Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2021, 09:03   #16

Re: Ensenada to San Diego - check-in procedures?

Two additional thoughts

First, may have helped that I have Global Entry and Sentri. May have helped that both the owner and myself are AARP eligible

Second, I guess there used to be some sort of decal issued for a boat to cross border. The physical decal is no longer issued. But you still need the number that comes with whatever the certificate is (owner had that so I don't know process)

For east coast folks who frequent thr Bahamas, this is old hat. For those on West Coast - especially Mexico, still very strict. Tijuana border crossing is pretty amazing. In a car, 4 hour wait times are not unusual these days (Sentri greatly reduces the wait)

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2021, 09:15   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrcooler View Post
Always liked the Roughwater aft cabin yachts (37,41, 42). Reminds me of some of the 60’s Chris Crafts. Can you share a photo to two of the boat?
I don't have any really good pictures. There are three classic West Coast trawler Naval architects. Bill Garden (designed my Willard 36), Defever, and Art Monk, designer of the Roughwater boats and many others.

The R37 is a solid fiberglass boat that succeeded the R36 that had a plywood superstructure which was prone to rot (similarly, the R42 succeeded the R41)

Monk originally designed the R37 without a flybridge, however the flybridge was added for marketing purposes. The owner of this boat removed the flybridge to truck the boat from Seattle to San Diego and decided not to to reinstall it. I like the lines a lot compared to the flybridge.

Solid boat with simple, easily accessible systems. Unfortunately, bling sells so these style of boats will never be made again.

Peter. Click image for larger version

Name:	20211127_165059.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	248997Click image for larger version

Name:	20211127_101853.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	248998Click image for larger version

Name:	20211107_102801.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	248999
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2021, 10:11   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
I don't have any really good pictures. There are three classic West Coast trawler Naval architects. Bill Garden (designed my Willard 36), Defever, and Art Monk, designer of the Roughwater boats and many others.

The R37 is a solid fiberglass boat that succeeded the R36 that had a plywood superstructure which was prone to rot (similarly, the R42 succeeded the R41)

Monk originally designed the R37 without a flybridge, however the flybridge was added for marketing purposes. The owner of this boat removed the flybridge to truck the boat from Seattle to San Diego and decided not to to reinstall it. I like the lines a lot compared to the flybridge.

Solid boat with simple, easily accessible systems. Unfortunately, bling sells so these style of boats will never be made again.

Peter. Attachment 248997Attachment 248998Attachment 248999
Agree with all your comments regarding the background of these boats, and yes, I also prefer the lines without the flybridge. Thank you for sharing.
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2021, 13:06   #19

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

After reading this thread, I remembered I once bought a DTOPS decal. I found the receipt ($27) from last time we came into US at San Diego, in 2018. Guess what, the decal was only good for one year! One year decal might be good for some, but I don't think it helps at all for the average cruiser.

Tags
san diego