Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 10:04   #1

Dog in the BVI ?

Hi All!
I am having difficulty finding the latest regulations on sailing with a family dog in the BVI for January 2013. We currently reside in the US and will be sailing in the BVI in January and wanted to take our dog with us. Must we go directly to the BVI from the US or can we travel via St. Martin or another island? We have not made our definitive plans yet and will wait to hear more as she is definitely coming with us!

Please let me know where I can download forms and required procedures. Thank you so much for your advice!
boutry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:06   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Re: dog in the BVI?

Have you checked out Noonsite: The global site for cruising sailors and looked at the pets information for the BVI?
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:46   #3

Re: dog in the BVI?

Before you leave the US you have to get a rabies shot, then a titer test, then have a USDA vet sign the international form, then fax it all to the BVI -- fax only, no email. You'll get a permit back, which is good until one year after the rabies test on which the titer test was based. Then you can go anywhere before entering the BVI. But watch the dates on the permit.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 13:13   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Dog in the BVI ?

By all means, read the data on NOONSITE. There are places where your dog is not welcome. It could be confiscated and euthanized. THe rules vary all across the Carrib.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 07:44   #5

Boat: Seafarer 34'
Send a message via Skype™ to KelleyG

I have been researching this topic as well, and got he following response from the International Veterinary Health email. I'm coming from NY so that is why it says to contact JFK. There are offices all over the US though.

---------

Please visit the link below to find the regulations to have your pets travel abroad. In addition, we recommend that you contact the government of the country of destination to find out if there are additional regulations which you must adhere to.

USDA - APHIS - Animal Health - International Regulations

Note:
· Regulations are set by the country of destination; not by the USDA
· Most countries require the health certificate to be filled out by a USDA Accredited Veterinarian. However, some countries do not have this requirement. If you are unsure about which type of veterinarian should fill out the health certificate for your pet, then please feel free to ask.

For endorsement by the USDA Veterinary Services you may call (518) 218 - 7540 to setup an appointment at the Albany, New York Area Office. You may also mail the documents to the Albany, New York Area Office. For more information on mailing please click here.
OR
Contact our office at JFK to setup an appointment at 718-553-3570. Click here for the location and hours of operations.

Please bring these documents to your appointment or include in a mailed package:
If you are traveling with more than one pet then, each pet must have its own documentation as well as additional payment.
· The health certificate

· Rabies vaccination

· Rabies titer test results (if required)

· Import certificate (if required)

· Other documents that require endorsement

· Payment:

· Check or money order made payable to the USDA

o $37.00 per certificate (if rabies titer test is NOT required)

o $117.00 for one pet and $6.75 for each additional pet (if the rabies titer test IS required)

· We do not charge a user fee for service animals. We do require documentation from an authority declaring the animal as being a service animal.

Thank you and have a nice day

USDA, APHIS, Veterinary Services - Export Department

Kelley
Sailing Chance
KelleyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 08:18   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

KelleyG

Thanks for the link. Does "service animal" include therapy dogs?

Sadly, grey guy is gone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03357.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	289.0 KB
ID:	46946   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03284.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	375.5 KB
ID:	46947  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P3070036.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	393.7 KB
ID:	46948   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9050079.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	397.0 KB
ID:	46949  

Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 08:28   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

NOONSITE has info you will need for every country you wish to bring your critter. there are vet requirements that are different each and every place you sail, and there are monetary challenges tomeet as there are fees to consider for every single place you will go. i sail with a cat.
there are differing requirements for each method of travel, flying and sailing, also--be sure to check noonsite for the requirements of every place you wish to sail.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 08:30   #8

Sorry your grey guy is gone. They become family. I do love the pink shoes in the other pup.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 09:58   #9

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We carry Certified letters from both our home Vet(a sailor) and a mexican Vet with list's of all shots and such, along with list's of all required shots and even x-rays of them LOL we have had very few if any trouble so far ! of course they are small scum dogs LOL and just about everyone likes them on site! which helps! Just make sure ya have everything you can think of for proof of there health! it works for us !! or we leave !
Old 27-09-2012, 17:39   #10

Boat: Kanter 52' cutter

Dear Boutry:
Please look up an article on pets in the caribbean published in the Caribbean Compass, probably a couple years ago. I know it is in their on-line archives.

I am a veterinarian with a 52' sailboat and have made the difficult decision to leave my bull terrier with a house sitter, instead of departing to the Caribbean in one month. I have talked with over two dozen people who took their pets all over the island chain, and the consensus was that the legal red tape and the complications were a threat to the welfare of the dog. This article was excellent and documented the actual experience of travelling with a dog in the islands.
Regards and fair winds,
Dr. Michele
sailnautilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:36   #11
KDH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurian 42'

We spent 2.5 months in the BVI with our dogs in 2011. By the way, you have to past the BVIs to get to St. Martin so I suggest you stop there first. Check out the following threads for more info, including links and attached files for forms:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ppy-78633.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ica-77060.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...dog-71563.html

To clarify the email vs fax situation, the BVI will not email you a permit with a signature but will fax the one with the signature. You will also need to clear in at Road Town I think but you can clarify which points of entry are available. The vet that came to our boat lived just across from Nanny Cay but worked on another island so be sure to ask. I've included the info for Dominica in case you get that far south. Antiqua is also tricky for dogs. Basically, the former British islands are hard to get into and the French islands easier. Do not even think about stopping and not doing the paperwork as your dog could be shot on sight. Even with the paperwork in hand one official in Dominica threatened to shoot my dog instead of calling the vet for the inspection. If you go to Dominica you must anchor at the inspection dock to check in with the dogs as the vet does not have a boat to come to you and they weren't very happy to have to ride in our dinghy!
KDH is offline   Reply With Quote