Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 14:55   #16

Boat: Privilege 37
Re: First anchoring violation citation issued in St. Augustine

Couple of exceptions. We spent more than 30 days in Georgetown, Bahamas. We were definately cruisers, just enjoyed the heck out of it, and it was a great place to wait for parts.

Second point. A freind of mines boat was moored and the the mooring broke, his boat hit a seawall and scraped and scratched the heck out of his YATCH. This cost him $100k out of pocket (told you it was a yatch).

Another friend was moored and sitting in a bar, one of his buddies tapped him on the shoulder and told him he just saw his boat drifting out of the sound! He recovered it with no damage, but he was NOT happy.

The point being, I personally trust my anchoring to any mooring feild I have seen and would be more comfortable on my own tackle.
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 15:04   #17
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Thumbs up Re: First anchoring violation citation issued in St. Augustine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strygaldwir View Post
Couple of exceptions. We spent more than 30 days in Georgetown, Bahamas. We were definately cruisers, just enjoyed the heck out of it, and it was a great place to wait for parts.

Second point. A freind of mines boat was moored and the the mooring broke, his boat hit a seawall and scraped and scratched the heck out of his YATCH. This cost him $100k out of pocket (told you it was a yatch).

Another friend was moored and sitting in a bar, one of his buddies tapped him on the shoulder and told him he just saw his boat drifting out of the sound! He recovered it with no damage, but he was NOT happy.

The point being, I personally trust my anchoring to any mooring feild I have seen and would be more comfortable on my own tackle.
+++++++1
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 15:09   #18
jzk

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterworldly View Post
..and would hate to be in a situation where a dragging or poorly operated boat hits me and the owner has no insurance. I would probably be arrested for assault or worse.
If a negligent boat drags into you, you will have a claim against the vessel in rem.

So, instead of getting arrested, just arrest the vessel that hit you.
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 15:37   #19

Boat: PETERSON 44
Anchoring while cruising is part of the experience. When I pick up a mooring it is a reconnection to managed services Anchoring us apart of the process of cruising fir me. I will puck up a mooring in cuttyhunk Considered it in block island and occasionally in Annapolis. Used the mooring dicks on the Connecticut river which was fun having never had that. Anchoring is not just a cheap way to get by it a part of the inference if cruising. That in my opinion is why anchorages should be available. I am nit on the water to be a revenue source I am here to experience something different. It's why I go to museums usually free museums. I have had harbormasters for go the mooring fee so that a boat eas on there mooring off season. Why because in it's own way it's art.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 15:37   #20
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

hey if a boat breaks loose from its' mooring or anchor, and you "catch" it, is it yours now as you salvaged it?

should we add this to the "how to make money while cruising" thread?
Old 06-04-2012, 15:42   #21

Boat: Mason 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Those of us that stay longer than 30 days are not cruisers? were slow crusers!

I anchored my boat with 2 anchores down and bused it all over Turkey for 45 days- i wonder what i am???

I guess that makes you a tourist that parked his vehicle for 45 days
jmackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 15:59   #22

Boat: Mason 43

I didn't think it was a debate of mooring vs anchoring. To say that one is better than the other ignores the positive benefits of both. I have spent months on a mooring, at anchor and in a slip. It all depends on where we are and what my wife wants.
jmackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 17:27   #23
POH

Boat: Lagoon 420, Duncanson 29, Laser

If you think these restrictions are bad, consider Sydney, Australia. The restrictions would make you cry - basically impossible to live aboard EVEN IF on one of the gov't moorings (you need to get affirmative approval from the local council/municipality for state to allow living aboard as condition of registration - imagine how easy that is).

But ... as far as slippery slope goes, in a while you'll probably start gripping about there not being any more gov't moorings. Then private moorings kick in - our situation is multi-year waitlists in many areas (HATE MOORING MINDERS!), but because of the laws against anchoring you MUST then use private moorings at $400 a month!
POH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 17:35   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Again, this is about LONGTERM boat "storage" and living aboard. If you are cruising you are free to anchor for 30 days then you need to cruise on for at least 15 days. St Augustine is not a cruise destination like Georgetown or perhaps Key West. The real problem with this law is that the city limits on the waterways are pretty small leading to boats anchoring permanently in very exposed areas "outside" the city limits.

The change to Florida laws few years back was a nice peace of mind for cruisers, but was clear to me was far to broad. Most "stored" boats are registered as antiques for $5 a year and have nil resale/salvage value when the city ends up having to pay to salvage them. Not technically derelict, but close enough. The new law requiring a trip to the city dock under own power is a great idea.

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 06-04-2012, 18:27   #25

Boat: Finnsailer 38

The Pilot Program laws are being used to prohibit anchoring, or at least discourage it. The city of St. Augustine has admitted that they plan on paying for the dredging of the marina partly with fees from the moorings. In order to get sufficient fees from the moorings they have to make anchoring onerous enough so that people are forced to use the moorings whether they want to or not. I have personally anchored in St. Augustine numerous times for days at a time, and yes it is a tricky place to anchor with strong currents, but those of us who prefer to anchor should still be allowed to do so. In addition to the 30-day limit, there are all sorts of other rules including offsets from the mooring field and almost any kind of structure that essentially ban anchoring in most of the popular and safe areas near town. In addition, as some have pointed out, you must register at the marina first in order to take a mooring, which requires proof of insurance, yet at the same time the multi-page contract negates your own insurance by saying that they are liable for nothing. Read your insurance contract and ask your agent--they usually prohibit you from signing such a contract or else you negate your own insurance. BoatUS has a good article that spells this out. I have personally witnessed the low-paid help in other harbors preparing commercial moorings to standards that I would not accept for my own boat. You have no way of knowing what is down there, what the maintenance on the mooring has been, or what unusual strain it was put under last night when a fishing trawler accidently dragged it. I prefer to trust my own anchor gear that I know well and has served me through numerous gales etc. Moorings are fine for those that wish to use them--just don't prohibit or discourage the rest of us from anchoring.
Old 06-04-2012, 18:49   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
This is a mess.
Marathon had to temporarily close 70 moorings deemed unsafe.
Think about the use of space and long term maintenance. You can pack a lot of boats into a small space in a marina. Once you build the docks, you're pretty well set for 30 years. A mooring field takes up a massive amount of space and requires a lot of routine maintenance. Watch mooring rates rise when cities keep loosing money on them.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:27   #27

So is it legal to anchor in front of the castle - between markers 6 and 6A?
And is there a pump-out boat?
When our refit is finished would like to anchor near town - but if onerous will just leave...
AllezCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:59   #28

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
So is it legal to anchor in front of the castle - between markers 6 and 6A?
Another huge problem with these Pilot Program laws is that they are not marking any of this stuff on the water with any buoyage. However, in answer to your question, there is a tiny patch of deepish water north of R6 where it appears to be legal to anchor; there is another small patch between G7 and the east end of the bridge, and you may be able to find another small patch down southwest of R10A. Other folks are anchoring up near the Vilano bridge or south of St. Augustine off the ICW. Yes, there is a pumpout boat, and yes you still have to pay for dinghy dockage. In order to pick up a mooring you first must bring your big boat into the marina and register it--don't pick up the mooring first or they will give you a lecture and make you come into the marina.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:15   #29

Boat: Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
... In order to pick up a mooring you first must bring your big boat into the marina and register it--don't pick up the mooring first or they will give you a lecture and make you come into the marina.
They actually call it trespassing!

Thanks for making my mind up! Here is the official ordinance:
http://www.staugustinegovernment.com...ringFields.pdf

Been to St Augustine a couple of years ago, liked the flair, anchoring was a bitch, partly because the space was used up with long-termers. Was planning on staying on a mooring for a few days, coming from Miami. After reading all this, we'll pass, if weather permits, on the outside. More welcoming places will get the money for dinners, provisioning, parts...

Thanks!

Dirk
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:05   #30

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Lets see, $20.00 a day for dinghy dockage, and $20.00 a day for the mooring ball......OR $34.00 a night at Motel 6 and leave the boat at home?????
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring