Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2010, 04:51   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 419
Documentation ?

My boat is documented in RI, I want to move it to NY, do I just do an address change with the CG?

The bigger question is when a boat is transferred to another state like NY is there any sales tax due if the ownership is the same?

It was first documented 5 years ago

Called CG said call NY I can't get an straight answer.
Jimbo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 05:36   #2

Boat: Westsail 32
I just went through this, boat moved from RI to NY. If you, not the prior owner did not ppay sales tax when you purchased the boat then the State of NY wll be looking for sales tax on the value of the boat when you purchased it. Good luck!
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 06:27   #3

I think that the USCG just needs an updated mailing address. Your hailing port does not have to change. Hailing ports can be any place name and does not need to reflect where you live, or where the boat is moored. It can be a place where owner and boat have never even visited.
St. Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 06:31   #4

I live in RI, there is no tax.

I have a new job in NY and I'm moving there.

I don't think I should be required to pay NY tax when I was the original buyer new.

I called NY and got a run around over the phone.

I suppose I could leave the documentation as is in RI

But I'm trying to do it on the up & up.
Old 30-09-2010, 06:32   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Elsewhere View Post
I think that the USCG just needs an updated mailing address. Your hailing port does not have to change. Hailing ports can be any place name and does not need to reflect where you live, or where the boat is moored. It can be a place where owner and boat have never even visited.

Interesting!
Old 30-09-2010, 06:39   #6

I know about RI not having sales tax on boats. NY regs however are different and if you are to keep the boat here they will be looking for sales tax based on the value of the boat. NY is very hungry for every cent and they have people dedicated to finding boaters who are trying to fly under the radar, (They where kind enough to introduce themselves to me). The interest and penalties will make you wish you paid in the first place. There is a NY Sales Tax website that will give you very clear answers to any questions you may have.
Old 30-09-2010, 07:42   #7

Jimbo I checked the regulations a little more closely:

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/dmvfaqs.htm

It appears that being an out of state resident when you purchased the vessel allows you to file a form 803 exempting you from having to pay any sales tax.
Old 30-09-2010, 08:26   #8

803 should work thanks for checking
Old 30-09-2010, 08:38   #9

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
Ask John Kerry, he will know.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 08:48   #10

Boat: gulfstar 41 aux jenny lynn
Angry YOU WILL PROBALLY HAVE TO PAY SOMETHING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo2010 View Post
I live in RI, there is no tax.

I have a new job in NY and I'm moving there.

I don't think I should be required to pay NY tax when I was the original buyer new.

I called NY and got a run around over the phone.

I suppose I could leave the documentation as is in RI

But I'm trying to do it on the up & up.
Like here in South Carolina if you stay longer than 180 days you have to pay personal property tax 10 percent of boat value and it don't matter what shape your boat is in they have a book they go by and it dose'nt matter what you paid for the boat I had it out with them at the court house and filed for leagle residents because I live onboard it dropped to a 4 percent ratio money money you to death they did change it was screwed up 60 to 90 days a lot of cruisers were by passing sc because of taxes and and sc was loosing a lot of money from boater traffic.
jenny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 08:48   #11

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Most States require you to "register" the boat with them if you live there. Even USCG documented boats must be "registered" with the State - they do not give you any State Numbers or a State Title but they will normally give you a little decal to stick onto the side of the boat. They want to know you have a boat based in the State normally for taxation purposes. When you travel to another State - say cruise down and back up the east coast - each State's officials will be looking for that little decal. If you do not have one, you can get into a world of hassles.
- - There are two kinds of taxes on boats in the various States, one is, of course, the purchase Sales Tax. The other is what is called a "Use" tax. States who are adamant about getting a share of your money will either assess you the difference between the Sales Tax you paid when you purchased the boat and the new State's Sales Tax percentage. They normally rename this the "Use" tax as you are "using" the boat in the State's waters.
- - It is not uncommon for some States to exempt boats you purchased in another State and have owned and used for 10+/- years or so. The idea is to prevent folks from driving over the border and buying a boat in "cheaper" tax State and then returning it to the "high" tax State.
- - In your case you have obviously owned and used the boat in your previous State and are only moving due to employment requirements. It appears from another post that New York is one of the "reasonable" States not out to "get your money." Other States are not so nice.
- - As stated by others USCG Documentation only requires you to update your mailing address if you change locations. To change the basic Documentation Form to a new address of record requires much more work and some fees. All the information and forms are available on the USCG Documentation website and you can do it all yourself.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
documentation