Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 08:44   #31

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: First anchoring violation citation issued in St. Augustine

I believe the dinghy dock rate in St. Augustine is $10 per day.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:44   #32

These towns should take the money they spend on putting in questionable at best moorings and get rid of the derelicts. They always claim they don't have the money to remove the derelicts, so where do they get the money to install the moorings?
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:55   #33

There's nothing wrong with rental moorings for those that want to use them, it's just too bad they decided to cover almost every square inch of the harbor with moorings and then passed a law outlawing anchoring in almost every remaining part of the harbor. My understanding is that most of the moorings are vacant most of the time, just sitting there blocking possible anchoring areas.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:15   #34
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

Is it true that in St. Aug they want you to dock to checkin to a mooring. I've been there twice in the last year and it wasnt the case. Just called on vhf, tied up and dinghy to dock. Pulling up to dock in mothership is pointless. I plan on stopping there in 2 weeks or so on my way north.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:25   #35

I believe part of the new regime is that they want to inspect your boat to make sure the holding tank levers are locked in the right positions and that you are displaying a current and correct state registration sticker (required in Florida, whether or not your are documented). I have read several accounts of people who did not bring their big boats into the dock and were subsequently told they had to go in to register, but I do not have first-hand experience of such. Let us know what happens when you go there.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:25   #36
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

I'll post what I find. I'm torn between agreeing that derelict boats are a issue and not wanting any more gov regulation. I've talked to and met many of the derelict crowd. Problem is most dont think their derelict, to them its a home or boat. And why should they be any different than me. My issue is that they scoff at pump out, dont have any required safety equipment, and tend to drag around in heavy weather. Then they have no way to be responsible for damages. I'm far from wealthy but have a large investment and dont want even a little scrach, even know i choose to never wash it. Unfortunatly its expensive to be on the water. I just cant stand that they want to be viewed as peers. Having a junk boat anchored in public waters is not a right. I wish the FWC could deal with the real issues. And we are not the problem.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:31   #37

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmackay View Post
It's hard to figure out where I stand on this one. As much as I am against government intrusion into our lives I still think this program is good. St. Augustine Muni marina ranks very high in both facilities and personnel. $20 a day is very little considering the great showers and you get the free use of dingy dock, pump-out, trash disposal and water. My apologies if this sounds harsh but if you haven't moved in 30 days you aren't a cruiser, you are a live-aboard. Not that that"s a bad thing but it is entirely different than someone who wants to drop the hook to say overnight or rest up for a few days. The ground tackle on most boats is not designed as a permanent mooring. As a matter of full disclosure, I have been in St. Augustine in a slip and on a mooring for the winter.

we spent 6 weeks in the rio dulce then 5 weeks in green turtle panama and of course 3 months in cartagena, then 4 months in the san blas panama - i guess we are not cruisers but liveaboards -- give me a break
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:02   #38
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
That's typical English commonlaw: The sovereign can do no wrong, and cannot be sued the way that subjects can be. Putting in a liability release only affirms existing common law. (Except, of course, St.A. is in Florida, where the commonlaw comes from SPANISH background, not English. Florida's always got special excuses, being as it wasn't originally part of the US.)
Governments are sued all the time. Done it myself. And won.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 16:38   #39

Boat: 73 pearson 35

So your municipality/city mandates me hooking to there ball..
I do not read so well and pay the fee and your cities ball breaks loose and i do damage to my boat and others.....Then it is EXPLAINED TO ME THAT THE CITY IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR MAINTENANCE ON SAID BALL.......
Lawyers are salvating at this point me thinks.Will be interesting to see what happens.Does anyone know the tonnage rating for said ball?Is there a color coding for up to 15,000?
My Thoughts
Mark
travler37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 18:11   #40

Boat: Bristol 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by travler37
So your municipality/city mandates me hooking to there ball..
I do not read so well and pay the fee and your cities ball breaks loose and i do damage to my boat and others.....Then it is EXPLAINED TO ME THAT THE CITY IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR MAINTENANCE ON SAID BALL.......
Lawyers are salvating at this point me thinks.Will be interesting to see what happens.Does anyone know the tonnage rating for said ball?Is there a color coding for up to 15,000?
My Thoughts
Mark
One of our lawyer friends can correct me if I am wrong, but... You cannot avoid liability by declaring you are not responsible for damage, etc. on such things as parking garage tickets ,etc. If the plaintiff can prove you were negligent, irrespective of your policy, you can be held liable . Hence if you can prove the city negligent in maintaining their moorings, you most likely would win your claim.

Don
dandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 18:32   #41
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
I'll post what I find. I'm torn between agreeing that derelict boats are a issue and not wanting any more gov regulation. I've talked to and met many of the derelict crowd. Problem is most dont think their derelict, to them its a home or boat. And why should they be any different than me. My issue is that they scoff at pump out, dont have any required safety equipment, and tend to drag around in heavy weather. Then they have no way to be responsible for damages. I'm far from wealthy but have a large investment and dont want even a little scrach, even know i choose to never wash it. Unfortunatly its expensive to be on the water. I just cant stand that they want to be viewed as peers. Having a junk boat anchored in public waters is not a right. I wish the FWC could deal with the real issues. And we are not the problem.

To me there's no doubt what a derelict boat is. Not every sailboat is Bristol, but a sailboat should have a stick pointing toward the sky, and if it isn't derelict, it shouldn't be covered in 4" of smelly pelican guano. It shouldn't be washing up on the beach or the rocks because the anchor rode was nearly worn through before the storm hit.

I would prefer a mooring and wouldn't mind paying for it. I think boats should be registered just as cars are. If I don't keep my car registration up to date, I'll get a ticket, and I can't see why it would be any different with my boat. If registration laws were enforced it would be easier to deal with the derelict boats.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 18:33   #42
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandrews View Post
One of our lawyer friends can correct me if I am wrong, but... You cannot avoid liability by declaring you are not responsible for damage, etc. on such things as parking garage tickets ,etc. If the plaintiff can prove you were negligent, irrespective of your policy, you can be held liable . Hence if you can prove the city negligent in maintaining their moorings, you most likely would win your claim.

Don

That's right. You can't write away responsibility.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 18:39   #43

I pulled into st augustine year before last looking for a spot to anchor The city boat was close called on vhf and warned me where I was headed was shallow I grabbed a mooring and he came over signed me up and took my money never had to go to the dock
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 18:40   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandrews View Post

Don
Yes,
If your on a ski lift and the cable breaks guess who eats it...Does not matter what it said on the ticket when you paid for it..Especially if you have bad eyes or cant read well.the first bad storm with damages will be interesting and pay well for the legal profession me thinks.
Mark
Old 14-05-2012, 18:47   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
To me there's no doubt what a derelict boat is. Not every sailboat is Bristol, but a sailboat should have a stick pointing toward the sky, and if it isn't derelict, it shouldn't be covered in 4" of smelly pelican guano. It shouldn't be washing up on the beach or the rocks because the anchor rode was nearly worn through before the storm hit.

I would prefer a mooring and wouldn't mind paying for it. I think boats should be registered just as cars are. If I don't keep my car registration up to date, I'll get a ticket, and I can't see why it would be any different with my boat. If registration laws were enforced it would be easier to deal with the derelict boats.
So more taxation/rules are your solution to the problem?Instead of enforcing the rules that are present?
Thank you and votes with my sails and leaves......
Is this attitude that enforces my sailing........and not sticking around in this country and trying to fix this mad house. ......rant stopped
Mark

Tags
anchor, anchoring