Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2020, 21:40   #1

Boat: Beneteau/343
Entering Canada from the US. Any updates?

Have there been any updates on what is required to come into Canada from the US via yacht?

I’m hoping to go up to the Broughtons.
Old 13-05-2020, 22:06   #2

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 36
Re: Entering Canada from the US. Any updates?

According to the Vancouver sun it looks like the border will remain closed through mid June

https://vancouversun.com/news/canada...da-u-s-border/
Old 13-05-2020, 22:28   #3

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

Sorry, but I suspect the border will remain closed for many months the way things are going right now down South. Money over Life.
Old 13-05-2020, 23:46   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWSalmon View Post
According to the Vancouver sun it looks like the border will remain closed through mid June

https://vancouversun.com/news/canada...da-u-s-border/

Thanks. Let’s hope there is more progress.
Old 13-05-2020, 23:47   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugzyCan View Post
Sorry, but I suspect the border will remain closed for many months the way things are going right now down South. Money over Life.

Sigh. We didn’t pick a particularly sharp one this time around.
Old 14-05-2020, 08:46   #6

Boat: Grampian 26

Nothing personal. The borders need to remain closed until after the USA hits peak. Since states seem to be opening up before they are ready, any travel will unnecessarily expose us (and especially those people with weak immune systems) to the virus. Please, for me, just stay away. You will be welcome again when this is over.
Old 14-05-2020, 08:47   #7
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefromoregon View Post
Have there been any updates on what is required to come into Canada from the US via yacht?

US-Canada agreed to close borer until May 21 due to Covid-19. However, Canada-US boarder appears likely to remain closed until June 21 for non-essential traffic. (Reuters news service)

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
Old 14-05-2020, 09:15   #8

Some data that causes Canada to be hesitant to open the border to Americans:
Of the 2233 confirmed travel related coronavirus cases in Ontario and Quebec, from mid January to mid April, 774 came from the USA.
It has become obvious to international observers that public health decisions are being framed as hostile culture wars issues rather than as public safety concerns.
It is evident that American visitors are bringing more than their guns with them.
Old 14-05-2020, 09:21   #9

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefromoregon View Post

You may find some useful links in this recent thread. / Len

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...on-232363.html
Old 14-05-2020, 09:25   #10

Boat: Sea Sport Voyager 30'

Can’t recall where I read it but the Canadian govt is the one really pushing to keep it closed. Even the regional Canadian Coast Guard commander for BC had directly told US boaters to stay away via a news release. So I’d advise staying in Oregon for a few more months, OP.
Old 14-05-2020, 09:32   #11

Boat: 1991 Caliber 33

Although the boarder is "closed", on Saturday I tracked a Canadian boat, via the Marine Traffic app, going from Victoria BC across the boarder and then to Bellingham WA, where it still is moored. Is the boarder closed or not? And yes, I've been spending way too much time watching boats via Marine Traffic during these stay at home times.
Old 14-05-2020, 09:55   #12

Some nice differentiations you need to be aware of:

The US-Canada border is, of course, under Federal jurisdiction and the Canadian Border Agency will follow orders from Ottawa in regard to recission of the closure.

Health is a Provincial matter over which "the Feds", have little control. The Chief Medical Officer (Dr. Bonnie Henry) working with Provincial Health Minister (Adrian Dix) is in absolute control over what happens to ALL arrivals, Canadian and non-Canadian, once they set foot in BC.

Auntie Bonnie is a tiny, soft-spoken lady with a will of steel. An epidemiologist and a veteran of the Ugandan Ebola wars, and a RCN Flight Surgeon (Ret.) Thanks to her and Unca Adrian we have fared far better than most other places. At the very least, if you come here after an opening of the border, Auntie will require you to self-isolate, at your own expense, for two weeks and then be tested negative for the virus at a shoreside facility approved by the Ministry of Health and by the Board of Directors of the particular Health Region in which the PofE is located.

Once you are over those hurdles, you will have to deal with the Elders and/or the Band Councils of the First Nations Peoples. Because the vast majority of lands in BC are "unceded territory", i.e. no treaty was ever entered into twixt our sundry First Nations and the Crown, the First Nations retain the right to deny tourists the right to set foot on their "traditional territories". Given their "tribal memory" of the way "white man's diseases" decimated them in the fairly recent past, they can be difficult to deal with.

I think the probability of a non-Canadian going to the Broughtons this season will be scant indeed.

Auntie gives an update every weekday at 1500 hrs (PDST). If you google for "Bonnie Henry live May 14" just before 3 p.m. today you should be able to find her live press conference. Thereafter you can keep an eye on things as the mood strikes.

TrentePieds
Old 14-05-2020, 10:10   #13

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
Although the boarder is "closed", on Saturday I tracked a Canadian boat, via the Marine Traffic app, going from Victoria BC across the boarder and then to Bellingham WA, where it still is moored. Is the boarder closed or not? And yes, I've been spending way too much time watching boats via Marine Traffic during these stay at home times.
I understand that the border is open to commercial traffic by water. I have been told that includes commercial delivery of boats across the border. It is recreational use which is considered "non-essential".
Old 14-05-2020, 11:04   #14

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I would not make bet on anything at this point. I saw June 21st.
Old 14-05-2020, 11:20   #15

Boat: Hunter 386

I think the real gotcha in all of this will be the length of the border. The OP wants to enter in BC. At a certain point it might make sense to open the borders to recreational boaters in BC, but that means opening the borders to car traffic, which in turn means opening borders in Ontario and Quebec. I predict it will be a longer time until eastern hotspots die down enough to make that comfortable for the feds.

The crux is, as Trent Pieds pointed out, that while the border itself is federal (in both the US and Canada I believe) the health authorities are regional. So even if they open it a 2-week quarantine is likely and that lets out a lot of the usual boaters. Interesting times coming. My money is BC cruising is not going to open in time for Americans to enjoy it in 2020 unless they are fans of boating in September.

We should start a pool!
Closed Thread

Tags
Canada