Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2009, 11:10   #1

Boat: Island Packet 380
Entering a Foreign Port - VHF Protocol

Hi all,

I am a cruiser wannabe and working toward completing lots of
pertinent classroom curriculm on navigation, engine maintenance, cruise planning, etc. Basically learning anything I can get my hands on in addition to logging sailing hours until that magical day when the kids have left the nest and we can depart for parts unknown.

Right now I am taking a class on cruise planning and as with most book learning, there is what you understand in theory and then there's what happens in the real world.

Anyway...the class materials talks about hailing port officials on the VHF when entering a foreign port and the port official may be the port captain, harbormaster, customs officer or immigration officer.

I am looking for someone to explain to me exactly what you say when "hailing a port official" on the VHF. For those of you out in the real world cruising today, what is your practice?

I realize that each country has it's own regulations that should be followed, I am really just asking about the appropriate VHF protocol to hail a port official when this is done.
sweetsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 12:26   #2

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsailing View Post
Hi all,

I am a cruiser wannabe and working toward completing lots of
pertinent classroom curriculm on navigation, engine maintenance, cruise planning, etc. Basically learning anything I can get my hands on in addition to logging sailing hours until that magical day when the kids have left the nest and we can depart for parts unknown.

Right now I am taking a class on cruise planning and as with most book learning, there is what you understand in theory and then there's what happens in the real world.

Anyway...the class materials talks about hailing port officials on the VHF when entering a foreign port and the port official may be the port captain, harbormaster, customs officer or immigration officer.

I am looking for someone to explain to me exactly what you say when "hailing a port official" on the VHF. For those of you out in the real world cruising today, what is your practice?

I realize that each country has it's own regulations that should be followed, I am really just asking about the appropriate VHF protocol to hail a port official when this is done.
Best way to handle this is to get a copy of the latest cruising guide for the area that you will be visiting. Even then, protocol may change from one day to the next.

I don't remember many ports that "Require" checking in by VHF before making landfall. Certainly, it does not hurt to get on Chnl 16 and hail, "Harbor Master...Harbor Master, this is yacht 'Sweetsailing' " and wait for a reply. After about 3 attempts, drop it and head for the designated "Customs" entry dock (if there is one) or Harbor Master or Immigration dock. Each country is different.

I remember a few "Island Countries" (years ago), like Vavau, Tonga, that had designated anchorage areas for check-in and you had to call via VHF for the Customs and Immigration clearance and you couldn't leave your vessel until clearance was achieved. That tended to be more for extortion of your alcohol stores, more than anything else. I'm not sure that much of that still exists or not.

You will find out the correct procedure before you leave the previous port. Always be prepred to expect the unexpected and roll with the punches.....
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 12:49   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
It’s always acceptable to issue a “Securité” message:
"Hello all stations. This is s/v “XXX” entering (or requesting permission to enter) “YYY” harbour at Red/Green “ooX”.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 14:22   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
We have never called on the VHF except for 2 countries and they never responded!

As Kanani says use common words: Coast Guard, etc or if in a Spanish or French country Navy will be understood...

On the whole I would go with your gut feel that 'what happens in the real world' ..... what actually happens is we sail in and slowly motor past another yacht thats already anchored and ask them what the procedure is!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 14:44   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Hi Sweet Sailing and welcome.

I am sure every place is different. You will likely end up emailing or phoning a marina where you plan to stay and reprovision. You can glean local knowledge at that time. We often do Singapore-Malaysia-Singapore.

Leaving Singapore we file our immigration plan 2 days in advance and the crew is "pre-cleared" our boats port clearance is also completed with the crew manifest - We then sail out to the quarantine mooring and while protocol says you fly a Q flag and hail immigration & customs on VHF we only hail. Immigration comes by boat and we drop our documents in a basket. 5 minutes later they pass back all the passports and a signed & stamped copy of the port clearance. Our club does the paperwork for us for US20 but you can do it yourself.

Malaysia has 2-3 ports of entry near us. We sail directly to a port of entrance, tie up and proceed to immigration & customs. They stamp all the passports and issue a port clearance. No pre notice is required for Malaysia. Then we are free to sail to our destination.

Upon leaving we visit a port of entry and the passports are stamped. Returning to Singapore we proceed directly to the Q zone and hail immigration on VHF. Immigration comes anywhere from 20-45 minutes later, stamps the passports and we proceed home. No pre-clearance required coming back. Technically Singapore does not allow you to go ashore without visiting immigration.

Indonesia is more complicated and a "cruising book" is required for the boat. This is like a boat log and must be prearranged in advance. Indonesia is a bit more of a hassle to be honest.

The exact phrasing (to your original question) for Singapore goes something like:

"Singapore Immigration this is sailing vessel Relax Lah!, Relax Lah!, Relax Lah! on VHF 72" (repeated twice)

"Vessel calling Singapore imigration, say again" - (Ha, ha)

"Singapore Immigration this is sailing vessel Relax Lah! on VHF 72. We are at the Eastern Quarantine and request inbound/outbound immigration clearance"

"Relax Lah! Stand by"

From then on they show up or you call back. If it is busy you can hear them working other boats and often you can see them. You wait your turn...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote