Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2020, 06:23   #1

Europe or the America’s to Australia taxes?

Hi all and thanks for taking the time to read this question.
Firstly, I have spent many hours reading previous posts and I have found most answers to my questions about buying a used sailing yacht in Europe or the America’s and spending a year or so sailing it back to Australia. One question I can’t find the answer to is, if I buy an already Australian flagged registered yacht but located overseas and transfer it into my name as an Australian resident and citizen will I be charged Australian GST of 10% and import duties of 5% when sailing back into Australian waters. The 5% duty does not apply to USA boats as a free trade agreement exists between USA and Australia. I am looking at a European boat with Australian registration, EU tax of 24% that has not been paid but as I will be exporting from the EU I should not have to pay the EU tax. I should add that buying a used boat located in Australia does not attract any GST, sales taxes or fees other than a transfer fee.
Thanks again for your time. Tim
timroving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2020, 08:40   #2

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40
Re: Europe or the America’s to Australia taxes?

I believe the main question would be has GST and import duties previously been paid to the Australian government? If yes then I believe you would not have any taxes to pay. I do not believe Australian flagged would change this as I am fairly sure you can have an Oz registered boat overseas that has never been imported into Australia, which would not of had any taxes paid.

Ilenart
ilenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2020, 15:01   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilenart View Post
I believe the main question would be has GST and import duties previously been paid to the Australian government?

That's the simple answer.

Unless it has previously been exported from Australia, then GST and Duty will be payable regardless of registration.

It's a bit more complicated if it was exported from Australia. Depending on circumstances, something may still be payable.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 02:30   #4
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post

It's a bit more complicated if it was exported from Australia. Depending on circumstances, something may still be payable.
Yep, this is correct AFAIK. Essentially anything added to the boat after it was exported will be subject to GST when it returns.

But this ain't tax advice
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, Europe, rope, taxes