Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2021, 11:11   #1

Entering the BVI

We have a cat chartered in the BVI for later this month and I just found out that one of our crew member's passport just expired. Is there a way to get around having to show your passport. Many boats sail in that area and I doubt the authorities are boarding boats and checking passports. I know a lot of responsible sailors check in but I bet there a few that don't. I was think of just picking this person up at the ferry port on St Thomas or St John. Any good advise would be helpful.
jim3842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 11:28   #2

Re: Entering the BVI

This is such a silly question, I want to call out “Troll!!!”

NOOOOOO! You can not travel internationally without a passport. NO! NO! And NO! (Are you getting my drift here???)

I assume you and your crew are flying to get to the BVI to pick up the boat. No airline will allow you to board an international flight without a passport valid for at least the duration of the trip PLUS whatever buffer the destination country requires. Typically the requirement that the expiration date is required to be AT LEAST 6 months later than your arrival but it varies from one country to another.

Geez…
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 12:31   #3

No reason to be rude. When I read your response I want to call out A-HOLE!

You assume wrong dingleberry. Flying into St Thomas which is a US territory and a passport is not needed. And I know the requirements.

Don't reply to my thread again. Go troll someone else's threads.

GEEZ!
Old 02-07-2021, 13:48   #4

Pay extra to get an expedited passport. Might be too late anyway.

Otherwise, there is no legal way to travel between countries without a passport. If you are asking for advice on how to break the law, I have none for you (and would hope that no one else here would, either). If you are asking what your odds are of getting caught, I imagine they are pretty high. You have to check in to the BVI, and when you do you have to present passports for all on board. Especially now, with the additional COVID restrictions that are in place, and the additional checking that entails, I would expect the odds of getting caught are very near to 100%.

Moreover, if you do get caught trying to bring in someone without a passport, you can plan on spending some time as a guest of the BVI, in a room with steel bars on the windows. The captain will be held just as responsible as the offending crew member (possibly even more).

The only sensible thing to do is either stay in the USVI (plenty of nice places to see there), or leave the fellow without a passport behind.

I hope you don't find my answer to be too rude. It certainly isn't intended that way. But really, trying to sneak someone into the country without a passport is a very bad idea!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 19:10   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim3842 View Post
We have a cat chartered in the BVI for later this month and I just found out that one of our crew member's passport just expired. Is there a way to get around having to show your passport. Many boats sail in that area and I doubt the authorities are boarding boats and checking passports. I know a lot of responsible sailors check in but I bet there a few that don't. I was think of just picking this person up at the ferry port on St Thomas or St John. Any good advise would be helpful.
You're asking how to break the law, how to get your buddy into the BVI's without checking in without a passport? Well, I hope you're caught and enjoy a big fat fine and your buddy gets a Caribbean vaccination inside Tortolas finest vacation spot for lawbreakers. What an ass you are.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 19:25   #6

Boat: Southerly 480

Your only hope is to get an in person appointment at a US passport office and get next day service. Watch the State department web site and keep trying to get that appointment. The odds are against you, but it's your only chance.
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 19:56   #7
cruiser

Just go
Wherever you want
Whenever you want
With no regard for rules or laws
The world is yours to take
Do so by the horns
Video record your shenanigans and make available for us all to see
Luvboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 06:49   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
You're asking how to break the law, how to get your buddy into the BVI's without checking in without a passport? Well, I hope you're caught and enjoy a big fat fine and your buddy gets a Caribbean vaccination inside Tortolas finest vacation spot for lawbreakers. What an ass you are.
Is this how you act by calling people names? Sounds like you had a few of those vaccinations. Walking funny these days?
Old 03-07-2021, 07:13   #9

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Come on guys, be fair to the OP. He's probably grown up in the USA so will firmly believe that Muricans are a higher form of human life, to whom international laws should not apply.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:25   #10

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Saba 50

The BVI put in place a Marine Exclusion Zone last year to limit vessels from operating in their western waters that border the USVI. It is still in effect and they have been closely monitoring the zone. Two sailboats strayed from US waters into this zone last year and were apprehended. One crew was fined $20,000 and the other elderly crew sat in house arrest for over a week as they were unable to pay the $20K fine - it was eventually reduced to $4K. All had valid passports.

With so few private vessels operating in this exclusion zone, it is very noticeable when a sailboat moves from BVI to USVI waters.
Cuvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:38   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
Come on guys, be fair to the OP. He's probably grown up in the USA so will firmly believe that Muricans are a higher form of human life, to whom international laws should not apply.
Ha what $hit hole are you from? I figure if anyone can come into the US without proper identification then let's just open all the borders.
Old 03-07-2021, 10:39   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuvee View Post
The BVI put in place a Marine Exclusion Zone last year to limit vessels from operating in their western waters that border the USVI. It is still in effect and they have been closely monitoring the zone. Two sailboats strayed from US waters into this zone last year and were apprehended. One crew was fined $20,000 and the other elderly crew sat in house arrest for over a week as they were unable to pay the $20K fine - it was eventually reduced to $4K. All had valid passports.

With so few private vessels operating in this exclusion zone, it is very noticeable when a sailboat moves from BVI to USVI waters.
Thank you for the information and being cordial. Some of these a-holes here must have been molested by their moms when growing up.
Old 03-07-2021, 18:54   #13

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay

Damn you guys are cattier than high school cheerleaders. Why would anyone wish another person go to jail and be raped for asking a question?
I understand expiration dates on passports, but seriously do you stop being a person when they expire?
My son who is a dual citizen was held for 3 hours when he was 6 yrs. old because one of his passports was expired, but I couldn't renew it till he was in the country.
I see some of you would hope my 6 yr. old son was raped in Tortolas finest for traveling on his non expired passport. I am speechless.
To the OP. Let's say you get expired non human passport holder into BVI, but then have an accident of some sort. Now you can't get him medical care, etc.. Problems just got much worse.
A pastor once told me of a grandmother that was smuggled into Canada in an RV because she had forgotten her passport. She died while in Canada. **** show ensued.
Sometimes you can do same day passports. Ask me how I know...
Old 03-07-2021, 20:11   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim3842 View Post
Is this how you act by calling people names? Sounds like you had a few of those vaccinations. Walking funny these days?

Speaking of vaccinations, if your group isn't fully vaccinated (two weeks after the final shot), expect to be jumping through hoops and being quarantined on your boat for seven days. Right now, if you are vaccinated, you skip all of that, but over the last few days, the worst outbreak of the pandemic, in the BVI, is occurring, and it's highly likely that protocols will be tougher by the time you get there. Reminder: check what the protocols are, as you have to fill out various things before you get on the ferry. And, if you are planning on coming in on your charter boat, everyone HAS to be vaccinated. Hope YOU are walking OK!
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:39   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
Speaking of vaccinations, if your group isn't fully vaccinated (two weeks after the final shot), expect to be jumping through hoops and being quarantined on your boat for seven days. Right now, if you are vaccinated, you skip all of that, but over the last few days, the worst outbreak of the pandemic, in the BVI, is occurring, and it's highly likely that protocols will be tougher by the time you get there. Reminder: check what the protocols are, as you have to fill out various things before you get on the ferry. And, if you are planning on coming in on your charter boat, everyone HAS to be vaccinated. Hope YOU are walking OK!
Yes all have been vaccinated and aware of the protocols. Actually picking the boat up in Tortola. Hopefully the outbreak subsides. Walking just fine!

Tags
BVI