5

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Yardie, where are you from?
Old 23-08-2014, 04:47   #6

I'm from Miami originally. I could use that city as the home port. I'm just worried that we'd have to pay duties and sales tax even though we're only stopping by to visit and resupply.

Old 23-08-2014, 05:06   #7
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Be careful when choosing home port. That information is available to state governments, and some of them are very aggressive in going after state taxes on boats owned by individuals in that state. I think Florida is one of the aggressive ones. Oregon is not. You can pick any town, in any state. Doesn't have anything to do with where you live, necessarily. You don't have to ever been there or intend to be. It's a way to keep boat names separate. For example, How many Windsongs do you think are out there? Lots. So this way, they can all be unique because they can pick different hailing ports. Windsong, Saugerties NY vs Windsong, LaPorte CO, for example.
Old 23-08-2014, 07:25   #8

The duty is only 1.5%. I wonder if you can do this before getting to the US? It would make things easier. Florida gives a pass on taxes for boats having work done. Maybe 6 weeks.

And see this thread
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...le-131504.html
Old 23-08-2014, 08:46   #9

Here's more:
GT-800005 pdf

Boats Temporarily Docked in Florida When Florida sales or use tax has not been paid on a boat brought into Florida, the boat is not subject to Florida use tax when the boat remains in a Florida registered facility that rents dockage or slippage for a period not to exceed a total of 20 days in any calendar year. The 20- day period begins on the day the boat is docked at the facility.
If the boat enters Florida for repairs or modifications at a registered repair facility, the boat may remain in Florida tax-exempt until the repairs or modifications are completed. The 20-day period stops while the boat is being repaired or modified. Once the repairs are complete, the owner has the balance of the 20-day period to remove the boat from Florida.
Storage of a boat at a registered repair facility does not qualify for tolling of the 20-day time period.

And if you are a Fla resident or the corporation is owned by Fla people then ya gotta pay immediately. No pass or exemption.
Still got that Florida drivers license?

Tags
flags, license, registration