Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2021, 19:41   #1

Ensenada to San Diego - check-in procedures?

Anyone arrived into San Diego from Mexico recently? Looking for recent check in procedures. Will be arriving about 10 Saturday night. URL links would be great if handy.

Thanks in advance.

Peter.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2021, 21:28   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Tanna 47
Re: Ensenada to San Diego - check-in procedures?

Good write up here. https://www.konakaimarina.com/marina/port-clearance/

Most relevant: Must clear U.S. Customs at the Shelter Island Harbor Police Dock.
Sailor279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2021, 08:23   #3

When we last cleared in San Diego in 2014, we tied up to the Shelter Island Police Dock. At the top of the ramp are procedures for calling US Customs. Since they work at the airport, expect an hour (or more) delay for them to arrive. Until you clear in to the US, you need to stay on the boat. The Customs Agents weren't happy that one of my crew was not on the boat and using the public restrooms. You can't bring in produce, eggs, meat, etc. -- they had very little humor regarding our limes for Margaritas -- limes, eggs,... all into the trash. As I recall, they did a boat inspection too.

There's also a $30 DTOPS decal needed, They weren't too happy we didn't have that, nor was there a way to purchase at the dock.

Overall, it was tedious to check-in in San Diego. Since 2014, I've begun checking in at Long Beach (I'd argue that since we are sailing from offshore, Long Beach is our closest port of entry). Clearing customs is as simple as calling their office, providing crew list, passport information, etc. They may ask you to dock in Long Beach (Rainbow Harbor), though we've always been processed over the phone. We usually call once we have cellphone coverage, around Newport Beach.

For us, there's 2-3 hours of motoring in/out of San Diego Bay, at least an hour or two waiting for customs and their time for paperwork.

Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2021, 15:54   #4

Thanks you both for your responses. I'm crew on a 37 foot trawler tomorrow after a bottom job at Baja Naval. The owner has been trying to reach the SD customs folks via phone as suggested in the linked article but no answer. Will play by ear I guess.

I'll drop a note of update in a couple days with our experience.

Peter
Old 26-11-2021, 16:26   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

what happens if you just show up at shelter island and fail to give 4 day notice before arrival ?
abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2021, 16:33   #6

Given the surveillance capabilities these days, and given you pass both a USCG station and a major Naval station, I don't plan to find out.
Old 27-11-2021, 03:49   #7

Location: On the boat; Bahamas November-May, East Coast of US May to November
Boat: Beneteau 49

Seems to me that you would use the ROAM App, no? That is how we check back in on the East Coast.
Nickodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2021, 07:16   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickodemus View Post
Seems to me that you would use the ROAM App, no? That is how we check back in on the East Coast.
Looks like this may indeed work. Was advised by agent in Ensenada to submit from US cell tower vs Mexican.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/pleasure-...-overview/roam

Headed out as soon as boat is launched in a couple hours.....

Peter
Old 27-11-2021, 08:08   #9

Boat: 1991 Californian 52CPMY

I second the use of the ROAM app. I arrived at the customs dock last year at 2:30am and was directed to load and use the app by some very unfriendly customs agents. When I finally got it done (took a while due to fatigue), we were told to vacate the dock. What? It is 3:30 am and there is plenty of room for other boats. The agent was adamant about us leaving. What a D#ck! so we had to putt around the harbor until light before getting fuel.

Overall, a very negative experience and I have cleared in many times before.

Cheers, Bill
montenido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2021, 11:10   #10

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Try using the CBP Roam app. Have used it on east coast and very easy. Usually just use and and wait (not too long) for a call from them. Need a smart phone as they may want to see your passports. and faces.

San Diego customs has been a pain for years. The actual law is checking in at a port of entry, not necessarily the closest one to where you're coming from, but if you ask SD customs they used to say had to stop, even though not legally required to.

Except for the captain everyone has to stay on the boat until cleared.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2021, 11:12   #11
Marine Service Provider

If vessel is US flagged and all aboard are US citizens whose passport numbers are registered with DTOPS you can check in electronically anywhere in the US or its territories if you have the decal.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2021, 14:41   #12

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

Directly across from the USCG dock in San Diego Yacht Harbor are two yellow mooring buoys I thought were quarantine buoys you could use while waiting for the Feds. However, on the charts they are not identified at all so I am not sure of the status.

I do know the USCG will take extreme umbrage if you continue to any other dock, such a yacht club or fuel dock before you clear their inspection.
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2021, 19:41   #13

Just finished checking in via the CBP ROAM app. I think it's fairly recent at SD. Worked our fine. Thanks to all who contributed. Was helpful.

Trip up was great. Nice little boat - 1981 Roughwater 37 trawler yacht with a single Perkins 6-cylinder. Averaged around 8 kts. Burned 3 gph. Around 35 gallons for the run.

Peter Click image for larger version

Name:	20211127_164116.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	248959Click image for larger version

Name:	20211127_144926.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	248960Click image for larger version

Name:	20211127_112906.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	248961
Old 28-11-2021, 08:48   #14

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Glad to hear that CBP Roam is usable in SD now. Greatly simplifies clearing in and no need to stop at the police dock if you get the phone clearance. Should still dump all veggies and other unallowed items offshore. It is illegal to put them in regular trash. Could also do a hit and run on the police dock as there are approved food trash cans there.

As far as the yellow buoys mentioned here, they are for quarantine boats to tie up to if arriving when customs is closed. Only seen them used when the dock was full. No problem tying up to the police dock while waiting for customs if that is needed, but only the captain is allowed to go to shore and only if need to report in by landline. They have cameras on the docks so they will know if you are cheating.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2021, 09:02   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Just finished checking in via the CBP ROAM app. I think it's fairly recent at SD. Worked our fine. Thanks to all who contributed. Was helpful.

Trip up was great. Nice little boat - 1981 Roughwater 37 trawler yacht with a single Perkins 6-cylinder. Averaged around 8 kts. Burned 3 gph. Around 35 gallons for the run.

Peter Attachment 248959Attachment 248960Attachment 248961
Always liked the Roughwater aft cabin yachts (37,41, 42). Reminds me of some of the 60’s Chris Crafts. Can you share a photo to two of the boat?
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
san diego