Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2019, 13:59   #151

Boat: X442
Re: do you use side lights or tricolor?

I think there are quite a few enthusiasts who either don't know or don't care or both. Some time ago, passing through Amsterdam (is possible once per 24 hrs, at about 02:00 or so, depending on train traffic, etc, to determine when bridges can be opened), I happened to be more or less at the front of the convoy and looking astern, every boat made an attempt at showing lights, but very few if any were actually showing the correct vessel under power configuration. There was a whole array of solutions.

So there is a whole lot of carelessness coupled with incorrect interpretations coupled with maybe some local effects unique to Amsterdam... BTW I can strongly recommend 'de staande mast route' or route with standing mast, through The Netherlands.
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 17:40   #152

A few related comments.

One one crossing to Hawaii, the boat's deck level bow light stopped working. We did not have a tri-color, though we did have battery operated USCG approved navigation lights. Unfortunately, conditions were not conducive to mounting the portable LED on the bow (big seas, breaking waves....). Instead, we sailed most of the way to Hawaii WITHOUT navigation lights. BAD, BAD, BAD.... About 12 days into the crossing, we encountered a crossing situation with another sailboat with proper lights and us w/out lights. Scary. After that experience, I installed a tri-color on our boat.

On another crossing to Hawaii, the skipper had both the deck level and tri-color light (as recommended for the PacCup). The first night, he decided to light-up the tri-color, only to realize that the compass light was wired to his deck level navigation lights. No problem -- just run both. This drove me nuts, because it is a COLREGs violation. No reasoning with the A(*)$*(# skipper, though.

On a trip to Mexico, I encountered a So. Cal sailor with the tri-color mounted backwards. Go figure what's going on with this guy? Made for interesting crossings at 2am.

Approaching Turtle Bay after midnight. Another So. Cal sailor was trying to be helpful and anchored in the entrance. To make sure everyone saw him, he had his tri-color strobe light flashing. This wiped out my night-vision, so I couldn't really see anything. I wanted to t-bone the A)*$(#*$)# (just kidding).

Mast head tri-colors are great for offshore use. They are also recommended for the PacCup race to Hawaii. If you have one, know when and how to use it. Make sure it is installed properly. Don't use the strobe. The compass light is not a reason to violate the COLREGs (use a flashlight or wire the compass backlight properly).

After these experiences, I do have a tri-color on our boat, but use it appropriately.

Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 00:44   #153
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

In an offshore scenario, my feelings are that the priority is to SEE rather than be Seen.
If any nav light affects my nighttime visibility, it is turned off!

Coastal, I am constantly working the radar, so my night vision is already compromised and bow sidelights and stern reflections are not a big deal

Offshore, the occasional check of my X-track error on a standalone GPS , Plotter on standby with a Radar sweep every 20 minutes.

All other lights / distractions are turned off to protect my vision and I run with the masthead Tri-light and All round with the proper vertical visibility.

When I see these UTuber boats, especially Cats, running at night with cabins ablaze. Playing games or watching movies while supposedly on watch, I have to shake my head and wonder which god they are relying on?

Night vision has saved me far more than any navaidClick image for larger version

Name:	1%20DSC_3601.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	437.6 KB
ID:	200727Click image for larger version

Name:	2%20DSC_3624.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	410.4 KB
ID:	200728
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 04:56   #154
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Not just some yachties who watch videos on Watch.

https://gcaptain.com/maib-watch-offi...ore-grounding/
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote